• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Free catalogs or magazines made of non-shiny paper?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I get a scholastic book catalog that is made up of just paper - I gave one to Ripley to save his cage papers, and it worked very well!

Now I am trying to think if there are other cheap catalogs I could request that aren't magazine/shiny paper?

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
We don't use our phone books any more, but they still show up a couple times a year. Ever the prepper, I was storing them in a crate for future TP, but I've also found the ratties like to shread them.
....Probably good for shredding birds too.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I get a once weekly newspaper but I already give most of those to the rats to play with. I'll have to see what options I have locally to get more. I haven't seen a phone book in a couple years! But maybe because I don't have a landline?

Distaff

Real Name
Mary
We do have a land line, but I think every house/mailbox in the area gets them around here. They even litter the place - I'll pick the occasional one up off the street if it is still in it's protective plastic baggie. Odd...basically, no one wants this stuff, but money still goes into the production and distribution of it. I'm guessing we've only got a couple of years at most for free pet paper. Our local library has a stand with free papers. Honestly, they just collect ever deeper. I have no moral issues to taking several at a time.

The ratties and birds are well informed on the local news (and phone numbers), but I don't think anyone else gives a hoot!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:laugh: that looks like Rocky's cage! I get newspapers from a neighbor for her to shred thank goodness. I also grab stacks of free local newspapers out of those metal newspaper box thingies lol on streets.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I love how busy Ripley is! Awesome lil man!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Try the newsstands were free booklets and free papers are, like grocery stores.

redindiaink

Avenue Veteran
For awhile I was using parts catalogues, but Rosie poops on them so now I just fold several layers of newspapers (we've enlisted friends and neighbours into helping the cause) into a booklet for her.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Do you know anyone that reads paperback books that can give them to you when finished?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you know anyone that reads paperback books that can give them to you when finished?

Oh I might! I will ask around :) Thank you for the idea! I am trying to keep up with him but he goes through toys faster than i can string them up so books/papers are saving me a lot of time and money lol

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Oh I might! I will ask around :) Thank you for the idea! I am trying to keep up with him but he goes through toys faster than i can string them up so books/papers are saving me a lot of time and money lol

Rocky loves paperback books so I was thinking of what she likes and is "free" if possible :laugh: and she prefers paper over wood lol.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Rocky loves paperback books so I was thinking of what she likes and is "free" if possible :laugh: and she prefers paper over wood lol.

Yes Ripley too! He might barely prefer balsa but paper beats pine any day!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I've got another Rocky favorite...family size and Giant size empty cereal boxes :laugh:

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
I don't know for sure if this is an option for everyone, but two of the hotels I've worked at in the past have gotten newspapers daily, which they throw away every night if there are any left. When I worked there I would take them home for cage papers instead of tossing them :) Obviously they might say no, but it never hurts to ask if you're in need!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Not sure if it is the same over there but here the newsagents throw out any papers they did not sell the day before. They rip the heading off the first page to get their money back from the newspaper printers but toss the whole paper out. Maybe you could call the local newsagent and see if they do the same thing there.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Harbor Freight mailer came in... Cover is shiny but the rest is paper! :)

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Some ladies where I go to church give free papers for either shredding or lining cages! The birds get free toys and clean cage trays thanks to them.