• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

freezing seeds and pellets

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
General question: I have a 4 lb bag of seeds and a 4 lb bag of pellets, way more than my two budgies will eat in one month. I've seen comments that others are freezing extras. Should I put about a month's supply in freezer bags in the freezer? I have a vacuum sealer - should I use that before freezing? When you pull a bag out, do you thaw in the bag before opening it? Thanks.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I always freeze in about 1 month portions. I only use freezer bags as I don't have a sealer, but a sealer is a good idea! I usually let it thaw out the night before I need it in the bag.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I freeze extras in ziploc bags, squeezing out as much air as possible (you can put a straw in the corner and suck the air out but be careful not to suck seeds).
I allow to fully thaw before opening :)

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Ditto when we buy in bulk I freeze the pellets in half pound batches. I have a vacuum sealer I use for this and I put the sealed bags in a plastic container with lid for a bit of extra protection.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you don't have freezer room you can it in glass jars. Put 2 layers of wax paper on top & put the lid on tight. We do up enough for 1-1.5 years at a time, which is usually 150 pounds of mixed nuts, 145 pounds of seed mix & 40 -60 pounds of pellets in glass jars. Store in a cool dark place. We went to a local Italian restaurant & asked them to save jars for us. You could also use quart size canning jars for smaller amounts.