• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found bird in Houston, TX. Wings clipped (horribly) What is it?

mzkitty

Checking out the neighborhood

Definitely not tamed, and the clipped wings was a horribly botched job and the tail feathers look to have been pulled. I've got him in my bird carrier and the poor thing is exhausted. He doesn't seem to be injured. He's a fast runner. Not sure what to do since I've got a turquoise green cheek and I have no idea if he has any diseases. He's in the carrier on my desk and Ludo is safely in his cage 20 ft on the other side of the room. What should I do? And what is he?

Mer Boy

Walking the driveway
I do not know a lot about quails so I'm not sure what you should do. In regards to his wings, I believe that is the way they normally grow in for a quail.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You could post on Parrot Alert, Craigslist, or if your area has one, a Facebook page for lost and found animals. Also, veterinarians' offices came be a good place to notify.

Matt

mzkitty

Checking out the neighborhood
Should I be worried about any airborne diseases from him being near my turquoise green cheek?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I've read that people with exotic aviaries sometimes have quail to "clean up" the bottom of the aviaries/cages but don't quote me.

Mer Boy

Walking the driveway
I've read that people with exotic aviaries sometimes have quail to "clean up" the bottom of the aviaries/cages but don't quote me.
This is true. A while back my family had a budgie/cockatiel aviary that also housed a few quails. Lots of people I know keep quails in parrot/finch/canary aviaries.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Should I be worried about any airborne diseases from him being near my turquoise green cheek?
Yes, do not allow him in the same room. Practice proper quarantine methods at all times!

Chione

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
It's so cute! How do people use them for clean up? Just because they eat the seed and stuff that ends up on the ground?

Castle of Wings

Sitting on the front steps
That's a button quail. It's very difficult to tame one of those, so people normally keep them simply because they're cute. They are usually kept in pairs. These birds need to be kept at around room temperature. Feeding these can be a little tricky. They need more protein than parrots, so I would buy some game bird food (20% protein+). You probably won't find it at a pet store, so try a store like Tractor Supply. You may need to grind up the food because of how small the little guys are. They are ground birds and do not perch, so I would get him an enclosure with some places to hide and a solid bottom. While they can't fly very well, they will fly straight up very quickly and potentially hit their heads when startled (might want to put padding on the cage roof). Hope some of this helps. I don't currently have any buttons, but I ordered some eggs online and I'm putting them in my incubator today. This is all just information I've found through researching them.

(Just noticed when this was originally posted, haha. Well, can't hurt to leave the information here.)

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
Yup a male button quail at that. I had a very tame silver female. I had to rehome her because her mate was dinner for a predator and poor thing became too attached to us and she didnt like echo. They are very territorial little birds. Now she lives with another male at her new home.