• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fretting over the inevitable...

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
I have two budgies. I never really wanted budgies, they're cool little guys, and for many I have no doubt are great fits, but not really for me. I'm just not a little bird person...

I got Daryl the budgie as a sick budgie from a local pet store. Not a good store but that's a little off topic.. I won't get into the cages they keep the birds in.... Anyway , We had told them they had a sick bird. They said 'thanks' and promise to do something. We come back a week later and he's even sicker and not moving on the bottom of the cage. We were told that he's been in the back room? And that someone accidentally put him in. They did nothing to take care of him and he had severe mites and foot deformities. They gave him to us half off and we ran him to our local vet. We were told he did indeed have bad mites, was five years, and she thought he had a tumor. He was given a month to live. We quarantined him and treated his mites. Tried to give him the best life.

Few years later and he is still around. Not sure how long I've had him ( think 2-3 years). Later, we got him a friend , Carol the budgie as my other birds were bigger , and they are a mated pair and love each other. I have regrets about getting Carol from a pet store, and for assuming they would get along but what is done is done , I have realized I made some mistakes and why you shouldn't buy birds from pet store and I'm firmly for rescuing/getting rehome birds now. But they are happy and I love her and Daryl. That's all that matter now..

But Daryl is older. He will not live forever. It amazes me he's lived as long as he has. He has had a very rough life. His better diet and living conditions have given him a good shot but budgies on average don't live that long? I've read 5-10? He's around 7/8 and lived most of that very sick and not ideally!

I'm scared about what to do with Carol. The budgies are not hand tame and want nothing to do with us. I'm not getting more budgies. But she's going to be so lonely. I'm not giving her up, I took a vow for each of my birds.

But what do I do? Is seeing the other birds good enough? Indirect contact with my other birds? The idea of Daryl passing and watching Carol dealing with loosing her mate is crushing. But I need a plan...

Help? :(

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'm kind of in the same position with our budgies. Last year, our Sky, our EB, passed. (he was 11 years old, a long life for an English budgie) That left Marley as our only budgie. I did not want another budgie...after all, at that time we had six birds, and my wife and I are getting older, which makes it difficult to properly care for larger numbers of birds.
Since Marley is about 7 years old, I didn't think getting a new bird from a pet store would be a good idea...they only way to get a bird is from a rescue...after all most rescues you come across always have budgies needing a new home.
Anyway, imagine my surprise...and distress... when I came home to see that my wife had bought a new budgie from the pet store! She even had the bird set up in the room we quarantine new birdies when they come home.
We now had Omega...named because I announced that it would be the LAST bird that comes into our house. Marley and Omega are now a bonded pair,and have produced eggs (Omega is the girl)
They are very much opposites in age...Marley is now 8, and Omega is not yet 2. I don't know what will happen when Marley passes...he's very healthy...and we have had good luck in having our birds live long lives with us.
Our budgies are definitely "hands-off"...and want no interaction with us...like I said, they're bonded to each other, and very happy to be so....when and if something happens, we'll have to cross the bridge when we get there, I guess...

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
@cassiesdad
Thank you for sharing, I really appreciate it. Nice to know I'm not the only one that's gotten into this situation.
It's so unfortunate :( I don't like this at all...

I hate to say it... But I volunteer weekly at a parrot sanctuary and I've thought about surrendering Carol if something happens to Daryl. I don't want to rehome her when I could provide the same care for her that I swore to, and the sanctuary has an aviary dedicated to budgies and other small guys...
I say that, but I don't think I can do it...

I've thought about trying to bond with her once he passes. I think that and trying to get her to indirectly interact with the tiels is what I'll do...

Not a fun thing to think about :(

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
When, and if, Omega outlives Marley, she will remain with us. Like you, we've made the commitment to her, and we're not going back on it. It will be sad to see one little budgie alone in their cage, but then maybe we can develop a more in-depth interaction with her. You see single-kept budgies all the time that are happy and healthy.
Either way, she'll be loved and cared for...