• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fresh fruits and veggies

Rex1718

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jack Winkle
My parakeets will eat just about anything I give them, at the very least they will try it. I’ve had them all from a young age, so they have always been offered fresh foods.
But my green cheek is really picky. I offer all kinds of things every day, her favorite is apples. I can normally get her to try whatever I’m eating and she loves tasting my tea.
We got Tiki from an apartment at which the tenant moved and couldn’t take her. Was told she was about a year and a half. She was being fed some parrot food from Walmart, seeds mainly. I tried to switch her to pellets but she didn’t seem to like them. I started getting her a bag of “sensible seeds” and that is her main diet.
Although I offer her fresh fruit and veggies every day, she rarely eat any, and suggestions on helping improving her diet.
I guess it’s worth mentioning that both my bird cages have three bowls. One for water, one for bird food/ seeds, and one for veggies
Thanks in advance

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Thank you for taking her in, and trying to get her on a healthier diet! Since she was only given seed her whole life it may take some time. Have you tried sprouting? Seed addicts normally take to sprouts, since they are technically still seeds. When my birds are being picky with a new veggie, I wet it down and hang it from the roof of their cage with sprouts on it. At the very least, they get a taste of it while picking the sprouts off ;)
The only other advice I can give is to just keep trying. Keep trying different veggies, different fruits, pellets etc. Also, think of different ways to serve them (in a chop, hanging from the roof of the cage, etc)
My birds took almost 2 months of pellets being given before they started eating them. They also ignored veggies for quite some time too...now they run over to check out what it is before I’m even done putting them in!

Good luck to you! Hopefully others will be by with some more tips for you.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
1.) Only offer the food you want your bird eating for at least an hour in the morning before putting in their regular food for the day.

2.) Can your green cheek "eat" with your budgies? That is, set it up in such a way that your conure can watch your budgies eat, thereby enticing him to eat better?

For more ideas....

Rex1718

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jack Winkle
1.) Only offer the food you want your bird eating for at least an hour in the morning before putting in their regular food for the day.

2.) Can your green cheek "eat" with your budgies? That is, set it up in such a way that your conure can watch your budgies eat, thereby enticing him to eat better?

For more ideas....

I will try to hold out on her seeds like you suggested on the days I’m off.
She can see the parakeets and they tolerate each other ok outside their cages, but Tiki doesn’t care for them much.
We actually got the parakeets, two at first to try and give Tiki some company. That never took off and we ended up getting another parakeet

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Even if birds don't really get along or care for each other, they still have something of a flock mentality! ;) That is, monkey see, monkey do! I've seen this several times with my own birds!

Rex1718

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jack Winkle
Thank you for taking her in, and trying to get her on a healthier diet! Since she was only given seed her whole life it may take some time. Have you tried sprouting? Seed addicts normally take to sprouts, since they are technically still seeds. When my birds are being picky with a new veggie, I wet it down and hang it from the roof of their cage with sprouts on it. At the very least, they get a taste of it while picking the sprouts off ;)
The only other advice I can give is to just keep trying. Keep trying different veggies, different fruits, pellets etc. Also, think of different ways to serve them (in a chop, hanging from the roof of the cage, etc)
My birds took almost 2 months of pellets being given before they started eating them. They also ignored veggies for quite some time too...now they run over to check out what it is before I’m even done putting them in!

Good luck to you! Hopefully others will be by with some more tips for you.
Can any seeds be sprouted, like any seed in the “sensible seed blend”

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Can any seeds be sprouted, like any seed in the “sensible seed blend”
many of the seeds in mixes are either coated with supplements and it causes a 'muck', or they are old or improperly stored and no longer viable so will not sprout.
Buy seed especially sold for sprouting. Sproutpeople is very good about teaching you how to sprout and selling good seed, they even have several bird mixes

Rex1718

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jack Winkle
many of the seeds in mixes are either coated with supplements and it causes a 'muck', or they are old or improperly stored and no longer viable so will not sprout.
Buy seed especially sold for sprouting. Sproutpeople is very good about teaching you how to sprout and selling good seed, they even have several bird mixes
Thank you again

Rex1718

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jack Winkle
Just an update, I’ve finally got Tiki eating pellets, it’s funny she gets them and drops them in her water bowl and makes soup. She seems to enjoy them