• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fresh Suggestions

Dlynjen

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone! I am once again consulting the forum on advice for my new(ish) Tucuman Amazon, as there is still little information on them floating around out there.

I am currently feeding her Zupreem fruit blend, topped off with Goldenfeast's Amazon blend.. It's what the rescue gave me, and my vet gave the OK for it. (I assume this is an OK diet for her?)

(She really is an odd little thing. She doesn't play, or make much noise besides talking.)

I have tried feeding her chop, and she rejects it every time. I was hoping for suggestions on different fruits, veggies, or combinations to try.

The only fruits she likes are banana, and specifically seedless black grapes. Red or green grapes get thrown. Occasionally she'll eat strawberry or apple, but they usually get pushed aside.

Tookie has rejected pineapple, orange, pear, kiwi, lettuce, carrot, celery, and broccoli.

I also tried peanut butter and she didn't like it at first, but I smeared a tad on her bowl and it later disappeared. :lol:

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Between the green grapes, pear, kiwi, lettuce, celery, and broccoli, it appears she really doesn't like the color green! :roflmao:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Have you tried to offee sugar snap peas, or green beans? Many Amazons love to hold their food. It's fun to tear the veggies up to get to the peas and beans inside.

Slices or quartered pieces of yellow squash or zucchini?

Cooked or steamed sweet potato?

A few suggestions here of some good beneficial foods. Fruits are good now and then, but sticking with berries goji, blueberry to pomegranate are better then citrus type fruits. Banana is good too low calorie, even my dogs like banana here :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm not keen on the fruit blend but it's because of the additives they use for the colors.

I think I gave mine the colored version at first but I switched to natural.

Remember they can switch their minds easily. Secret only takes seeds from the green beans then suddenly last night started gnawing the entire bean!

Have you tried peppers?

Dlynjen

Meeting neighbors
Have you tried to offee sugar snap peas, or green beans? Many Amazons love to hold their food. It's fun to tear the veggies up to get to the peas and beans inside.

Slices or quartered pieces of yellow squash or zucchini?

Cooked or steamed sweet potato?

A few suggestions here of some good beneficial foods. Fruits are good now and then, but sticking with berries goji, blueberry to pomegranate are better then citrus type fruits. Banana is good too low calorie, even my dogs like banana here :)
I will be sure to try all of these!

Dlynjen

Meeting neighbors
I'm not keen on the fruit blend but it's because of the additives they use for the colors.

I think I gave mine the colored version at first but I switched to natural.

Remember they can switch their minds easily. Secret only takes seeds from the green beans then suddenly last night started gnawing the entire bean!

Have you tried peppers?
We tried peppers today. They got thrown.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We tried peppers today. They got thrown.
Remember to try various ways: whole, sliced, slivers, chopped or ground. Sometimes they'll try something if you pick up a piece from a bowl and eat it in front of them..... then pick up a piece from that bowl and give it to them.

I'm still trying to figure Secret out so truly its a lifelong mission!

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Try pretending to eat whatever you offer them. Also try offering in all different sizes (small in a bowl, to large on a skewer), try serving raw and cooked. You can make a mash with sweet potato and other veggies cut up tiny and mixed in. We've also had good luck "luring" our Meyers parrot to fresh foods by topping them with a few favorite seeds.