• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Fresh (Red) Blood in Stool

Status
Not open for further replies.

drop

Rollerblading along the road
I noticed one of Ash's poops had a little bit of blood near the end. I have attached a picture, after the poop was smeared, sorry didn't think of taking a picture before.

While I was rifling through the other poops on the paper, I did come upon a small wood shard, sort of like a splinter, less then 2mm long and smaller in width then the smallest tip of a tooth pick.

He just had a poop, and then another, with no trace of blood. I am thinking the wood that he ingested may have scratched him inside. What can I do for him now? He is acting fine, singing, playing, eating. He is up past his bedtime just so I could observe poops but he really should be getting to bed soon.

I read here that Metamucil and/or peanut butter could be given to help pass a foreign object, I have none of either. I have pumpkin purée (a good source of fiber, if I am not mistaken), could this be a substitute for now? He had eaten some squash and quinoa prior, is that sufficient or should I offer something else?

Here is the picture. What should I do until we can get to the vet? Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

***please note that he had pooped on a paper that had red ink on the other side, the only actual blood on the photo are the dark red spots in the upper right hand corner. Also please note that the poop was smeared prior to taking the picture, it did not come out looking like that.***

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Maybe someone will look soon that can offer some advice .....

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, it sounds like the problems could be near the end of the GI tract, have you checked the vent for blood? What I would do if it were one of my birds is give it some slippery elm mixed with applesauce, very good for soothing and healing the GI tract. Second choice would be cayenne pepper either on food or in food, cayenne will stop internal bleeding. If you have aloe-gel or aloe-detox, mix it 1 part aloe and 5 parts water and give it to him with a pipette or eye dropper on his tongue or in his lower beak, do not quirt down the throat. If he like the aloe mix it with more aloe and less water. The aloe will soothe the GI tract and help with infection.

Call your avian vet in the morning and explain the situation. Should he start heavy bleeding, get him to an emergency vet. There you may have to tell them, (if they are not avian trained),he needs a product called Sucrate (Sucralfate). This will also stop the bleeding. Watch a couple more poops for piece of mind.

The Veterinary Use of Sucralfate (Carafate) in Pets

gary

Last edited:

drop

Thanks Gary.

Checked the vent first thing after seeing the poop, no blood or anything abnormal as far as I could tell.

He had cayenne in his last meal, should I give more? The thing is, he was not on his cage or park since eating (he was with me), so whatever wood he swallowed, this was prior to his meal. Do you think what he had eaten in the meal would be enough, or should I wake him up to give him a "boost"? I would rather not wake him up if I don't have to.

He is now asleep, but he had pooped a few more times and there was no trace of blood nor wood.

Where is Slippery Elm usually purchased? I will pick some up and make sure to have it on hand in the futur.

Last edited:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
I think he will be fine but for piece of mind get up in the night and check his poops. You may want to purchase of few of the things I listed if you don't have them.

It sounds like he passed the obstruction or part of it...........

gary

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Note sure where you are located but a good health food store will have slippery elm. There are many good articles on the net about it.

gary

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending healing vibes from here. :hug8:

drop

Thanks so much. I have the Aloe but did not think of giving it, dumb me. The Slippery Elm is definately on my list.

I am now worried about him swallowing futur debris. Should I take away wood toys for now? He does not chew much so I don't think they'll be missed very much.

What do you think?

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
You might consider taking them away while he heals.

gary

drop

Will do then.

Seeing as he is not a big chewer at all, are there any materials that you would suggest for a bird that may be prone to ingesting non-food items? Things that are easier to pass in case they are ingested. He loves to shred. I can't just fill his cage with acrylic just to ease my mind...

I don't want to seem like I am getting paranoid, but who knows how often he has done this and the piece just passed un-noticed without causing a problem.

His style of chewing is almost like "teething", and I almost feel like this was not the first and will not be the last time. :(

Last edited:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
We give all our birds wood to chew and hard acrylic toys. I feel they need the wood to keep their beak in condition. We have already taken away their freedom and I would hate to take away their favorite pastime on top of that.

gary

drop

I didn't really mean it in a permanant sense. I meant for now. Sorry if I misworded myself. :o:

Thanks again for all your advice.

Last edited:

~Tiko~

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tammy
Healing vibes being sent! :hug8:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine

How is Ash today?

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Yes how is Ash today?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sending healing energy. Hope he is better!:hug8:

GreenParrot

Sprinting down the street
I've probably missed it somewhere but what bird is Ash? Whats the sex of the bird?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
hopefully Ash is doing well please give us an update!!

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I've probably missed it somewhere but what bird is Ash? Whats the sex of the bird?
Wondering the same thing.
I would also wonder about possible egg binding if a female or unknown sex.
I know this sounds gross...But I had a bird masterbating and this happened before. YEP you heard it here...it was a quaker and he used a beaded chain and yep...started to poop some blood. He was crazy about that chain too! UGH
I have seen many things cause the blood in stool.

I would never treat my birds with any holistic remedy without taking the bird in for testing first!

Status
Not open for further replies.