• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Freddy's new behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I've never seen this before.. in any of my Cockatiels.

Okay, my Cockatiels have a toy in their cage and it has a bell on the bottom and Freddy's taken a liking to the bell I think - he grabs the top of the bell part (where it attaches to the toy) and he swings it around back and forth really fast and then he regurgitates his seed and swallows it again. This is the first time I've seen him do this, never before/since I got him has he done this. The toy with the bell has been in their cage for a long time, so it's not a new toy.

I was trying to eat my dinner and the cage was right next to me and I was grossed out enough that I couldn't eat the rest of my dinner, lol.

It is normal though, right? I assume he's showing "affection" to the bell?

ETA: he keeps doing it. I don't want him to make himself sick.. I don't want to take the toy out either.

Last edited:

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
I've only seen my lovie do the regurgitating thing. I'm sure all birds do it, though. :)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Continuously?

He done it right up until I put them to bed. (which was 40 mins ago) I even moved all their toys around but every-time I moved the toy he regurgitated to, he followed it and kept doing it. I'd hate if he got sick.. and I think the seeds weren't even fully digested, couldn't really tell.. but he was regurgitating only a bit of seed, it wasn't like a whole mouth full.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
It happens. You can take the toy out or ignore the behavior. Your choice. :)

Ashley

Real Name
Ashley
I would leave the toy in if it was me but just keep an eye on him ....

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Continuously?

He done it right up until I put them to bed. (which was 40 mins ago) I even moved all their toys around but every-time I moved the toy he regurgitated to, he followed it and kept doing it. I'd hate if he got sick.. and I think the seeds weren't even fully digested, couldn't really tell.. but he was regurgitating only a bit of seed, it wasn't like a whole mouth full.

Personally, I would remove the toy if it starts to seem like he can't stop doing it. If he does it and then does other things it might be ok..

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
If he regurgitates on it that means he REALLY loved it. Personally I would keep it in. Eventually he will stop. Chiquita used to do this with one of her toys for a while but she stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.