• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Free Mobile App For Pet Bird Lovers!

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is it possible to add more conure mutations or variations like cinnamon, pinapple and and sided options?

Ok I :

• Now gimmie a free t shirt!
  • Just joking!
  • Changed my mind, I like free stuff!
  • Just joking!
  • I'm 2xl

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Would love to be alerted when it’s available for Iphones!:)

birdlover123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nick
Is it possible to add more conure mutations or variations like cinnamon, pinapple and and sided options?

Ok I :

• Now gimmie a free t shirt!
  • Just joking!
  • Changed my mind, I like free stuff!
  • Just joking!
  • I'm 2xl
Haha ok how about this. You add an avatar to your BirdBuddy profile and then add either 1 pet bird or 1 sale item or 1 wanted item to your BBSpace profile (with an image) in the app and I'll send you your t-shirt. I need as many people as possible doing this on the app. Although hopefully not all from Hawaii - the postage is gonna be nutty!

Oh and I'm not sure that mutations count as separate species so i don't know if these can be 'added' by me or the user can just add this detail in the 'notes' section of their bird profile. So gimme one good thing and one bad thing about the app and how it can be improved. Thanks for your time on this.

birdlover123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nick
Would love to be alerted when it’s available for Iphones!:)
A lot of iPhone interest. Thanks. I'll notify on this thread when it happens. I started developing on Android coz Android has about 85% of the global smartphone market. It seems that a disproportionate amount of bird lovers are iPhone users :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
A lot of iPhone interest. Thanks. I'll notify on this thread when it happens. I started developing on Android coz Android has about 85% of the global smartphone market. It seems that a disproportionate amount of bird lovers are iPhone users :)
Hehe I just inherit my dad’s phone(he gets a new one every two years) burn Maybe it is a parront thing:lol:
Thank you for making this app and all the effort!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
All my information about my birds is tracked in a pet app. Not really a great bird app but I make it work. I am on android however to make a switch, me personally I would need the app to
-track weights and give me a graph of the changes.
-track egg laying and hormone cycles
-track appointments
-medications
-and have export saving features

birdlover123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nick
All my information about my birds is tracked in a pet app. Not really a great bird app but I make it work. I am on android however to make a switch, me personally I would need the app to
-track weights and give me a graph of the changes.
-track appointments
-medications
-and have export saving features
Thanks so much for your feedback. I know I can't please all of the people all of the time but I want to get close. If I may break your points down:

-track weights and give me a graph of the changes. - I understand and can implement this in a future release

-and have export saving features - this is interesting. Do you mean you want the data made available in a particular file format, and if so which one? If you can provide what people in the industry call a 'use case' (ie what steps you'd like to go through during use), that would be great.

-track appointments
-medications

For these 3, I wonder if the existing functionality may suffice? Right now, you can create any number of 'life events' for any of your birds. e.g. [date], [event], [notes], so you could for example record the following data and have it appear in a timeline:

12/12/18, laid egg, incubating
12/14/18, visited veterinarian, clean bill of health
12/16/18, added antibiotic to diet, was eaten

If this doesn't fit your requirements could you elaborate on what would be good?

Thanks again.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks so much for your feedback. I know I can't please all of the people all of the time but I want to get close. If I may break your points down:

-track weights and give me a graph of the changes. - I understand and can implement this in a future release

-and have export saving features - this is interesting. Do you mean you want the data made available in a particular file format, and if so which one? If you can provide what people in the industry call a 'use case' (ie what steps you'd like to go through during use), that would be great.

-track appointments
-medications

For these 3, I wonder if the existing functionality may suffice? Right now, you can create any number of 'life events' for any of your birds. e.g. [date], [event], [notes], so you could for example record the following data and have it appear in a timeline:

12/12/18, laid egg, incubating
12/14/18, visited veterinarian, clean bill of health
12/16/18, added antibiotic to diet, was eaten

If this doesn't fit your requirements could you elaborate on what would be good?

Thanks again.

The downfall to some of these apps IMO is you spend your lifetime inputting your very important information only to come to the life end of your phone. If the information is not transferable ( cloud or computer saving / android to I phone compatible ) you lose everything when you upgrade your phone.

Your existing life events feature would most likely be fine for the average owner. My current app is quite detailed when it comes to appointments and medications. It adds them to my calendar and also does alerts. Of course, I have my personal parrots and I work with a large flock.... I don't just have one or two parrots that I'm trying to keep tabs on. My life with birds is a full scale operation. :laugh: My current app would be more than overboard for the average bird owner. As it's geared more towards dogs and cats it's even a bit overboard for me.

birdlover123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nick

The downfall to some of these apps IMO is you spend your lifetime inputting your very important information only to come to the life end of your phone. If the information is not transferable ( cloud or computer saving / android to I phone compatible ) you lose everything when you upgrade your phone.

Your existing life events feature would most likely be fine for the average owner. My current app is quite detailed when it comes to appointments and medications. It adds them to my calendar and also does alerts. Of course, I have my personal parrots and I work with a large flock.... I don't just have one or two parrots that I'm trying to keep tabs on. My life with birds is a full scale operation. :laugh: My current app would be more than overboard for the average bird owner. As it's geared more towards dogs and cats it's even a bit overboard for me.
Just FYI, the BirdBuddy app lets users recover their profile and bird data from my cloud server. This is because the app contains a social network component (called BBSpace) which lets users share their bird info and images with other users, so that data needs to be kept on a web server. Users can therefore retrieve all their info any time on any Android device by using their email/password. The app is still at a fairly nascent stage and the UI could definitely do with some tweaking, but I'm hoping it'll soon become a useful tool.

