• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Freezing fruits/vegetables/greens for later use?

Mosasaurus

Moving in
Fruits and vegetables go bad quickly and wild weeds like dandelions and chickweed are seasonal, so it would be much easier to feed frozen food instead of fresh, especially because I could collect a lot more edible flowers and plants and feed them a varied diet with my own fruits/vegetables all year long.
Are frozen food any good? As far as I know they do not contain less nutrients than the fresh varieties. Does anyone feed them on a regular basis?

(I'm sorry if there are similar threads, but I can't find any.)

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Oh yes, there is no way I could feed fresh foods everyday without freezing it. Once every 3 months or so I make a big batch of chop and freeze it in ice cube trays for easy portioning. Each bird gets one cube per day. I just thaw them overnight in the fridge.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I do the same. I make big batches of what I call Birdie Mash, which is full of chopped veggies and fruits, and freeze them in containers, so I always have some available for the fids.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I also make huge batch of chop and freeze it. some veggies you will need to blanch before you freeze them. Fruit can be frozen also. I think I know where you can find the info let me do some searching on the forum and I will get back to you.