• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found her on the floor, "nesting"

Kori

Walking the driveway
Azuki had her 6th egg yesterday :sick:
For the second time she laid straight from her perch. I'd actually planned on letting her have the egg overnight, in case she needed to have more time with it to feel satisfied -and hopefully stop.
But as I was replacing her liner later on, (Azuki was out playing and hadn't visited the egg once) I gave the egg a little gentle wipe and it broke. I think it must've had a crack in it from the fall. So I had to take it out then and there.

This morning when I uncovered her, I found her on the floor of the cage (heart attack!), lying flat down as if nesting or brooding. Is this a possible sign that taking away the eggs is not working and that in fact she needs to spend time with them? She mostly ignored the eggs so I was surprised to see her like this. It's not exactly the first time, she did it briefly the day before she laid her 6th.
She is 36g this morning, 37 yesterday before she laid her egg, so it seems another is on the way :arghh:
Should I consider that she may need fake eggs?
@Ripshod

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Have you rearranged the cage, moved it to a whole new area, increased night hours etc?

Kori

Walking the driveway
Have you rearranged the cage, moved it to a whole new area, increased night hours etc?
Yes, yes and yes :wacky:
- bought all new toys - she loves them. Switch them around daily.
- small apartment, but I am placing the cage in different spots daily. One day on the dining table, next day on a side table etc. Granted, only started this week.
- She has darkness from 5pm to 9am. Bought blackout curtains. Have a UVB lamp for the daytime - about 1 -2 hours because she is out most of the time.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
My mom's sun conure Louie USED to do this. How I stopped Louie's egg laying in my circumstance - I removed her mirrors, and I removed her toy she used to masturbate with ie rub her butt all over. I removed her tent and replaced it with a snuggy. I removed her additional lighting, so she only had natural light and it worked. Egg binding in female birds is very painful and usually fatal. In other words, before they die the bird feels incredible amounts of pain as they die. If I were you Id stop moving her cage around because that just makes for an unstable environment. I mean do you constantly move your bedroom to different rooms every day ... To rotate toys is ok though but every day is a bit of a overkill. Does she masterbate on any certain toy or perch? If so, remove it immediately. Does she have mirrors? Remove them. Where or what she masturbates on remove that and throw it out. Remove the newspaper so you just have a grate for a while so she can't go under newspaper. Dont use the additonional lighting any more. Pick one spot for the cage after you remove her masturbating toys/objects and newspaper and keep it there. When you hold her if she goes into mating position just redirect her attention or put her down till she figures out that isnt acceptable. Dont be mean in no way shape or form or scold her just ignore the behavior and redirect it. It is only a natural behavior.

Kori

Walking the driveway
My mom's sun conure Louie USED to do this. How I stopped Louie's egg laying in my circumstance - I removed her mirrors, and I removed her toy she used to masturbate with ie rub her butt all over. I removed her tent and replaced it with a snuggy. I removed her additional lighting, so she only had natural light and it worked. Egg binding in female birds is very painful and usually fatal. In other words, before they die the bird feels incredible amounts of pain as they die. If I were you Id stop moving her cage around because that just makes for an unstable environment. I mean do you constantly move your bedroom to different rooms every day ... To rotate toys is ok though but every day is a bit of a overkill. Does she masterbate on any certain toy or perch? If so, remove it immediately. Does she have mirrors? Remove them. Where or what she masturbates on remove that and throw it out. Remove the newspaper so you just have a grate for a while so she can't go under newspaper. Dont use the additonional lighting any more. Pick one spot for the cage after you remove her masturbating toys/objects and newspaper and keep it there. When you hold her if she goes into mating position just redirect her attention or put her down till she figures out that isnt acceptable. Dont be mean in no way shape or form or scold her just ignore the behavior and redirect it. It is only a natural behavior.

Thanks for sharing your experience x

Interestingly, I've never seen Azuki masturbate, nor has she regurgitated to me or anything else (that I've seen).
She has never had mirrors. I cover the one in the living room when she comes out, as she will visit it.

The things you picked up on as overkill - rotating toys and moving her cage around - are only things I've started to do since she started laying. The point is to create an unstable environment so she thinks it isn't a good time to lay eggs. But so far it's not working - she is fearless and loves new things!!
The UVB light is also new, and in fact is said to help balance hormones. This is probably more long term though. She only gets 1 - 2 hours a day.

The idea for moving her cage around comes from IAABC Certified Parrot Behavior Consultant, Pamela Clark. This article - Companion Parrots and Reproductive Hormones . She herself calls it "extreme measures" but with this being Azuki's 7th egg, I am willing to try anything !

I know just how scary and dangerous egg binding is, so that's why I'm desperate for this to stop! I shed tears every time she successfully lays an egg and is ok. :arghh:
I'm so glad Louie eventually stopped! x