• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Free Flight and homing untamed Budgie

Bourke313

Meeting neighbors

Attachments

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Looks very nice! Will it stand on the ground like that? I'm sure your birds would enjoy strolling in the grass but you might want to protect the wood so it won't rot so fast. Maybe if you add a row of bricks the wood could rest on?
BTW if this is wood parts from a bunk bed, the wood is not prepared to stand outside. Is this the infamous IKEA bunk bed that can be use upside down? it has a layer of lack that will peel off very fast, and your birds might start nibble at it..

Last edited:

Bourke313

Meeting neighbors
I really looking forward to see when it's done. :)
Me too!!! :)
Almost done. In a few minutes, I am going out there to put the chicken wire on.

Looks very nice! Will it stand on the ground like that? I'm sure your birds would enjoy strolling in the grass but you might want to protect the wood so it won't rot so fast. Maybe if you add a row of bricks the wood could rest on?
BTW if this is wood parts from a bunk bed, the wood is not prepared to stand outside. Is this the infamous IKEA bunk bed that can be use upside down? it has a layer of lack that will peel off very fast, and your birds might start nibble at it..
It’s going straight on the ground. We have very humid weather here all year long. It’s either rain or snow.

I had the weather elements in mind when started this project :).

I will use a varnish to treat the wood then apply few coats of apoxy(if this is how it’s spelled). It will last longer plus I did it in a way that’s easy to replace any piece if I need to.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I will use a varnish to treat the wood then apply few coats of apoxy(if this is how it’s spelled). It will last longer plus I did it in a way that’s easy to replace any piece if I need to.
Will this be safe if the birds chew at it?

Bourke313

Meeting neighbors
Will this be safe if the birds chew at it?
The apoxy is going to turn solid like glass and very hard for a bird to chew on. I will also put a big branch that will spread nicely in the cage with lots of toys plus the grass on the ground. They’ll be very busy with all that stuff.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I am so impressed with this aviary! I'm also so glad you decided not to let the budgie free flight outside any longer for all the reasons mentioned here. I can't wait to see the finished photos of this enclosure. Hoping the epoxy will be safe to use. I found this, but it's talking about epoxy glue, so maybe not the same thing as the coating you will be using.
Parrot Safety: 10 Household Dangers That Kill Parrots | BirdSupplies.com

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
one of mine are free flighted but with supervision but hes separated from the rest incase he did pick up some disease im not worries about mites those are treatable and im not worried about hawks as they are fast flyers unless sick but wouldn't advise everyone to freeflight esp if you don't know what your getting into

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How do you keep predator animals from digging inside!

Bourke313

Meeting neighbors
I am so impressed with this aviary! I'm also so glad you decided not to let the budgie free flight outside any longer for all the reasons mentioned here. I can't wait to see the finished photos of this enclosure. Hoping the epoxy will be safe to use. I found this, but it's talking about epoxy glue, so maybe not the same thing as the coating you will be using.
Parrot Safety: 10 Household Dangers That Kill Parrots | BirdSupplies.com
Thank you for posting that link.
This is the third aviary I’ve built with the same method. I am confident that it’s safe and I can always take extra measures in covering epoxy surfaces with wood trim that we usually see around doors and windows.
I was so exhausted today and couldn’t finish it. I hope nothing comes up this week.

Bourke313

Meeting neighbors
How do you keep predator animals from digging inside!
I use what another type of netting. On Hardware stores’ websites, it’s usually listed under poultry netting. I use it at the bottom of the cage. I can also use chicken wire. I am using the .5” inch gauge. It’s very strong and doesn’t rust. I use the coated type for extra protection. After sometime, it will be covered by plants and grass growth so it won’t even be visible.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Very helpful site! :) Except for the nr 8 saying to keep your bird's wings clipped of course.. :bored:

Oh my gosh, I didn't even read that part... I must be picking and choosing without even knowing it by 'selective viewing'!
Thanks for pointing that out!