• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fresh out of the egg !

tacotaco

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jeremy
Hey everyone,

So 2 weeks ago my dove laid 2 eggs. Nothing new. I always swap out the eggs with plastic. This time around I had homes lined up for both eggs. So I let them do their thing. Only one was fertilized. So today it hatched. Wicked exciting! I knew the egg was pipping today but it was taking its sweet time unzipping the egg. So I was patient and waited. So I went about my chores around the house and heard a weird sound.

Willis (male Ringneck Dove) was in the nest stomping around ??? Not just hopping but switching from foot to foot very quickly. Almost vibrating or something. So weird. So I look and there’s the baby ! Underneath his father who is doing this strange Irish jig ??? I was nervous he was doing this on the little hatchling ! Then he roughly nudges him to the other side of the nest !

Thomasin ( Female Ringneck Dove) was busy eating some food. So I quickly removed the father and checked the baby. His little nakie wing tips were bright red. I was very nervous his father was picking him up or biting him on the tips of his wings. I quickly put mom back in the nest to make sure dad wasn’t alone with the baby ! Thankfully she covered the baby and began feeding it.

To be fair I have a lot of experience with doves but I’ve never let their eggs hatch due to lack of prepared homes when eggs are laid. This is my first hatchling! I didn’t necessarily catch Willis being aggressive to the baby, but I did catch him being very rough with it. He is a very territorial Male. Should I be concerned ? Is he just inexperienced? Tips ?

Thanks ahead of time

Attachments

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sounds like Dad is aggressive with baby, not sure why, I've had a Daddy tiel be that way, had to remove dad so he didn't hurt the babe. The babies wing tips look like Dad was picking him.. can you intervene and help mom? Keep babe safe, and keep Dad away, maybe he sees babe as an intruder? @Zara ??

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh wow, that little chick is so precious! Sorry I have no knowledge of dove babies. But as Birdbabe said, I would separate the dad from the chick. Maybe in a second cage placed side by side. You can still allow the parents out in the room together, but keep Willis out of the cage with the chick in.

tacotaco

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jeremy
Sounds like Dad is aggressive with baby, not sure why@Zara ??
Bummer. I’m going to watch them again carefully when it’s mother gets off the nest. It could have just been me walking in at an awkward moment and being overly nervous. I’ll also update pictures because why not !?

I was hoping someone had seen their dove “running in place” like Willis was doing last night and tell me it’s normal. Ugh. Wish me luck !

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Good luck! Also heheheheheehe the little baby dove looks so funny! I've only ever seen baby lovebirds that small! I really really hope that this all works out for you! :)

tacotaco

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jeremy
Good luck! Also heheheheheehe the little baby dove looks so funny! I've only ever seen baby lovebirds that small! I really really hope that this all works out for you! :)
They really are tiny aliens !

tacotaco

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jeremy
Ok so I got a video of him with the baby ! I’m just not sure what he’s doing or his intention. Thomasin is super gentle and sweet but Willis just keeps on dancing and pecking. I’m not really sure how to add a video. I’ll attempt to share in a little bit

Attachments

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
How strange!! I have no idea what that's all about, but at least the baby has a full crop! they're definitely feeding it.....It's probably not a good thing that Willis is doing though...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would definitely remove the male before he hurts the little one.
Maybe he´s confused?
Is mum taking good care of the squab?

tacotaco

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jeremy
I would definitely remove the male before he hurts the little one.
Maybe he´s confused?
Is mum taking good care of the squab?
She is doing great! He’s just so rough. I suppose he can go back in the cage once the baby is older? It’s just so fragile. He keeps trying to readjust the babyby picking it up by it’s wings. Stresses me out ! I guess I’ll break out the spare cage. He’s going to be frantic not being with his partner