• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Fractured Spine

Rain

Strolling the yard
Apologies for jumping in, as a newbie with a post for help. Also, I belong to a couple of other parrot forums and hope it's ok to copy and paste some of what I've written there (have MS and my hands are not great at the moment, to write it all out again). I'm just looking for someone on the internet who has had a similar experience, as I'm going out of my mind with worry. The people on my other forums are great with advice but I guess I'm just trying to get as much information as possible. Hope that's not against forum etiquette.

I have an 11 year old male Senegal, who I have had since he was a baby. We haven't been apart in all that time (except if I need to go to a medical appointment for an hour or so). He has always been the loudest, bossiest, naughtiest character. He torments me and is a clown. He has the hugest personality and he's the reason I carry on getting up in the morning.

Last Thursday night he had a fright from the new neighbours making a loud bang next door. He flew into the mirror and then backwards onto a clock. He was very subdued and quiet but I checked him and he seemed ok. Anyway - next day he was still the same. To cut a long story short - my avian vet gave him Metacam for pain relief because he thought he had bruised himself. He said to give it a few days.

Today I took him back, as he was still no better in himself. He's eating well but very unbalanced and moving very slowly. He has no voice any more and I was worried there was something going on internally so I asked for an x ray.

They were only able to do one x ray because his breathing was bad under anesthetic and he started to bring up clear fluid. His breathing is still not great, and he seems to be throwing up a little. I'm watching him closely. The vet said he didn't want to keep him in, as he's so bonded with me and it will stress him more.

The vet said that he's never seen a bird with this kind of fracture on its spine that wasn't dead from it immediately, or died soon after, paralysed - so the fact Ri has gone 5 days with it and is moving around, is a testament to what a fighter he is. He said he must be in incredible pain.

He said he could refer me to someone who could operate but he doesn't think he's make it through the anesthetic. Basically it's just watch and wait. He says he doesn't know if he will make it or not. He said, even if the fracture mends, there could be all sorts of complications - neurological damage, infection etc. Or he could just give up, because of the stress of being in so much pain.

He's given me more pain relief and also some antibiotics and anti fungal medicine - 0.02 Metacam once daily, 0.06 Baytril twice daily and 0.15 Itrafungol once daily. I asked if they could overload his system, taking all those at once and he said it was a chance I should take.

All I can do is keep him as still as possible, and as comfortable as possible. He said the next few weeks will show if he's going to make it or not. I have to go back next week.

To say I'm devastated, is an understatement. If he had damage and couldn't move, then I would adapt everything and still make his life happy - but I'm so scared he will get internal damage, or infection from this, as it fuses together (if it does). What has broken my heart more is the fact that he must be in agony but is trying to lean across to catch my tears and is making soft cooing noises at me, as if to reassure me. My brave boy.

Has anyone had a bird with a fractured spine, who is still ok and made it? I'm not finding much online - just about birds who died instantly.

I'll fight for him as much as I can because he's shown what a fighter he is.

Thank you for any advice or experience.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
A woman who used to post here had a spinal injury with one of her eclectus, he was a baby and he fell. Last I heard he still did not have the use of his legs, but with a lot of extra care he is able to get around and is otherwise happy. It sounds like your little one's injuries are more severe though. Spinal injuries are very tricky in terms of treatment, usually when they first happen there is a lot of inflammation which can cause the symptoms to seem more severe. It really sounds like time is what he needs to see if he will get through this. Sometimes after a long time if there is paralysis they are able to regain motor as the nerves heal, other times they are paralyzed for life. Unfortunately there aren't many good ways to tell. If you have the resources, an MRI or CT scan would be the best options to assess the damage, the CT may be the better option as it does not take long to perform and if he is still for the procedure he wouldn't need anesthetic or sedation.

It really sounds like you are doing all that you can do. If you can set him up so that he doesn't have to move around and you are able to keep him clean (the biggest challenge I've found with birds that can't get around) and he is eating and drinking and his quality of life seems good, then see what happens. I'm so sorry that you are going through this, I am hoping that he pulls through :hug8:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sending thoughts & prayers for your boy.

:hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
By Rain - "He's given me more pain relief and also some antibiotics and anti fungal medicine - 0.02 Metacam once daily, 0.06 Baytril twice daily and 0.15 Itrafungol once daily. I asked if they could overload his system, taking all those at once and he said it was a chance I should take."

I think you have understated the amounts of those medications. I'm assuming that you are stating them in mg, please check the bottles that you received the medications in.

@Milo - would you please check those dosages for a Senegal that weighs between 150-170gm.

I'm really hoping that your bird recovers.

Rain

Strolling the yard
Thanks everyone. The vet did say about a CT scan but that he'd have to have an anesthetic for it and he wasn't up to it right now.

Those amounts are what are on the bottles (have been giving 0.01mg Metacam but upped it yesterday to 0.02). He weighed 150g a few days ago and 148g today. Thank you for double checking for me.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so sorry this happened to your dear friend. One thing I will ask is do you have him in a hospital cage? A tank with soft bedding? No climbing should be allowed. I sure hope his pain is managed and he recovers. :hug8:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
By Rain - "He's given me more pain relief and also some antibiotics and anti fungal medicine - 0.02 Metacam once daily, 0.06 Baytril twice daily and 0.15 Itrafungol once daily. I asked if they could overload his system, taking all those at once and he said it was a chance I should take."

I think you have understated the amounts of those medications. I'm assuming that you are stating them in mg, please check the bottles that you received the medications in.

@Milo - would you please check those dosages for a Senegal that weighs between 150-170gm.

