• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fresh out of the shell

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Blue works for me. Font isn't that important, just not a script since they can be hard to read. I guess maybe part of my signature that I have now - Owned by a flock of birds, a psychotic cat, and one old goat.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of my little ones has gone off to her forever home. The other one will go to a new home sometime next week. I'm going to spend these last few days doing some flight training, and of course being spoiled rotten. I'm sad to see them go, but I'm happy they are going to good people. I asked for pictures as they grow so I can see their eventual adult colors.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Thanks, Brian for the update. I'm glad they're getting good homes.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is my last picture. This is the oldest one that hatched on October 14th. She, at least I think it's a girl, went to a nice family in New Mexico on Saturday, December 23rd. That was our last chick for the year. I'm going to enjoy the peace and quiet between now and when the 2019 clutches start to arrive.

Attachments

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
It was a lot of fun to read through this thread. So amazing to see those little girls growing up. Really glad that they both went to good homes.

I am curious...

Did either of the chicks like to roll over and lay on their back? Seems like that is a common behavior in sun conures.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
They would lay on their back in my hand, if I got them late enough in the evening when they were tired. If I tried it earlier in the day, they had too much energy and it was impossible to get them to be still. Once they started flying that's all they wanted to do.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Funny that, Cheddar will lay on his back in the morning but is way too cranked up in the afternoon/evening to do so.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Seems like the sun conures do it more than any other type of bird. But I have seen some videos with the green cheeks doing it as well.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Cheddar is a GCC and as friendly as can be. He loves to be handled and snuggles up to me all the time. Now if I can just get Riti, Kakariki, to understand I'm not out to eat her I'd be happy.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Hey Mark, wasn't it you that told me that you visit Sugarcreek Bird Farm occasionally?

I finally checked it out a few days ago. Great place!!! Super friendly and knowledgeable staff, clean, lots of birds, great selection of food, supplies, and toys. What's not to like?

It was so cool to see the toucan flying around in his enclosure. Also, that is the first time I have ever seen a palm cockatoo. Amazing!!

I was able to pick up some new foods for Mango to try, like Higgins and Roudybush. It's cool that they also sell frozen chop! Next time, I am going to take a cooler so that I can bring some home for Mango. I am too lazy to make it!!

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Yep, I go there all the time. In fact Dodger, Riti and Cheddar all are from there. Dodger was a drop off rescue I took in and both Riti and Cheddar where hatched and raised there. The "Wall o' Toys" is great and I buy most of the food I offer from them, fresh food I get at the grocery store of course. Burnie runs the place now that her dad's retired and they as you said do a good job. You missed the outdoor Avery as they are rebuilding it but come summer all the big birds and some of the smaller one as well get to fly around out there.

My bestest feathered friend there is Boomer the Gray, I have spent hours scritching her head and would buy her in a second if she was from sell...and I was younger. She's such a sweet heart. I feed both Higgins, Safflower Gold and Roudybush Minis myself.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Yep, I go there all the time. In fact Dodger, Riti and Cheddar all are from there. Dodger was a drop off rescue I took in and both Riti and Cheddar where hatched and raised there. The "Wall o' Toys" is great and I buy most of the food I offer from them, fresh food I get at the grocery store of course. Burnie runs the place now that her dad's retired and they as you said do a good job. You missed the outdoor Avery as they are rebuilding it but come summer all the big birds and some of the smaller one as well get to fly around out there.

My bestest feathered friend there is Boomer the Gray, I have spent hours scritching her head and would buy her in a second if she was from sell...and I was younger. She's such a sweet heart. I feed both Higgins, Safflower Gold and Roudybush Minis myself.
Yes, I saw the work they were doing on the outdoor aviary. I can't wait to go back to check it out in the spring.

Oh man....at one point I was talking to someone and she said "turn around, you have a friend" and when I turned around, there was a beautiful African Gray leaning toward me trying to step up onto me! They told me that she likes guys so I picked her up and she was awesome!!!!!!!!! I hung out with her for about a half hour and hated to leave her. I am not sure if that was Boomer, but she was amazing, friendly and talkative.

I spent time hanging out with lots of the birds. So many of the Cockatoos loved to have their heads scratched. I also loved the Lories who were also very friendly and starved for attention.

I am not a big fan of Macaws though. Those things are so loud and have beaks that could rip your arm off. I don't think I could ever be comfortable with a bird that big, loud, and potentially dangerous.

They now have a breeding pair of blue-headed pionuses!!!! I am a fan of pionuses so it is very tempting to sign up for a chick.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I will point out that it can be a very bad place to go for your bank account. :laughing6:

Boomer doesn't talk much, in 9-10 years I've been going down I've only heard her say one thing, "Gotta go to Walmart!" but she's a sweaty as is Stella. Yea I'm with you on the Macaws....that "Can Opener" is way to big for my taste. I'll stick with my Tiels, GCCs, Kakarikis and Parrotlets.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Seems like the sun conures do it more than any other type of bird. But I have seen some videos with the green cheeks doing it as well.
My green cheek will lay on her back, but she holds on for dear life, like I'm going to drop her or something. I do see her laying on her back in her cage sometimes though. Pretty strange since she will hang upside down from my finger or her perch. I call her my vampire bat bird. My golden will lay on her back in the crook of my arm sometimes. She doesn't hold on to anything.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
My green cheek will lay on her back, but she holds on for dear life, like I'm going to drop her or something. I do see her laying on her back in her cage sometimes though. Pretty strange since she will hang upside down from my finger or her perch. I call her my vampire bat bird. My golden will lay on her back in the crook of my arm sometimes. She doesn't hold on to anything.
There is something really cool about a bird that is trusting enough to lay on its back. I would love to teach that to my bird someday.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Cheddar has done it from the day he came home.

HappHappyGuy.jpg

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I can play with Farlie and roll him over but he wont stay in that position for long. He jumps up and looks around after a few.