• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

French molt or not?

Meeting neighbors
Hello, I'm new here! Breeder sent me a photo of a budgie and said she's not happy with the flight feathers. There are only one flight feathers on both sides. Does this look like French molt? Baby is young not weaned yet. Not sure exactly how old, ready in 2 weeks is what I was told.

Attachments

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It's a very young bird, even the secondaries still have some growing. The primaties I can see are growing out just fine so I think it'll be okay.
I'd rather not suggest French moult until I've seen how this develops.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomegroup:

Meeting neighbors
It's a very young bird, even the secondaries still have some growing. The primaties I can see are growing out just fine so I think it'll be okay.
I'd rather not suggest French moult until I've seen how this develops.
Thank you for your feedback! Breeder is going to send me photos of her progress so crossing my fingers. He's a beauty.

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
What a sweet spangled bubba! I have a thang for spangles. He looks to be a good chunky chicky.... a good attribute for a spangly.
If you are wishing to breed, possible french moult is an issue.... although I agree with the others here that this bub still has some growing to do. Could be a number of reasons why the flights aren't growing in as the breeder expects... nutritional health, seasonal variation, or just the peculiarities of various bubbas.
If you don't wish to breed, possible french moult is not an issue. If Bub is not affected prior to 15d (apparently), immune system issues are unlikely. And most issues relate to breeding.
If this is to be a pet/companion rather than a breeding bird, it's not really an issue if it is FM. And it could turn out to just be slow maturation.
It is good of the breeder to at least flag the issue and give you the benefit of their experience.
If you like the bird (he's a cutie!), go for it.
You can always choose to not breed and just keep him in your flock if he turns out to have issues.
Best of luck and I hope he grows out ok!!!

Meeting neighbors
What a sweet spangled bubba! I have a thang for spangles. He looks to be a good chunky chicky.... a good attribute for a spangly.
If you are wishing to breed, possible french moult is an issue.... although I agree with the others here that this bub still has some growing to do. Could be a number of reasons why the flights aren't growing in as the breeder expects... nutritional health, seasonal variation, or just the peculiarities of various bubbas.
If you don't wish to breed, possible french moult is not an issue. If Bub is not affected prior to 15d (apparently), immune system issues are unlikely. And most issues relate to breeding.
If this is to be a pet/companion rather than a breeding bird, it's not really an issue if it is FM. And it could turn out to just be slow maturation.
It is good of the breeder to at least flag the issue and give you the benefit of their experience.
If you like the bird (he's a cutie!), go for it.
You can always choose to not breed and just keep him in your flock if he turns out to have issues.
Best of luck and I hope he grows out ok!!!
Oh my goodness, thank you so much for taking the time to respond with so much information! This definitely made me feel so much better.

There doesn't seem to be other birds with the issue and the breeder did send me photos of the baby flock kept in the same cage and they all looked good.

I won't be breeding him but still very comforting to know that FM is not an issue health wise going forward.

This boy weaned early so he is being sent to me very soon!

Planning to post photos of this beautiful boy!

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Oh my goodness, thank you so much for taking the time to respond with so much information! This definitely made me feel so much better.

There doesn't seem to be other birds with the issue and the breeder did send me photos of the baby flock kept in the same cage and they all looked good.

I won't be breeding him but still very comforting to know that FM is not an issue health wise going forward.

This boy weaned early so he is being sent to me very soon!

Planning to post photos of this beautiful boy!
Yay! That's great news. Apparently distended abdomens are a thing in FM babies, but it seems (fingers crossed) he will be fine. Good news he is eating on his own well.
I have no real FM experience, but I'm pretty good at researching stuff, so I'm glad it helped. Look forward to seeing pics. Tag me in a thread please when you introduce us to your new boi!!!

• Love
Reactions: 000

Meeting neighbors
Yay! That's great news. Apparently distended abdomens are a thing in FM babies, but it seems (fingers crossed) he will be fine. Good news he is eating on his own well.
I have no real FM experience, but I'm pretty good at researching stuff, so I'm glad it helped. Look forward to seeing pics. Tag me in a thread please when you introduce us to your new boi!!!
The distended abdomen trait is something I will remember and look out for in the future. I just got him and tagged you in my new post!

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
I think the abdominal thing is only present as babies if infected with FM. It was somewhere in one of those articles!

Oooh exciting having a new baby!