• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Found out wild and sick pigeon

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
I saw a pigeon in my water tank, luckily I saw her alive, I took her out of water immediately. I came to know that she's suffering with some kind of disease, it looks like pox. She can't fly, I don't want her to a meat to cat. Can I help her anything? Kindly Can anybody give me suggestions? I kept her in a cage right now. I will take her to a veterinary tomorrow.

Attachments

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Make sure you practice impeccable biosecurity. This sick pigeon must not be in the same airspace as your budgie(s). They must not share any equipment such as bowls or perches. You must wash your hands thoroughly and, ideally, change clothes after caring for the pigeon and before coming into contact with any other bird. Ideally, care for your budgie(s) first and then tend to the pigeon - don't care for the sick bird then the healthy ones. This minimises disease exposure.

As for helping the pigeon, all you can really do is keep her quiet, calm and offer food and water. A little scrambled egg is a better option than e.g. bread. However, don't force her to eat or drink.

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
Make sure you practice impeccable biosecurity. This sick pigeon must not be in the same airspace as your budgie(s). They must not share any equipment such as bowls or perches. You must wash your hands thoroughly and, ideally, change clothes after caring for the pigeon and before coming into contact with any other bird. Ideally, care for your budgie(s) first and then tend to the pigeon - don't care for the sick bird then the healthy ones. This minimises disease exposure.

As for helping the pigeon, all you can really do is keep her quiet, calm and offer food and water. A little scrambled egg is a better option than e.g. bread. However, don't force her to eat or drink.
Thanks for the reply.. yeah, I'm not sharing any equipment which I use for my budgies, I did bath before entering into my bird room, sick pigeon is in the other room. Even I'm worried about disease exposition, I'm having 12 budgies, they are my first preference. Sick pigeon is in my grandma's room. She wants to take care of pigeon, even I asked her to stay away from budgies for few days.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can you call your local wildlife rescue? They are the people who are best equiped to deal with unwell wild animals.

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
Can you call your local wildlife rescue? They are the people who are best equiped to deal with unwell wild animals.
Sure. I asked a guy to take pigeon with him, he has knowledge of pigeons. He may come and take bird with him today.. thank you for the reply...

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
It also could be canker