I'm really hoping that your bird recovers.
that seems about right to me based on what my meyer's gets. she gets .05 and is around 140 grams. large for a meyers, but in senegal range

edit this - i meant .05 of metacam. may be a low dose for that

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I think the dosages look okay as well. Of course it depends on the concentration, I know baytril can be made up in a few different ways. My clinic usually does 50mg/mL or 20mg/mL and the meloxicam is usually diluted out to 50mg/mL but that's usually so we can get a good dose for the little guys.

Rain

Strolling the yard
I am so sorry this happened to your dear friend. One thing I will ask is do you have him in a hospital cage? A tank with soft bedding? No climbing should be allowed. I sure hope his pain is managed and he recovers. :hug8:
Am sorting that out now. The biggest problem is trying to get him to keep still. Have moved all his perches in his main cage and night time cage very low - but am thinking of using his travel cage. He's so fussy how he sleeps and is still wanting to be on the highest perch, on one leg with his head on backwards.
Most of the time during the day he's been on me - as that's when he's the most still. He's always been a shoulder bird all day and I'm having to move around very slowly. It's just in preference to having him move around in his cage - but I'll look for a tank. It's nearly midnight here (UK), so will have to be tomorrow but his travel cage will hopefully stop his fidgety butt till then. Thank you.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Am sorting that out now. The biggest problem is trying to get him to keep still. Have moved all his perches in his main cage and night time cage very low - but am thinking of using his travel cage. He's so fussy how he sleeps and is still wanting to be on the highest perch, on one leg with his head on backwards.
Most of the time during the day he's been on me - as that's when he's the most still. He's always been a shoulder bird all day and I'm having to move around very slowly. It's just in preference to having him move around in his cage - but I'll look for a tank. It's nearly midnight here (UK), so will have to be tomorrow but his travel cage will hopefully stop his fidgety butt till then. Thank you.
you can get a plastic tote/tub container (a clear one) and keep him in there as a hospital cage. or an aquarium. That would probably be best to keep him from being too active

Rain

Strolling the yard
Thank you gibsongrrrl - shall try to get one tomorrow (maybe one of those clothes storage boxes with a high side). Will have to send someone for it, as don't want to leave him.

Thank you all so much for your lovely thoughts and advice. I have to go to bed, as am exhausted. I'm just praying he gets through tonight.

Once again - thank you and I shall update tomorrow.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so sorry about the injury to your feathered friend. Seems that you are doing the best you can for him. I will send positive thoughts your way and hope that he is able to recover from this. If you do put him in a small tank/terrarium put layers of paper toweling on the bottom and possibly a soft towel.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I am so sorry about the injury to your feathered friend. Seems that you are doing the best you can for him. I will send positive thoughts your way and hope that he is able to recover from this. If you do put him in a small tank/terrarium put layers of paper toweling on the bottom and possibly a soft towel.
good advice. what I am using for the bottom that the vet recommended are 100% cotton/Flannel receiving blankets. I put those on top of the towel in case she wants to chew. You can get 3 or 4 in a pack for $8-$10.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Prayers coming for your little guy :hug8:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Check with the vet regarding heat. I am not sure about swelling of nerves etc with additional heat. I'm wondering too if he can prescribe tramadol. I would think something that serious could do with the better pain meds. Also, does it say on the bottle the mg as noted by Milo? My cheekies get .06 for 60 grams .07 for 70 grams and .08 for 80 grams but that is at the compounded amounts denoted by Milo. I am so sorry your little guy is hurt. :hug8:

CrystalLeo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Christi
Oh wow, such a bad injury! I hope he recovers fully from it. I have no experience with anything like this but so far I see all the suggestions as being brilliant! Let us know about his progress! All best wishes your way for your fid!

Rain

Strolling the yard
Thank you everyone. Just checked the meds and the dosage is what is on the bottle. Definitely 0.02mg Metacam. Maybe I'll query it when I talk to the vet later.

Well, he's still with us, though he gave me a fright in the night.

He had a night fright - due to being wobbly on his perch I think. His heart was racing and I thought I was going to lose him - not to mention him flapping around before I could get to him (about 30 seconds but it seemed like a lifetime). That's all he needs, when he's meant to be still.

I took him under the duvet with me for a snuggle and he calmed down ok.

I tried again with his travel cage and towels down, for him to sleep on - but he decided he wasn't having that and I had to keep stopping him from hanging upside down from the top. He hates sleeping, unless on a perch. So I put his perch just about an inch above the bottom, with towels underneath and he settled on that. Going to try and get a tank, or something with smooth sides today - preferably for day time - so he can't climb.

Was so scared this morning to lift the covers up - but there he was blowing kisses at me. He's just had a big breakfast - pellets, cherries, blueberries, apple, melon, piece of orange, sugar snap peas, mange tout, baby corn, some nuts, wholegrain toast with a little coconut oil on.

Has had his meds and now he's sitting, grinding his beak. His breathing still seems deep and like it's an effort but the vet says that's due to pain. Am calling the vet again in a few hours between his appointments to ask a few more things.

Worried that he'll have a reaction to the meds but I know it's better he has them, in case he gets an infection.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I'm so glad he made it through the night okay, you did the right thing with the perch. It's hard when they're still trying to do normal things!

Honestly I wouldn't worry about the meds being too much for him. They are in appropriate dosages, well within a therapeutic range. Do ask your vet about possibly adding in a Tramadol suspension, it will add in some more pain relief and potentially help keep him calm.

Rain

Strolling the yard
Speaking to vet in about an hour (hopefully) - shall ask about the Tramadol, thank you.