• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Freaking out

Pattyd88

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Patty
My mustache Kiwi is 5 years old . He has been home with us for about a month now .He was caged for what must’ve been a long time . The pet store cut his wings wayyyy too short . He is very scared of fingers . I pick him up with a stick and he jumps right on me and cuddles . He likes being on me . If he sees a finger close to him or hears a noise he doesn’t like he tries to fly away . Because his wings are clipped so short he can’t land on his feet . He has hit his chest numerous times and bled . I was able to stop the bleeding with cornstarch but it’s very hard to get him to let me touch him because of “fingers” . Today I gave him and my Sun conure baths . When he was wet I was able to see his chest and I am so scared right now and I don’t get paid until Friday to get him to a vet . Please help !!! What can I do ???

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Is it bruised or is he bleeding?

I suggest at this stage you keep him warm, calm and quiet and safely locked up till you have the vet look at him- unless you have a small room you can totally pad up with blankets and other soft stuff to stop him killing himself in a fall I’d honestly not be letting him out of the cage.
These sort of accidents kill many clipped birds- clipped birds are never ever safer than flighted birds.

Edit to add:- can you borrow money from friends or family? I’m concerned about injuries you can’t see- not just what you can see.
Best to make a vet appointment now for as soon as possible and ask them if you can pay it off given it’s an emergency- many vets where I live will not allow credit for routine services but will consider it in the cases of emergencies.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can you look into Credit Care? It's a credit card that lets you pay vet bills and they don't charge interest if you pay it back within a certain time.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
How is your bird doing today?