• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fred's Developed a Fear...

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Of Joe, whom he loves! Several weeks ago Joe stopped going to hair club for men, so now he's partially bald. Fred just over the last couple weeks has developed a fear of him that seems to be getting worse! So tonight Joe is upstairs since Fred is out of his cage and freaks out flying all over the place when Joe is in the room. He's actually running from Joe. I suggested to Joe when I am not around to leave Fred in his cage and sit outside his cage and maybe try to feed him treats etc. My suggestion is to start over as if Fred doesn't know him. Would this be the correct thing to do? Other than his hairstyle we can't figure out what happened :shy::arghh:!!!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I don't really have any advice but hopefully someone else can help. I'm just so surprised to hear hair club for men worked while Joe went. May I ask...what do they do there? Rogaine?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'd say that's close! Very good idea Nancy! That said, I might suggest going a step further back! :)

Set up a treat cup (preferably metal) at the front of Feddy's cage. Set up treat stations 5+ feet away on either side of the cage full of Freddy's favorite treats. Any time Joe walks by (whether you are home or not), have Joe drop a treat into Freddy's treat cup. Just drop and go. If Freddy freaks out when Joe approaches, try having Joe walk slower, announcing his presence to Freddy, try avoiding eye contact, just overall trying to be as non-threatening as possible!

From there, he could try some training through the cage bars to get Freddy more used to him again before attempting out of the cage.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Same thing happened with Buzzard the first time hubby got a haircut. :( It lasted several months, through 2 more growing out & cutting cycles. Hubby started over like you said. First, he'd let Buzz see him drop nuts in his bowl, then he held the nuts over the bowl until Buzz moved closer and eventually took them from his fingers. Buzz would still hiss and mantle, but they made slow progress. Finally, he'd line different nuts up on the countertop where Buzz could see & Buzz would step up, get carried over to select a nut, then back to his cage to eat his reward.

Now even though Buzzy is beaky and cuddly only with me, he steps up better for hubby. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve had the best luck with phobic type fear by backing off completely and having the bird come to me. My sulfur was so bad for several years that I’d leave a pile of seed treats on the floor between my chair and her cage so she would have to move in my direction in order to get treats. Meanwhile, I pretended to ignore that she had moved closer to me. For a long time, if I acknowledged her existence, she would run away. It was a several years long process to get her back to a normal happy cockatoo.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Y
I’ve had the best luck with phobic type fear by backing off completely and having the bird come to me. My sulfur was so bad for several years that I’d leave a pile of seed treats on the floor between my chair and her cage so she would have to move in my direction in order to get treats. Meanwhile, I pretended to ignore that she had moved closer to me. For a long time, if I acknowledged her existence, she would run away. It was a several years long process to get her back to a normal happy cockatoo.
That's the first thing we tried, just back off and let Fred approach Joe. But it didn't happen. Instead he's getting worse. Joe stopped going to hair club over a month ago and this has just started, I have a video of Fred interacting with me and Joe 10 days ago bobbing his head and happy to be with us. This is how I know its very recent. Wierd. You just never know what triggers these things. But yet my son, who Fred hardly sees, can pet him and kiss him with no problem at all!o_O:banghead:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Same thing happened with Buzzard the first time hubby got a haircut. :( It lasted several months, through 2 more growing out & cutting cycles. Hubby started over like you said. First, he'd let Buzz see him drop nuts in his bowl, then he held the nuts over the bowl until Buzz moved closer and eventually took them from his fingers. Buzz would still hiss and mantle, but they made slow progress. Finally, he'd line different nuts up on the countertop where Buzz could see & Buzz would step up, get carried over to select a nut, then back to his cage to eat his reward.

Now even though Buzzy is beaky and cuddly only with me, he steps up better for hubby. :rolleyes:
Thanks so much for this! Now I know we're not crazy! Ugh! Last night when Joe showed up Fred took off flying to find me and landed on my head in an attempt to hide behind my head! I know to Fred I am viewed as mom, I am the one he runs to when he's scared, and it usually involves me picking him up, cuddling him and telling him he's ok. My baby :xflove:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I don't really have any advice but hopefully someone else can help. I'm just so surprised to hear hair club for men worked while Joe went. May I ask...what do they do there? Rogaine?
They can do hair implants or transplants (which are not guaranteed) or a hairpiece, depending on your needs. Its professionally matched to your hair so it definitely looks real, and if your hair grows out graying they can gradually change the hairpiece to match. They do a great job but the least expensive program starts at $300 per month. Joe wanted to save money for retirement and couldn't see continuing with it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's just gonna take time until he gets used to Joe again. It must be a pretty dramatic change in appearance. This is very common. Just like painted finger nails, wearing a hat, something big that's the wrong color or texture. That's all it takes.

Part of what's happening is that Fred loves Joe. The old Joe. This new Joe is different. Maybe not even the same Joe (right now). This guy looks just like Joe but different? "WHAT DID YOU DO TO/WITH MY JOE.

Did you read Pamela Clarks article?
Neophobic behaviour

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Our birds sometimes give me looks when I get my hair cut...I can see a certain questioning in their eyes when I have it cut.

That doesn't happen much anymore, though, as I really don't have much hair to cut now...

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Hmmm. I've walked in the room where my amazons are with and without a towel wrapped around my head, no problems.

With and without glasses, no problems.

I guess amazons aren't as picky about their humans?

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
It's just gonna take time until he gets used to Joe again. It must be a pretty dramatic change in appearance. This is very common. Just like painted finger nails, wearing a hat, something big that's the wrong color or texture. That's all it takes.

Part of what's happening is that Fred loves Joe. The old Joe. This new Joe is different. Maybe not even the same Joe (right now). This guy looks just like Joe but different? "WHAT DID YOU DO TO/WITH MY JOE.

Did you read Pamela Clarks article?
Neophobic behaviour
I keep telling Joe this is what it is, he doesn't think so because his appearance changed several weeks ago, but this behavior just recently started. But they can react any time with things. I told Joe to wear a baseball cap (Fred's familiar with that), but unfortunately it didn't help. Joe wore a baseball cap right after he changed his appearance for a little bit and then since taking it off Fred's still acting the same. I know Fred will get used to it, poor Joe at the moment is heart broken. Things like this used to bother me too, but I have come to realize they are ingrained to be afraid or skittish of change in their environment. In the wild this fear keeps them alive. It's just Fred.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
"Who is this sick bird (Joe) that's lost all its head feathers. Eeeeek!! I'm gonna die!!!" :lol:

Try wearing a soft coloured hat. Seriously.
It is a dramatic change, John. He went from how he looks in the avatar, to how your hairstyle is! Fred could also be mad that he wouldn't be able to sit on Joe's head anymore, which is something he always did, come to think of it!! Oh geez, there may be more to this than we think!:scared5: