• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Fractured Spine

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I am very relieved to hear Ri made it through the night. It's amazing how resilient they can be. I hope he'll be ok. :hug8:

Rain

Strolling the yard
Thank you Birdiemarie.

Just spoke to vet and he said the fracture is about a cm cranial of (think that means above) the synsacrum (need to look that up). Also that there a bend in his spine now, which could have done with a second x ray to look at better - but being as his breathing was bad, they wouldn't chance it.

No CT scan for now, as he wouldn't get through the anesthetic. His breathing could be stress or pain, or the beginning of an infection - which is why he has the antibiotics and anti fungals.

No Tramadol because it's too sedating and his breathing isn't up to it.

I said about his poos being darker today. They're not black, but much darker green. He said just keep an eye on him and it's good that he's eating.

So, it's just time now - which is going so slowly. Back to see him next week.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My Jasper is on both Metacam and Tramadol for bad arthritis. After some trial and error I have settled on Metacam during the day and Tramadol at night so she can get better sleep. The Tramadol twice each day was suppressing her appetite. She also has significant atherosclerosis and congestive heart failure, so the Tramadol isn't effecting her heart - anyway as of yet.

Your boy sounds like he is doing great - eating and reacting to you . You have my complete empathy - a seriously ill bird is a constant worry.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I found this illustration of a bird's skeleton showing the position of the Synsacrum.

The vertebral column consists of vertebrae, and is divided into three sections: cervical (13-16) (neck), Synsacrum (fused vertebrae of the back, also fused to the hips (pelvis), and pygostyle (tail).

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad that he is still with you and that he is eating & interacting. :)

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Prayers coming your way. He is eating and sounds like doing a little better.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My name is "Clueless" for valid reasons. I can, however, offer prayers for you and your little guy.

He sounds like quite a fighter.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Is it a hairline or total fracture. That spot looks like a big bone on the back.
Cranial would mean head end so you're right in front of. So its in front of the big bone which looks more like a hip. Not sure if that's good or bad but he's alive so theres a lot of hope. Here's hoping for best
:hug8:

Last edited:

Rain

Strolling the yard
I found this illustration of a bird's skeleton showing the position of the Synsacrum.

The vertebral column consists of vertebrae, and is divided into three sections: cervical (13-16) (neck), Synsacrum (fused vertebrae of the back, also fused to the hips (pelvis), and pygostyle (tail).

Thank you so much for this - on the x ray it seemed quite high up on his back. I guess a cm above the synsacrum is quite a lot for a little bird.

Rain

Strolling the yard
Is it a hairline or total fracture. That spot looks like a big bone on the back.
Cranial would mean head end so you're right in front of. So its in front of the big bone which looks more like a hip. Not sure if that's good or bad but he's alive so theres a lot of hope. Here's hoping for best
:hug8:

I'm not sure which kind of fracture it is - neither is the vet because he said they really needed another x ray to be able to see properly but couldn't because they would have lost him. He showed me with a magnifying glass. I still couldn't see it. It's quite high on his body - so it seemed. About a cm above where the synsacrum starts. Thank you for your post. : )

Rain

Strolling the yard
To everyone sending prayers and good wishes - thank you so much. You don't know how much they are appreciated.

He made it through another night. He's not eating as much this morning but I think I kept him awake a lot last night coughing (got a cold). Plus the antibiotics could be making him a little nauseous. But my Harrison's Recovery Formula should be here today, so I shall use that if needed. Plus am waiting for his tank to be delivered this morning also. Shall see how he gets on with that.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Im sending love your way. Check and double check meds.... and also gauge the stress of the bird with visits and medication. Wishing you the best

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
My thoughts and prayers are with You :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Rain

Strolling the yard
Thank you both so much.
I agree mythic - am totally neurotic when it comes to his meds. I always double check online that the dosage is right. Not that I don't trust my vet - just that I know mistakes are made. Plus I'm so careful I'm giving the right measures. Am watching him very carefully, in case of any reaction to the meds. Just hoping he tolerates them well.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He's still fighting and that's good.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Adding my prayers. He seems like he's willing to fight, I pray he wins his battle.