• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Freedom our Blind African Grey

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
MANGO IS A BRAT TALK ABOT FUSSY EATER NOW IM NOT SAYING THIS IS GOOD FOR THEM BUT TRUTH IS ITS WHAT I DO MANGO LOVES SPICE CURRY BOILED RICE AND CURRY ALSO HE LOVES MASHED POTATOED SO I PUT VEGIES THROUGH THE BLENDER AND ADD TO MASHED POTATO HE LOVES CHICKEN AND PORK WILL EAT A LITTLE BEEF I FEED HIM WHAT IM HAVING HE ALSO LOVES BREAD SO I BUY MULTY GRAIN BREAD MAKE HIN WHAT I CALL A SANDWICH I SPREAD VEGIES ON IT LOL IT SOAKS IN TO THE BREAD SO HE GETS A LITTLE THAT WAY YES I KNOW ITS NOT A PERFECT DIET BUT HE ALSO GETS PELLETS AND FRUIT BUT HIS FRUIT HAS TO BE HOLE NOT CUT UP I PLACE AN APPLE OR PEAR OR PEACH ON HIS TRY PLAY STAND AND HE LOVES IT AS LOND AS ITS NOT CUT IN ANY WAY NUTS ARE GIVEN AS MANY AS HE WANTS AS LONG AS THER IN A SHELL AT SUPPER TRY GIVING HER WHAT YOUR EATING IS SHE OK TO SIT ON THE TABLE WITH YOU AND BEFOR YOU EAT TAKE FROM YOUT PLATE AND GIVE TO HER ON HER PLATE ,O, MANGO WONT EAT UN LESS ITS COMES OFF MY PLATE
IM NOT SAYING THIS IS THE GOOD DIET BUT WHEN EVERY THING FAILS TRY SOMETHING ELSE PELLETS ARE NOT A GOOD DIET ALONE SO I GET WHAT I CAN IN TO HIM AND TRUTH IS I HAVE NO CHOICE HIM CAGE FREE HELL COME AND TAKE WHAT YOUR EATING,,LOLI HAVE PICS OF HIM FLYING AWAY WITH BRED WHEN I TRYED TO MAKE ME A SANDWICH YEP IF IT GOES IN MY MOUTH HE THINKS HE SHOUD HAVE IT,,LOL
HAVE YOU TRYED POARAGE ITS GOOD FOR THEM TRY CEREALS WITH OUT SUGAR AND STUFF IN THEM PUFFED WHEAT SHREDDED WHEAT CORNFLAKES MANGO WILL EAT CORNFLAKES I PUT SHREDED WHEAT IN THE BAKE HOPE SOME THINGS I HAVE SAID HELPS BUT DONT BE AFRAID OF TRYING THINGS

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
:dancing: :highfive:
HUGE news!! Ok huge IMO!
Freedom is now interacting with me at night with her whistles! She will whistle when she hears me in the room and I will whistle back and she will mimic what I do. And I thought I would test how she responds so I did a low pitch noise and she will try and mimic the low pitch noise back to me. :heart: Makes me feel AMAZING!! To me this means she feel comfortable with me and this is her way of interacting. She may not enjoying being held but she will talk to me :hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:dance4: :dance4: :dance4: :D

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Yay. :laughing12:

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That's huge! Such exciting news!

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
That is amazing new!!
:dance5: :highfive: :dance4:

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Great progress! :laughing12:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:dancing: :highfive:
HUGE news!! Ok huge IMO!
Freedom is now interacting with me at night with her whistles! She will whistle when she hears me in the room and I will whistle back and she will mimic what I do. And I thought I would test how she responds so I did a low pitch noise and she will try and mimic the low pitch noise back to me. :heart: Makes me feel AMAZING!! To me this means she feel comfortable with me and this is her way of interacting. She may not enjoying being held but she will talk to me :hug8:

That's wonderful!!

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
:dance4: I just wanted to let everyone know I figured out how to get Freedom to eat -- I cook the food soaks at night. She is more active when I am home and I stay up pretty late (2am-ish) so she stays awake when I am active and whistles to me. So I cook her food when I get home leave it in one of her bowls and she chows down! I am going to slowly start adding different veggies and fruit. I think another key is to ensure her nut bowl is full when I offer birdy mash or she will throw a fit and toss the other food on the floor. :cautious:

shanlung

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
Keep reporting.

Quite likely my next birdie will be a blind and handicap birdie, should I ever get a birdie.

That likely will be a birdie no one else will want that I then will take as my companion.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Keep reporting.

Quite likely my next birdie will be a blind and handicap birdie, should I ever get a birdie.

That likely will be a birdie no one else will want that I then will take as my companion.
aww awesome! they need a chance at a happy ending :) Never planned on a blind bird but she is very easy to care for IMO

shanlung

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
aww awesome! they need a chance at a happy ending :) Never planned on a blind bird but she is very easy to care for IMO
I have no thoughts of deliberately looking for a blind bird.
But if one come my way, I do not think I can walk away.
It will be karma.

You ever thought of enabling her to fly as well?

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
You ever thought of enabling her to fly as well?
She is not clipped right now- I actually dont clip any of my birds but having said that I allow her to be flighted b/c she needs her wings to help her balance and get up and around on her perches. She will hang on to a perch and as exercise her muscles also which seems to make her happy :) . She had a broken wing though so I doubt she will ever be able to fly fly and I don't think I would really want her too b/c she would never know where the walls were until she hit them over and over again :banghead: If there was a way to ensure she didnt continually hit walls I would be happy to have her flying around but since she cant see the walls I think it would be too dangerous

shanlung

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
I have known an elderly lady who is wheelchair bound with a blind CAG.

I like to think birdie will be a lot more smart and clever then to fly about blindly banging into walls.
But let us take it slow and easy and be friends and companions first to build on that trust and love already developing.

Her verbal responses with you is the beginning. Later on as she get to know you as source of love and comfort and want to be with you,
get her into walking recalls. She not likely to stumble into walls walking to you. She likely to make a bee line to your voice.

Like blind people, she will have a very good mental map of the areas provided you do not shift furnitures about and move walls.

Maybe later on when she is familiar with home environment, even do a hide and seek recalls by your calling her behind corner of wall

You will be the best judge to decide on that.
I be happy to help where I can half the world away.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
thanks Shanlung I am very happy with her progress since she was never a hand tame bird she was a breeder I think she is doing amazing :) I never expected her to even want to interact with me and while she doesnt want to be touched at all she is willing to interact with whistles.
While I am not sure about the flying with her previous broken wing, her being blind and not tame-if it was something she was able to do in the future I always think birds should have the chance to fly.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I would love to see and hear more about your friends bird :) I like to see how ppl help their special needs birds. Maybe if you can take photos and make a post about their bird?