• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fresh coconut

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Did you find a coconut anywhere

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oooooooo you should hit the recipes thread and drop some. I haven’t had good Indian food since I moved here :arghh: I miss living in a real city!
I don't make north or west Indian dishes really at all, so I don't have any recipes for what most of the US thinks of as "Indian" - but if you're into simple vegetarian South Indian cooking like me, here's my favorite blogger I always recommend whenever anyone asks me about idli when I bring it for lunch :)

https://www.vidhyashomecooking.com

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I don't make north or west Indian dishes really at all, so I don't have any recipes for what most of the US thinks of as "Indian" - but if you're into simple vegetarian South Indian cooking like me, here's my favorite blogger I always recommend whenever anyone asks me about idli when I bring it for lunch :)

https://www.vidhyashomecooking.com
Pfffft.

I want some of the "home cooking" recipes! Forget what the US usually thinks of - I want what you make at home for fun :roflmao:

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok! Here's what I make multiple times a week for dinner, with whatever random veggies I have lying around :)

Tiffin Sambar | Pasi Paruppu Sambar | Moong Dal Sambar

I LOVE coconut chutney

Coconut Chutney | South Indian Style White Coconut Chutney

Tomato chutney is a close second

Tomato Chutney | South Indian Tomato Chutney Without Garlic and Onion

Pongal or Upma are my go to breakfast if I'm not just eating scrambled eggs w/veggies and tomato chutney on top

Ven Pongal | Khara Pongal | Pressure Cooker Ven Pongal

Arisi Upma | Rice Upma

I started making south Indian foods after needing to cut out most onion/garlic/wheats, and totally fell in love with the style of cooking and then tempering at the end. Now that I understand what types of spices and flavors I like best, I mostly wing it. But combining some type of rice or other grain with some type of lentil or other legume, and having a soup portion, a sauce/chutney option, and a veggie (dry curry) option is my standard meal setup now, even if my flavors are more central American, Mediterranean, Asian, or straight up Midwestern comfort food!

For me the only Must Have ingredients that have to be imported to the Midwest are hing (asafetida) and fresh curry leaves. You could substitute sauteed garlic/onion for hing, but I haven't found anything that comes close to fresh curry leaves. Yum!! Everything else I could make do with regular grocery store ingredients. :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My son bought a coconut at shopping yesterday and made his own coconut milk then used our microwave pressure cooker (which is freakin awesome by the way!) to make a curry dish.
I am not usually a fan of curry as there are so many that have something in them that tastes like chemicals to me, yesterdays curry dish was absolutely yummy though.

Thanks for the recipes @Parutti I’ll send them to my curry loving son. :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I just realised I tagged you in an edit @Parutti so you won’t get that tag but you should get this one lol

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@Xoetix that why I mix it into food for the birds. Coconut water can be frozen up to 3 months and coconut shreds up in 9 months.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Ooh i'm going to have to try this! Sometimes I make coconut halves for my hermit crabs to hide in, and then I eat the meat. I'll let Spearmint try some next time.