• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Freezing birdy

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Pichu (parrotlet) always has cold feet and loves to come and warm up on me. He also loves to sip at my tea and stand over steam...
Now that Winter is on its way and I'll be at work most of the day, I'd like to provide him with a source of heat in his cage. I've looked at thermo-perches but the prices + shipment were quite steep and they were far too big. I'm considering macgyvering something from an aquarium heater, unless someone here has a better idea?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There is a thread here about heaters that are sold. Let me go see if I can find it.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Horse feathers. My tablet didn't copy the thread.

I just bumped the thread.

Avitec heat panels.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Horse feathers. My tablet didn't copy the thread.

I just bumped the thread.

Avitec heat panels.
Thanks, I saw it but those are panels, I was looking for a perch to warm his feet :). Could he stand on such a panel or does it have to hang on the side of the cage?

Last edited:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Hangs.

I'd be scared of a heated perch. Fear of them getting burned.
Don't you think they'd move away before it goes that far? The nice thing with the aquarium thing is that you can regulate the temperature from 17 to 35C. Impossible to get burned :)

Last edited:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You can use ceramic heat lamp hung outside her cage.
I thought of that but I read they dry the feathers out...? And then, it wouldn't warm his feet. The thermo-perches are so expensive, and they are hard, looks like concrete or sand perches, I don't know how a bird could sit on that for hours to keep his feet warm, and not get sore from the material :shifty:
I think I'll go for the aquarium warmer. It is much cheaper and it is already formed like a perch, should be easy to fix it and transform it into what I need.. :cool: I'll let you know when it is ready :)

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Aquarium heaters are not meant to operate outside of water. The body is often made of glass. Your bird would burn his feet, the glass might even crack. Just buy a heated perch or panel. It's not worth risking the injury, just to save a few bucks.

Amazon.com : K&H Pet Products Thermo-Perch Heated Bird PerchSmall Gray 1" x 10.5" 3.5W : Bird Perches : Pet Supplies
Amazon.com : K&H Pet Products Snuggle -Up Bird Warmer, Gray, Small/Medium : Pet Habitat Heat Mats : Pet Supplies
It is not only a few bucks... With shipment and import tax, the bird perch ends up at $82.53... Which is really a waste for a perch, warm or not. I'll have to find something else..

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
How about a hot water bottle hanging on the side of the cage or on the bottom of the cage or on a platform . He can sit on it when he wants to. Just make sure to put a towel on it.
That's a solution, it would cool down though, unless I have this aquarium heater inside of course :cool:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I believe @WallyLoopey has fleece snuggle rings. I also think they're could be disastrous results w/ the aquarium heater. The fleece snuggies are safer than snuggle huts, I believe it's because of them being cut a certain way...

Handcrafted Bird Toys Supporting Rescue by HootnHollerBirdToys

I'm not sure about a cheaper alternative for shipping but I tagged her, so hopefully she'll ne anle to assist...

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I have some fleece items but if you’re wanting something to actually produce heat, I like the ceramic heat lamp idea.
It doesn’t actually put off any light, so it won’t hurt their eyes with brightness. I would position/aim it at one corner of the cage and see if your bird chooses to sit under it.

On the fleece safety- I like mine cut thicker and chunkier versus long strands. Less change of entanglement:)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
The nice thing with the aquarium thing is that you can regulate the temperature from 17 to 35C. Impossible to get burned :)
That is what they can heat the water with. Not how warm they get. They get very very warm and will definitively burn a parrots feet.
And are often made of sensitive glass and should be placed in some kind of liquid. They are also famous for their thermostat that hung, and when it does, it is in On mode.

If you get a platform perch you can add some wheat heaters = safe. Minikudde Vetevärmare Naturell Grön, ekologisk | Happy Green
Or arrange a electrical heating pad under the platform peach.

unless I have this aquarium heater inside of course :cool:
Way to small for a heater. It will burn the plastic (= poison gas) and without water the heather can explode. (glass all over your parrot and cage, and can start a fire)
The smallest aquarium heather I have is for 25 L tank size. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Using an aquarium heater outside of water can cause the element to overheat and/or the glass to shatter. It can burn not only your bird but also cause a fire. I definitely do not recommend. Not sure how much more comfortable sitting on glass would be vs molded plastic either ;)

You don't need the heat to be ON the feet to warm the bird. I use a ceramic heat lamp for Ripley and it works very well for him on a thermostat to prevent it getting too hot. Besides, if it is directed to a perch, then the perch will warm up too and then the feet!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)