• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Freedom our Blind African Grey

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
We have named our new girl "Freedom" something we find very fitting for this girl who is finally for the first time in her life free from the hell she had called home for an unknown amount of years.

Freedom was born into the life of a breeder bird. She spent her days in a 2x2x2 metal breeder cage. Next to 90 other cages just like hers with birds with stories just as sad as hers. Though Freedom's story is especially sad as she spent her days in darkness. She is 100% blind in her Left eye and we estimate 70% blind in her Right. Sometime during her life she sustained a broken wing [she cant move it], toes and damage to her beak- no vet care was provided.
I found Freedom in a cage at Birdmart lined up with numerous other birds for sale. She was having a very hard time navigating her small cage falling about as her cage mates shoved her around. The breeder claim she was "100% healthy. She is a perfect bird; just amazing. You should see her she flys just like a normal bird all around the room. She is a red factor very expensive." It was hard not to laugh in his face... 100% healthy?? Has he even looked at her? Flying around an aviary? You have got to be kidding she can't even navigate her cage not to mention the one wing is clearly damaged. Red Factor? That's most likely caused by poor nutrition, feather plucking and hopefully not disease.
I left Birdmart without her... but 5 days later I drove to his home and picked her up. I negotiated her fee down and tonight will be her first night in a home- Safe.
In the next few weeks she will feel water on her feathers when she receives a bath for the first time in her life.
She will receive vet care for the first time and love and attention for the first time.

Freedom is Finally Home :heart: :hug8:

Last edited:

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
Ugh, that is heartbreaking. It is so unfair the life she was dealt.

I hope she improves daily health wise and in spirit.

:hug8:

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Poor baby, how can people be so cruel! Thank you for freeing her, looking forward to her progress.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a sad story and I commend you for taking in this very special lady. I hope she lives a very happy and long life with you. She is finally free of her horrid life and is now in a home where she will be loved and cared for. Wishing the best for the new addition to your family. :)

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
Sob! Very sad start. Sob! Happy new life ahead. She is beautiful. Cant wait for the updates

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Thank you for taking this poor lost soul into your home and giving her a chance at happiness and love. :hug8:

DWRVT

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
She is very lucky to have you!!
I am amazed that he thought he could convince anyone who looked at her that she was healthy?!?
Most people probably would have turned away just because of her feather plucking.
Poor girl :(

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
:hug8: You are an amazing person for giving this sweet baby a home where she will be loved and cared for properly! Thank you! :hug8:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
thank-you
please give us updates
gotta go get a tissue now

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Just breaks your heart. Do you have any idea how old she is? I hope she thrives with your TLC. Please keep us update on her progress. Thank you for giving her a chance of a good life. :hug8:

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
This should not have been the first thread I read this morning. Just glad I haven't put my make up on yet. Went from tears to a smile knowing she will be loved and get the care she needs now. Love her name. Any idea how old she is?

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thanks everyone. The guys says she is 13 years old but I can't trust his word obviously. She has no band so no way to tell from there. I was hoping with xrays and looking at her joints my avian vet may be able to estimate?
She gets around very well so far. No falling or trouble stepping on perches like when I saw her at Birdmart. I left a few finger traps on the floor and she started to destroy them last night :) All in all she is doing very well.
My family came with me to pick her up and when we were transferring her to the breeder cage to the travel cage she was clearly stressed and growling. My Aunt was petting her head and it calmed her down. So that's a good sign in my book that she didn't move to bite but calmed down with touch.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Merlin likes finger traps, too :)

Wishing you and Freedom the best :hug8:

Kaylea

Real Name
Kaylea
That just breaks my heart :(

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
:hug8: :hug8: Welcome home, Freedom.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Just noticed the crock bowls :ygg:

Hopefully she leaves the water alone. Eventually Merlin started picking it up and slowly pouring it all out. That got mommy's attention :lol: That's why her water is in the King's locking bowl.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That's heart breaking. How can people be so cruel. Thank you so much for taking this bird in and giving her a good home.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's beautiful :heart:
Freedom's past is a lot like my Lucy's, minus the blindness and add a crippled leg. Congratulations to you and her, you will adore having your special girl :hug8:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations on your new life Freedom. Thank you for giving this beautiful girl a chance for a good life.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do keep us updated with posts and photos. :)