• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Free-range rainbow chicken

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Today is the day.

After months of preparation, Taco is taking his first steps into cage-free living. He's been doing good in practice runs and proven himself trustworthy (or at least...not TOO bad :angelic:), and I've gone ham in ensuring that walls, floor, and other hard surfaces are well padded because he's a dunce.

I've already had my first check-in, and to my delight he was being a very good dinosaur; no holes in the drywall or anything! :lol:

Time will tell whether his good behaviour will carry on until I get home from work this evening, but I'm proud of him.

lillie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
lillie
make sure to update us ;)

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Taco did so good!! Not a single hole in any walls, and not an injury to be seen! :D

On the other hand, my dog busted through the puppy gate and ate a whole box of Froot Loops. So I mean, ya win some, ya lose some.
:lol:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh wow, so glad Taco did well with this. I hope it all works to plan for you so he can enjoy extra time out of cage.

I really hope you’ve double padded everything! Lol

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How neat! And what a big change from his old home. :) How cage free is he going? I'd love to see a pic of his setup!

Buzzard stays out on his playstand most of the time & even sleeps on it, but it's right in front of his cage and actually holds the door open.
20190115_075926.jpg (I don't know why things look wonky with this phone camera. I think it has something to do with the zoom? But his cage & playstand don't really lean!)

He still goes in to eat, sometimes to hangout on a perch, play with his messy toys (I hang his wooden toys and plastic chain in there for easy cleanup and to save our feet!), or climb around on top (more toys and perches). But since we've got dogs we do coax him into the cage with a nut when we have to leave the house.

Last edited:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
How neat! And what a big change from his old home. :) How cage free is he going? I'd love to see a pic of his setup!

Buzzard stays out on his playstand most of the time & even sleeps on it, but it's right in front of his cage and actually holds the door open.
View attachment 294380 (I don't know why things look wonky with this phone camera. I think it has something to do with the zoom? But his cage & playstand don't really lean!)

He still goes in to eat, sometimes to hangout on a perch, play with his messy toys (I hang his wooden toys and plastic chain in there for easy cleanup and to save our feet!), or climb around on top (more toys and perches). But since we've got dogs we do coax him into the cage with a nut when we have to leave the house.
Awww Buzz :swoon:

Mr. Tuesday has his cage door open all day, and can come and go as he pleases to enjoy the rest of the New World Bird Room. He has a new playstand I made to hang out on, and plenty to shred and dismantle to keep him occupied. He doesn't have access to the rest of the house, because Morgan has reign of the living room and Jackson is allowed everywhere, so the bird room doors are kept shut.

Bird rooms aren't always great, but having them allows Taco and Kamara to roam free every day. :xflove:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Mr. Tuesday!:loltears: Took me half a second longer than I care to admit.

I'm so happy for them, but especially him. :heart2:

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Lucy is mostly free as well. The only time she is in a cage is at night or if were not home which is rare. We maybe leave the house an hour a week. We have curtains hanging in every doorway that are "room divider" curtains. She has the living room, the kitchen, and the hall bathroom all to herself and anything I dont want her to mess with I hide or put in a drawer. We have cardboard up on the cabinet tops. She has access to use her playstand where her food is. Our ceilings are vaulted so she gets a lot of flying done and its so cool to watch her do her circles up high! We also have indoor cameras everywhere so if I am not in the room with her, I watch the cameras on my computer where I work. Shes almost always gonna be sitting on top of the refridgerator. I think this type of living for them makes them much happier!! :)

$arge

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rafael
I’ve been thinking about this same situation for my jack.....do you mind letting me have a peep of his setup?

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Taco continues to be a very good boy! Though today he somehow ended up with poop aaaaall over his beak. That takes effort. :rolleyes: Such a dweeb.

He's getting more hormonal recently, as well. Very nesty. Still not overtly aggressive toward me or Réy though, which is what really matters imo.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
He's getting more hormonal recently, as well. Very nesty.
I keep reading about all of these hormonal macs & I'm over here crossing my fingers and prying that my Buzzy boy stays his sweet self. :fingerscrossed: :angel1: I'm glad Mr Tuesday isn't acting out towards you.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
On the one hand, today Taco upended the bin of pellets all over the floor and made a huge mess.

But ooooon the other hand, he did it just now while I was sitting right next to him. So I guess that's all on me (figuratively and literally). :hilarious:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:needpics: For two reasons: I would like to see his setup and I need a Taco fix! :xflove:

Last edited:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
:needpics: For two reasons: I would like to see his setup and I need a Taco fix! :xflove:
My phone is absolutely jam-packed with pictures and videos (of my pets, of course) and for some reason this laptop won't recognise my phone as a device so I can't transfer files, and obviously I can't part with any of my 10,987,354 pictures of Panzer. :rolleyes:

I had to kidnap my sister's phone when we were hanging out today just to take a video of Réy, LOL.

But I promise to take and upload photos of the setup as soon as possible! Whenever that is! :lol: