• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

French moult

Paul b

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Paul barrett
Hi ive never posted anything so i hope this is correct!
French moult!
In my experience and in research french moult is a virus carried by all budgies and it varies slightly from flock to flock !
So when birds are put together from different sources the different strains of the virus react and french moult occurs !
This can be prevented by putting all your birds together for 4 to 6 months
(The longer the better)
This gives the flock time to build its own amunity to that paticular strain
(Dont introduce any new birds during this time) then you can commence breeding and there should be no french moult! My experience is with budgies!
All the best!paul b.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So if this is true

So when birds are put together from different sources the different strains of the virus react and french moult occurs !
How does putting them all together for 4 to 6 months prevent it? Because in theory, wouldn't putting them together make the strains react to each other?

I'm very confused.

Off to Google.

:run:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So while many budgies are asymptomatic carriers of polyomavirus, they do not all have it and you shouldn't be breeding birds that are carriers.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This can be prevented by putting all your birds together for 4 to 6 months
Very bad advice. French moult is highly contagious.
Infected birds should be kept away from healthy birds with strict quarantine procedures and handwashing .

Paul b

Real Name
Paul barrett
Yes it is but only when birds from other sources are mixed !
In my eagerness to start the hobby i bought birds from all over different colours and varieties and paired them up and had a terrible amount of french moult i was gutted my hobby seemed ruined ! I read bad advice about killing the birds n burning cages alsorts! After talking to an expert breeder he told me to put all the birds together and why!
I was very apprehensive as i was worried for the healthy birds !
So i put about 70 budgies into one big flight for 5 months fed them lots of salad n seeds you name it! Then put all the box's back up theyve been breeding now for 14 months no french moult and all healthy fantastic coloured chicks!
I might add everywhere was cleaned top to bottom aswell !
Thanks!
Paul b

Paul b

Real Name
Paul barrett
So if this is true

How does putting them all together for 4 to 6 months prevent it? Because in theory, wouldn't putting them together make the strains react to each other?

I'm very confused.

Off to Google.

:run:
I understand ! But yes studies were done in the us universities if you google french moult by bob wilson you will see!
Its naturaly carried by all budgies and isnt a problem until different birds are put together !
I have proved it to be correct with my own birds!
I wouldnt give bad advice or wish harm on any bird or anyones hobby !
The advice saved my birds!
Thanks!paul b

Paul b

Real Name
Paul barrett
Hi!
Also believe me i read all those articles on french moult everything i could find!
I almost packed in!
It was very worrying putting all my birds in together but i took a chance and it paid off!
I suggest everyone do there own research im merely hoping to help people with what i have learned myself!
Paul b

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:bash:
Very entertaining, thank you!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Technically what he said was,

"This may be why we see FM outbreaks in beginners aviaries when they buy birds from many sources to get started, and in aviaries where the breeder is a constant outcrosser.

Other “stressers” appear to also trigger the FM virus.. Poor nutrition, over crowding, over breeding, to name a few.

...Coincidence?? Not sure. But something worth considering."

The research he referenced was simply that "Research at Universities in the US has determined the FM is a type of virus." Which is true.