• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fresh face... kind of

Status
Not open for further replies.

WendyBird

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Wendy
Well okay so I'm not really new, I've been lurking here for about three years getting my bird fix secretly and using everything I learn to impress my friends and irritate my relatives with random tidbits of information and unsolicited bird advice whenever they consider getting fids. ;) I've been bird crazy since 1995 when I saw that famous Nature special, you ALL know the one - Look Who's Talking
Plus it kind of runs in the blood, since I was raised by an avid birdwatcher, as well as my grandparents, and I enjoy bird watching whenever I have a few minutes outdoors.

I've only had the two budgies, Rocket was my little heart, I purchased him when I was 9 and the tiel a friend was rehoming to us escaped from her cage and flew the coop the night we were supposed to pick her up.
He lived six years (not nearly long enough) and passed away from a secondary infection from scratching at a fatty tumor that was partly obstructing the vision in his right eye for the last couple months of his life. He went downhill in just a few days and passed.

The other little one I hardly knew since our cat determinedly worked open the bedroom door, popped open his cage and traumatized him so badly while attempting to eat him he went into shock and died a few hours later.  I hardly had him a week, but he was lively and full of vinegar, and obviously not hand fed since he though hands were something that you tried to rip the flesh off of. Pinch and twist.
I didnt even consider getting another bird as long as that cat was alive though, he was a single minded hunter, and when he got old he went blind and became my special needs kitty so I didn't have the time then.

Now, all grown up, I have my little dog, who I swear barks at the exact same pitch and nearly the volume of an excited G2 when she get's worked up, she's a little white fluffy mutt too that loves nothing more than to have the back of her neck and head scratched.
I can't currently afford the initial purchase price of even a small bird (cage etc are just too much), so I'm saving up for that now. My working schedule is actually pretty good for a small bird, I work overnights so a quieter bird like a parrotlet or Tiel could easily be kept and socialize in the morning and early afternoons. Once I save up the money of course.

But until then I'm just here to satisfy my bird cravings so I don't rush into anything. And I've mostly signed up now, because I got tired of seeing little questions go unanswered here and there when I knew the answer to them. xD

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! I hope that you continue to enjoy the site!

Matt

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Welcome to Avian Avenue!:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
welcome!!!!!!!!!!

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Welcome. Make sure that you also consider the potential for emergencies. At least make sure you have a credit card available for emergency vet care. Keep an eye on your local craigslist for a cage. Sometimes there are really good deals if you know what you're looking for. You have to watch out for rust and check the brand to make sure it's not something that will have lead. :welave:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Welcome to the Avenue!:D

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm glad you decided to join in. I have to agree with Jen, if you don't have a credit card you could start putting money in a savings account solely for an avian vet.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
To give you an idea how much to set aside, my vet bill this month for two healthy birds was slightly over $1000. Granted, I just got them both and ran a bunch of tests on them, but they're many of the same tests that would be run for a bird that was sick. The visit alone for a well-bird at my vet is $100. I'm not saying don't do it, just be prepared. You've been checking out the board for a few years now, so you have a good idea of what types of things can happen. You should also be able to do a well-bird visit right after getting the bird. Plan for about $150 for the visit and DNA sexing. Your vet might recommend more tests for baselines, but disease testing probably won't be an issue since you don't have other birds.

I'm glad you decided to join in. I have to agree with Jen, if you don't have a credit card you could start putting money in a savings account solely for an avian vet.

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the avenue! Don't be surprised if you fall in love with other species after seeing pictures and reading other roadies stories ;)

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Hello; glad you made it official. Hope you soon find a nice 'teil for yourself! I think a parrotlet would also suit your needs. You'll soon find the bird of your dreams. Keep us updated :heart:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome aboard wendy

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Hi Wendy, and Welcome! So glad you decided to move in. I loved your introduction and so glad you are taking your time and saving your pennies.

Have you considered possibly taking in a bird that needs to be rehomed? Some birds that need to be rehomed come with their cage and I know there are so many birds in need of being rescued. Good luck with saving your pennies.

WendyBird

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Wendy
Thank you all for the very warm welcome, I'm glad I finally decided to register. Really I'm always seeing things that I'm dying to comment on so now I'll have the chance to do that, and get to know all you lovely peeps. ;)

Welcome. Make sure that you also consider the potential for emergencies. At least make sure you have a credit card available for emergency vet care. Keep an eye on your local craigslist for a cage. Sometimes there are really good deals if you know what you're looking for. You have to watch out for rust and check the brand to make sure it's not something that will have lead.
Good advice. Not that I'll take the part involving a credit card, I was raised to be pretty much allergic to all forms of debt, it still annoys me I had to borrow for a car even though I know that's completely normal. But yes the emergency fund is another reason I'm putting off getting a bird for now.

Have you considered possibly taking in a bird that needs to be rehomed? Some birds that need to be rehomed come with their cage and I know there are so many birds in need of being rescued. Good luck with saving your pennies.
I have considered this yes, unfortunately I am just slightly outside of the re-homing range of the only two major bird rescues in my state. I might be able to negotiate on it with the one in KC though, since I'm only about ten miles beyond their range and they're inundated with female Tiels. Poor little chickies.

Status
Not open for further replies.