• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Fractured Spine

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you both so much.
I agree mythic - am totally neurotic when it comes to his meds. I always double check online that the dosage is right. Not that I don't trust my vet - just that I know mistakes are made. Plus I'm so careful I'm giving the right measures. Am watching him very carefully, in case of any reaction to the meds. Just hoping he tolerates them well.
Nothing wrong with being extra careful. Several years ago the tech or assistant at the vet's office mislabeled medications. Luckily I was familiar with both of them and knew that something was wrong since the colors did not match how they were labeled. I called to be sure and, yes, they mixed the bottles up. Bad mistake because if one didn't know they would have given too high of a dosage of one of the medications.

Rain

Strolling the yard
Thank you everyone.

Quick update - noticed he had vomited last night in his night time cage. Rang the vet and he said it could be a side effect of the Baytril or Itrafungol.

He said stop the Baytril and the anti fungal for 24 hours (still keeping the Metacam pain relief). Then I'll start them again tomorrow and see if he vomits again. If he does, then I'm to stop them altogether.

Need to ring them Monday morning to tell them how he is and may need to take him back on Monday, instead of Tuesday.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Poor baby. I hope he is able to over me this and heal. Hugs to you both :hug8: :hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Well Rain, Baytril and Itraconazole (Itrafungol) are both noted for causing nausea in birds. I recently had to treat my bird for Aspergillosis (again) and my vet prescribed Voriconazole and my Jasper was much more tolerant of it. You may want to ask your vet about Voraconazole - it's pretty new. Voraconazole is less toxic to the liver too. Voriconazole: MedlinePlus Drug Information

I have never used Clavamox, but it is broad spectrum and many owners swear by it. Here's information on Clavamox; Clavamox Tablets for Animal Use - Drugs.com

Your baby is a real trooper - I have great confidence in him. And you are doing a great job of caring for him.

lamagdalena

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
OMG I just read the entire thread.... :hug8: You are being such a great Parront, there is nothing of value for me to offer except my support and prayers for his recovery.

He is such a brave little guy <3

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Thanks for the update! Still praying. Sounds like your guy is tough and a fighter, sorry he is having issues with the meds, hope the above info from a roadie helps

Rain

Strolling the yard
Thanks for the continuing prayers and good wishes.
Hankmacaw - thank you so much for the info. I'll have a read through.
I'm in the UK and our avian vets don't always use the most up to date meds but I shall ask my vet about these other options.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Thanks for the continuing prayers and good wishes.
Hankmacaw - thank you so much for the info. I'll have a read through.
I'm in the UK and our avian vets don't always use the most up to date meds but I shall ask my vet about these other options.
Dubai is the same. It is also so hard to get meds here because of government restrictions they point you to the 'natural' or 'low dose'

After many years- including the most recent incident, Get it right the first time by doing enough research it makes your eyes bleed, and pay for a home visit to reduce stress on your loved one if you want to change meds.

My thoughts are with you... and every bit I have left in me- I am sending your way.

Rain

Strolling the yard
Dubai is the same. It is also so hard to get meds here because of government restrictions they point you to the 'natural' or 'low dose'

After many years- including the most recent incident, Get it right the first time by doing enough research it makes your eyes bleed, and pay for a home visit to reduce stress on your loved one if you want to change meds.

My thoughts are with you... and every bit I have left in me- I am sending your way.
Likewise mythic - keeping you in my thoughts. I can't express how much my heart breaks for you.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I am sorry you are going through this. Try to limit his movement. I would have him in a hospital cage with no perches. If he is to fall off a perch, there is a possibility that the fracture could impinge on the spinal cord. You need to protect the spinal cord and avoid any chance of potential injury. Watch to make sure he retains bowel and bladder function. It is probably painful to breath, so he is taking shallow breaths, which sets him up for pneumoniae. I am glad you are watching for this and prophylactically treating for this. Your little guy must be in an incredible amt. of pain. :(

Rain

Strolling the yard
I am sorry you are going through this. Try to limit his movement. I would have him in a hospital cage with no perches. If he is to fall off a perch, there is a possibility that the fracture could impinge on the spinal cord. You need to protect the spinal cord and avoid any chance of potential injury. Watch to make sure he retains bowel and bladder function. It is probably painful to breath, so he is taking shallow breaths, which sets him up for pneumoniae. I am glad you are watching for this and prophylactically treating for this. Your little guy must be in an incredible amt. of pain. :(
Thank you. The hardest thing is to keep him still - especially since I stopped his meds today (apart from painkillers). He's in a tank during the day, when eating, but keeps trying to climb out (even though the sides are glass). He managed to brace himself up the sides earlier and hung on the top ridge by his beak - you've never seen me move so fast.

Otherwise he's sitting still with me on the sofa. I'm constantly trying to stop him from jumping around and abseiling onto the floor. He's such a fidget and keeps grumbling at me because I won't let him do what he wants.

At night, he's in a travel cage - padded with towels and his perch just an inch above them.
He's trying to do far more than he's supposed to and I have to keep distracting him. He was even trying to dance earlier - nearly sent my blood pressure through the roof.

If he doesn't vomit tonight, he's back on his antibiotics and anti fungals tomorrow. They seem to keep him a little sedated but unfortunately make him lose his appetite too.
I'm lucky in the fact that I'm able to be with him every minute and keep a close eye on him.

Yes, his breathing is a worry to me. I'm hoping that the meds stop any infections before they start. That's if he's able to keep on taking them.

He gave me a little pinch earlier because he didn't want to be put to bed - and he blew me a raspberry. He's still fighting, bless him - I'm just concerned he's going to make his spine worse because he won't keep still. And the meds are so needed but they seem to be making him sick. It's all so hard to know what to do for the best.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Just love him, that's the best parenting you can so

faeryphoebe1

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Still praying for you both. Thanks for keeping us updated. (((hugs)))

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
sounds like you are doing everything that you can do to help him ,he sure dose sound like a fighter and thats a good thing right now.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
He sounds like such a little champion, too brave for his own good. :hug8:
I hope he heals well. It sounds like you are doing everything you are able and it's very clear how much you love him.