• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Free Flight and homing untamed Budgie

Bourke313

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone,

My American budgie named Mint has been enjoying free flights for the third consecutive day :) . The first day, he was out for a whole 24 hours. He spent the night out somewhere. The next morning he came back.

Now, every morning and after he has his breakfast, I let him out. He spends the whole day flying around the neighborhood. Before sunset, he makes it back to his cage joining my English Budgies. I don’t even know how he gets back in there when the cage is securely locked. I Am not worried about him because he proved he can survive and always make it back.
What do you think?

Attachments

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
If a budgie can get in or out of the cage with out you opening the door I think you need a new cage.

There are sooo many ridiculous things that could happen to a bird flying without supervision, someone could think he’s lost and capture him, he could get killed by hawks,eagles,dogs,cats and reptiles he could get lost, he could get caught in fruit tree netting. There’s endless possibilities.

Bourke313

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the advices guys. Very much appreciated.
The cage is secured now and I will not let him out again. It just wasn’t expected that a budgie that keeps flying freely then coming back home before nightfall.

Thanks again.

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
Thanks for the advices guys. Very much appreciated.
The cage is secured now and I will not let him out again. It just wasn’t expected that a budgie that keeps flying freely then coming back home before nightfall.

Thanks again.
That’s good :D

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What do you think?
Dangerous.
And,

I think you need a new cage.

I´m glad you won´t be letting him out like that again. It´s just not safe for a pet budgie to be out like that.
Your bird can still enjoy the outdoors and sunshine. You can push their cage outside or build a large aviary if you have the space.

Bourke313

Meeting neighbors
I´m glad you won´t be letting him out like that again. It´s just not safe for a pet budgie to be out like that.
Your bird can still enjoy the outdoors and sunshine. You can push their cage outside or build a large aviary if you have the space.
They are outside all summer long. I am building an aviary right now and it’s huge.

Bourke313

Meeting neighbors
Do Parakeets have a homing instinct like pigeons? Mint doesn’t have a mate so why he keeps coming back??

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Do Parakeets have a homing instinct like pigeons? Mint doesn’t have a mate so why he keeps coming back??
Actually I was surprised to read that your budgie came back, because no, budgies aren't territorial and they are not supposed to have the ability to find back home. You've been very lucky he managed that!!

Serin

Sprinting down the street
He stays around because you have other budgies.
When i housed budgies outdoors, i had several strays come around and stay in the garden because it is in their instinct to stay around other budgies for safety.
The problem is that they don't have homing instinct and so if they stray too far they easily get lost and then their instinct is simply to keep flying.
I've seen escaped parakeets cover over a mile in a few minutes.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This budgie was not trained for free flight by you or his parents. A Hawk or other predator like a cat would love to have him. A very bad idea to let a small bird fly outdoors like that. Keep him safe by all means.

Size does matter when choosing a free flight candidate. Generally, the larger species, such as large macaws and cockatoos will attract less attention from a Cooper’s hawk. A Cooper’s hawk is a smaller-sized raptor, very common in the United States, who makes his living hunting smaller-sized birds. Typically, a Cooper’s wouldn’t try to tackle a large macaw or cockatoo, yet wouldn’t think twice about taking down a conure or Senegal. (Please note, any parrot, no matter the size, represents a meal to any hungry bird of prey.)

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Not to mention... this budgie can pick up parasites from wild birds and or diseases and infect your entire flock. Just a bad idea all around.