• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Free Flying an Eclectus?

Christy Cat

Meeting neighbors
That seems quite contradictory! If you think they should be able to fly like they would in the wild them why did they get a pet bird!?
Not trying to start an argument, I know it's a controversial subject. I just relaying the reasoning behind it, people can certainly agree or disagree.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I really like this article by "for the Birds". By Dr. Fern Van Sant (I believe).

The most important benefit from a bird being allowed to fly is their long term health. No doubt about that and it has been studied and proven time after time.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Ignore my pervious post I finally found the full article of "Move It".

Why We Must Move It!
Evidence that our companion parrots are suffering from degenerative conditions due primarily to high fat diets and lack of exercise has been presented at nearly every AAV conference with supporting evidence in clinical veterinary journals and texts.1–8 Even if we were to narrow the discussion to degenerative conditions of the heart and great vessels, focusing on the incidence of arteriosclerosis or atherosclerosis, the evidence for an alarming situation is overwhelming. Generally a necropsy finding and often an incidental one, avian veterinary pathologists have reported in numerous retrospective studies a significant incidence of advanced disease of the heart and great vessels.1,2–4, 5,7 A recent retrospective report described atherosclerosis as the most frequently described pathologic change of vessels in psittacine birds in captivity.1 Most attempts to assign statistical incidence to presenting signs, age, gender, or diet have failed because of lack of clinical history and an unknown correlation between numbers of birds kept as caged pets and numbers presented for necropsy.1,3–5,7