• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Free flight?

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
Hi there!

I had a quick question: Can lovebirds, budgies, cockatiels, or parrotlets be free-flight trained?

Thank you, Adriana R. :)

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Yeah, if you want a bird that you can free fly probably get a bigger one, and even then the bird has to be extremely well trained, especially with recall.

Aves

Yeah big birds are the only ones for free flight, and even so it is taking a huge risk. It safer to have a free flight group with big birds and a professional trainer. ( Birdtricks and other commercial bird trainers are a no-no)

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
It's good for a bird to be able to fly but it is hard to train them to fly outside like free flight birds. But you should never clip their wings

Seulregi

Meeting neighbors
Yeah big birds are the only ones for free flight, and even so it is taking a huge risk. It safer to have a free flight group with big birds and a professional trainer. ( Birdtricks and other commercial bird trainers are a no-no)
Curious about what’s wrong with birdtricks?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
There are plenty of threads on here about them and why lots of people prefer not to use or support them. Have a quick search and I am sure you will have plenty of interesting reading ;)

Aves

Like others have stated, Birdtricks take other content/supplies/food and market it as their own. They also aren't experts they are only good at entertaining. They also are very dishonest as the husband is proud of smuggling birds on planes so he doesn't have to pay the tickets.

Seulregi

Meeting neighbors
Like others have stated, Birdtricks take other content/supplies/food and market it as their own. They also aren't experts they are only good at entertaining. They also are very dishonest as the husband is proud of smuggling birds on planes so he doesn't have to pay the tickets.
oh I see! This is disappointing to hear, I’ve also read too that parrot wizard is not so great. Thanks for informing me! I won’t watch their videos anymore :)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
oh I see! This is disappointing to hear, I’ve also read too that parrot wizard is not so great. Thanks for informing me! I won’t watch their videos anymore :)
If you enjoy their content then watch them, just be aware that there are other sources of information out there from real professionals with qualifications.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Hi there!

I had a quick question: Can lovebirds, budgies, cockatiels, or parrotlets be free-flight trained?

As previously mentioned they shouldn’t but they can fly in house if you’d like.
Curious why you would like them to be free flighted.
Do note the difference between flighted and free flighted
Free flighted- Able to fly long distances outside at a clear place or grassland of that sort with no obstacles/distractions and predators too (can’t be sure that there are completely none in the area but at least be sure none were sighted before)
Flighted- Simply put able to fly. If able to fly back on cue I think it’s called recall and you might actually be wanting a recall train instead.
Free flying is much more dangerous than being flighted and if weather changes/anything happens it will impact you more than having your birds being flighted at home. You’ll need an actual experienced mentor as well and as mentioned free flying does good in groups.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
As Shezbug said, none are good candidates for free flight. But Lovebirds and Cockatiels can be harness trained and taken outdoors. It may take time working with them and the harness but if you can do it then they can go out with you (just remember to be aware of predators).

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hi there!

Cockatiels and budgies are free flown, but only in larger flocks. There are only two trainers in the world that I know of who will even attempt to train small birds. Almost all professional trainers are strongly against free flying these little birds due to attrition rate from lost birds and predators. Parrotlets and lovebirds are not free flown by any professionals.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So I just read the article you linked to. Starving anything, regardless of motive, is beyond wrong; it's immoral. I hope people stop falling for their marketing.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I don’t suggest free flight, unless you are a professional with much experience and only with bigger, VERY well trained birds. It’s just too dangerous. You can do recall inside with those birds species inside though if you are looking for training ideas.

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
So I just read the article you linked to. Starving anything, regardless of motive, is beyond wrong; it's immoral. I hope people stop falling for their marketing.
Yes, I completely agree. But why are you writing this on a page about freeflight?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Yes, I completely agree. But why are you writing this on a page about freeflight?
Because in the link HankMacaw gave in post#14, Chris Biro says:
"But after listening to their birds begging for food due to their hunger level we chose not to fly with them the next day when we encountered them again. Though we instead selected a spot to fly several hundred yards away from them, we could still hear their birds crying for food. It was painful to hear "
(Apparently their method wants their birds to be very hungry so they will not fly off but return for food.)

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
Because in the link HankMacaw gave in post#14, Chris Biro says:
"But after listening to their birds begging for food due to their hunger level we chose not to fly with them the next day when we encountered them again. Though we instead selected a spot to fly several hundred yards away from them, we could still hear their birds crying for food. It was painful to hear "
(Apparently their method wants their birds to be very hungry so they will not fly off but return for food.)
Oh, ok.

I highly doubt BirdTricks did this, but then again, there is no way for me to know.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh, ok.

I highly doubt BirdTricks did this, but then again, there is no way for me to know.
They actually spoke to me in my consult about withholding food from Burt to get him to do what I want so I have no doubt in my mind they did it! They also post videos showing it but it is put across as a good way to hand tame birds who do not want to be tamed fast.... Only offer them food from your hand so they are so hungry they will go against instinct and eat from your hand even thought they do not trust you- they put it across like it is a great training technique :(