Last edited:

birdlover123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nick

Hi Macawnutz

Thanks for the feedback above. I have now added this functionality to the BirdBuddy app. Users can input weight readings at any time frequency and have the results displayed in a graph. This data can also be saved to the BBSpace server so that users can retrieve all their profile, bird and item data on any other Android device anytime.

The app and screenshots are available here if you have time to give it a try:

BirdBuddy - Apps on Google Play

I'm always looking to improve the functionality and usefulness of BirdBuddy, so if anyone has any other suggestions I'd be happy to read them.

Nick

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am on I phone and searched for this app but did not see it. I saw budgie buddy and a BirdieBuddies . Is that the one? On kindle yet?

Last edited:

birdlover123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nick
I am on I phone and searched for this app but did not see it. I saw budgie buddy and a BirdieBuddies . Is that the one? On kindle yet?
Thanks for your interest.

At the moment BirdBuddy is only available on Android but I'm hoping to put out an iOS version early next month. If you follow this thread, I'll let everyone know here when it happens.

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Also an iPhone user. I tried switching over to Pixel but TMobile didn’t want to play nice with it & I’m not feeling terribly motivated to switch carriers.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@birdlover123, I have managed to score my sons old samsung galaxy tablet so I am hoping to look at your app on there but as I really do not like samsung (have too much trouble using them and get cranky, lol) I still think you need to bring the app out for IPhone too!

How long do you think it will be before you are able to offer it for IPhone?

birdlover123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nick
Also an iPhone user. I tried switching over to Pixel but TMobile didn’t want to play nice with it & I’m not feeling terribly motivated to switch carriers.
@birdlover123, I have managed to score my sons old samsung galaxy tablet so I am hoping to look at your app on there but as I really do not like samsung (have too much trouble using them and get cranky, lol) I still think you need to bring the app out for IPhone too!

How long do you think it will be before you are able to offer it for IPhone?
Thanks so much for your interest and d_msparkles please don't attempt to switch carriers just for my app. I'd hate to be responsible for all that aggravation ;) . Instead, if you guys can wait a few more weeks there will be an iOS version of BirdBuddy available hopefully around the middle of January so if you continue to follow this thread, I'll let you all know here when it comes out.

birdlover123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nick
Hi All

A couple of weeks late, but finally the good folks at Apple have deemed my BirdBuddy app worthy of inclusion in the App Store.

For those of you on iPhones/iPads you can get it from the App Store here.

For those on Android you can get it from the Play Store here.

I really want to maintain and improve the app in future and absolutely depend on feedback from users so if there is anything you don't like, let me know how it could be improved. If there is functionality you feel should be added - no matter how particular it may be to your own individual needs - let me know. And if by chance you find it helpful in any way, I won't take offense at the odd encouraging remark either :)

Hopefully you will find it useful.

Cheers

Nick

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yay, going to download it now!

birdlover123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nick
Yay, going to download it now!
Go easy on me....there may be some teething issues. For example I see that on some iPads it can crash whilst swiping through other users' profiles in BBSpace.
I'll be addressing these issues in future, plus whatever other issues you might find.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Go easy on me....there may be some teething issues. For example I see that on some iPads it can crash whilst swiping through other users' profiles in BBSpace.
I'll be addressing these issues in future, plus whatever other issues you might find.

Yeah I have given up for today :( Only because it freezes on every new screen I load so then I have to shut the app down and start again. I can’t switch my phone off till later tonight so I will try to give it another go tomorrow after I have tried restarting my phone.
I have had a bit of a look around and added a few things to my profile thing and information on Burt’s diet section.
I will totally admit that I felt a bit lost at the start.....I do best with demo, explanation or instruction. I nearly had a fit at the information I didn’t know would be shared publicly, all good and happy once I found out where to change the information setting.
Looking forward to checking it out tomorrow, hopefully shutting my phone down will clear the freezing glitch.

birdlover123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nick
Yeah I have given up for today :( Only because it freezes on every new screen I load so then I have to shut the app down and start again. I can’t switch my phone off till later tonight so I will try to give it another go tomorrow after I have tried restarting my phone.
I have had a bit of a look around and added a few things to my profile thing and information on Burt’s diet section.
I will totally admit that I felt a bit lost at the start.....I do best with demo, explanation or instruction. I nearly had a fit at the information I didn’t know would be shared publicly, all good and happy once I found out where to change the information setting.
Looking forward to checking it out tomorrow, hopefully shutting my phone down will clear the freezing glitch.
Thanks for that. There's a 'User Manual' section in the Knowledge Base. Maybe I should make that clearer on the home page but its a fine balance between keeping things clean looking and providing enough info. The key is for it to be intuitive but everyone's intuition can vary of course. If you've got any suggestions in this regard, they'd be most welcome.

As for the freezing on every new screen you load, I can't say I've ever come across that. Only in the BBSpace page sometimes in iOS. I'll need to somehow try to recreate the problem here to fix it.

Thanks again and I hope you get more joy out of it tomorrow.