• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found lovebird in Morningside Park, NYC

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Just wanted to post here that I've been seeing a lovebird in Morningside Park in Manhattan. He's supposedly been here since May or June. He seems to have half-integrated himself into a flock of House Sparrows, and he has seemingly become adept at finding food (from people mostly). He stays in Morningside Park and the surrounding area East of it. He's a very strong flier, but does not seem too scared of people. I've been able to bring my hand within 4-5 inches of him, when I tried to get him to step up. It's started getting colder now, so his time is running out.

EhKKiVrXcAATTy2.jpg

In terms of trying to catch him, it is difficult. I've thought about perhaps bringing millet and trying to build enough trust so that I can actually catch him, but it'll be hard. Figured I'd post here in case anyone's been looking for him.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Bring millet in a small cage with water and set it near the bird and walk a bit away. Have lots of food and water inside the cage and of course millet. If you can put a little perch on the outside of the cage near the dor so bird can hop inside. If bird does hop inside then you can close the door. Also look on parrot 911 for lost lovebirds in the area. Oh and thanks for trying and being concerned.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thankyou for looking out for the little guy! I hope someone is able to pick him up and keep him safe!

You could also try a large net for catching him - not ideal but it will be a one and done and he can grumble in the cage afterwards while safe.

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Bring millet in a small cage with water and set it near the bird and walk a bit away. Have lots of food and water inside the cage and of course millet. If you can put a little perch on the outside of the cage near the dor so bird can hop inside. If bird does hop inside then you can close the door. Also look on parrot 911 for lost lovebirds in the area. Oh and thanks for trying and being concerned.
Thanks, I'll try that!

Thankyou for looking out for the little guy! I hope someone is able to pick him up and keep him safe!

You could also try a large net for catching him - not ideal but it will be a one and done and he can grumble in the cage afterwards while safe.
Yeah I've thought about that, perhaps throwing bird netting or something like that. We shall see, he's a smart guy!

The neighborhood knows about him and people come by to feed him and watch him, but nobody has been able to catch him yet. :(

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This just breaks my heart! Although the little one is probably having the time of his life :unsure1:

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
This just breaks my heart! Although the little one is probably having the time of his life :unsure1:
I feel that! He is most definitely having the absolute time of his life. He's always zooming around and interacting with other birds. I wish I could somehow teleport him to his native African homelands, where he would be able to survive.

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
I am very happy to announce that after 6 months of being out on the loose, the rogue lovebird has been apprehended! It's been weeks now that I go and see him in the park, but I was never able to get near him. I've spent the last couple days feeding him and his flock of house sparrow friends. Today I brought some of my conures' food with me, and started feeding them in the grass, where I knew they'd have to bury their heads into the grass to get at the food, so he wouldn't be able to watch me as closely. I was then able to get close enough and grab him.

Now I need to figure out what to do with him. Nobody has posted looking for him online. I am satisfied plenty with the two conures I have and do not wish to keep him myself. Any ideas on who to reach out to? I'm happy to keep him as long as it takes to relocate him. Given that he has spent half a year being out in the wild and flying around, I would love to see him go somewhere he could be in an aviary with other lovebirds.

Here is the dude:
IMG_8630.jpg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
That's fantastic!!!! Great job catching the little illusive guy!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh wow! How incredible you were able to get him :loveshower: I hope he ends up in a wonderful home :hug9: :cloud9:

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Such a good idea. Call your vet and pose the question about where he can go.
Unfortunately my vet is located in Maryland, so I doubt she would have a clue about what resources exist for this guy. I am reaching out to the local Facebook and rescue groups, as well as posting about it on Nextdoor. One Facebook post mentioned that there were "lost lovebird" signs around the park a couple months back, so I am waiting to see if anyone has any information about that. I'll see about hanging up "found" posters as well.

EDIT: The Long Island Parrot Society has offered to help me place him with one of their adoption applicants if nobody steps forward to claim him!

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Somebody in a Facebook group suggested that I give him to the Bronx Zoo. The thought of sending him to go live in a cage once again after he's had such a taste of freedom makes me sad, so the idea of sending him to go live in a large aviary with other lovebirds is very appealing. Thoughts?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I like the idea of going to a large aviary in a zoo with other birds.
I just looked and don't see lovebirds on their website though.. Are you sure they have some there?

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
I just looked and don't see lovebirds on their website though.. Are you sure they have some there?
I'm not sure? Though I was assuming that this sorta thing has been done before if it was suggested to me by a local bird person. I'm currently waiting for a response as to who I would contact to explore this option, so we'll see.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I kind of recall seeing some there last time I went (mid December 2019), but i'm not sure what kind they were, or if they were really lovebirds.

If it was lovebirds, then the space for them is amazing and the little guy would probably love it!