• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Freezing Beak Appetite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

identicaltriplets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patter
Is anyone freezing their large supply of uncooked Beak Appetite? I am wondering if I should freeze it so it remains fresh before cooking it. Thoughts? Thanks!

RandomWiktor

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ren
I freeze any food I don't plan on using in the next month or so, and I have some beak apetite stored in my freezer right now. Seems to freeze fine and recover fine.

RandomWiktor

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ren
It is (was, out of business now) a line of pre-mixed dehydrated cooking foods for birds. You add water, boil, and have a nice varied meal for your bird. Example of the once-was product line.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I only lament that I didn't find this stuff sooner! Does anyone else have recommendations of brands of food that were similar to beak appetite, or was theres something that was very unique to the bird world?

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
It is pretty easy to reproduce ... it was a blend of pastas, grains, dehydrated fruits, and vegetables with some added spices. You can use whole wheat pasta, cous cous, rice, wheat, buckwheat, quinoa, etc and combine it with some things like dried cranberries, some apples, peaches, mixed vegetables, lentils, etc- add some cinnamon, cayenne pepper, oregano, or other spices to jazz it up a little. The appeal of this product was that it was prepackaged & all you had to do was add water and cook, but you can very easily create your own versions.

RandomWiktor

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ren
I agree; for the price tag, its only appeal was that it was easy. You can buy any of the grains & legumes used in it bulk very cheaply at a natural foods store and it will be organic to boot. Mix in fruit/veg and some spices and you have the same thing, but fresh. In fact, if you want to make your own dry mix that you just need to boil, they sell these great dehydrated fruits and veggies called "Just [Fruit/Veg Here]" that can be used in your own dehydrated food mix. I sometimes use it in a pinch when I don't have a good enough variety of fresh fruit and veg in the house; it's nice because there's no preservatives, colorants, or added sugars as with some dried fruits.

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I only lament that I didn't find this stuff sooner! Does anyone else have recommendations of brands of food that were similar to beak appetite, or was theres something that was very unique to the bird world?
Crazy Corn. All the varieties are great!

identicaltriplets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patter
Thanks everyone! I guess off to the freezer it all goes! I bought quite a bit. My girls LOVE the stuff, and with triplets and all of my commitments, prepackaged and easy is the way for me. LOL!

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
I bought an 18month supply from the Australian distributor - it will all be going into the deep freezer to keep it fresh until use.

Hay Kay

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
yes i think you drew the right conclusion though you weren't totally answered- I would probably store it in teh freezer if you know it will be quite some time - i know that i always freeze my cooked and it freezes well - and i freeze pellets to keep them fresher so i think you are on the right track

Status
Not open for further replies.