• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found baby pigeon in the rain - please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweethartza

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shaz
My boyfriend found a baby pigeon yesterday afternoon in the rain. It has the 'baby feathers' but can now walk around. I'll post the pics later today. But, i'm feeding him AviPlus Handfeeding formula for parokeets (was for Rori one time). My problem is that I don't know if it's eating properly or not. Feeding time is a VERY messy affair. Please, any advice is welcomed.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Make sure you keep him far away from Chirpee, and wash your hands and change your clothes between them.

here is some info

sweethartza

Real Name
Shaz
Carole, thank-you so much. You always come to my rescue. I will get the syringes and latex glove. I was using the teaspoon that i used for the other birds, where I curled the sides towards each other to make a scooping tunnel. but i think that it was a little uncomfortable for him/her. He/She would shake the formula away from his/her beak when i was feeding him/her. He/She seems a little older than the one in the video and can fly - which is making me feel guilty for keeping her (but my dad wants us to and he's always supported me with my babies when my mom was on my case). He/She is also pecking at the blanket so I put some of Rori's seeds in the cage in the meantime.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I think the spoon is fine, and probably safer.;) Good luck!

sweethartza

Real Name
Shaz
Got the syringe and the glove (glove for free) and he/she ate :dance4:He/She managed to eat 25mls or cc of formula. Even though it was still messy but he/she ate:dance5:. And I was shaking all the way (maybe that's why it was messy :hehe:. He/She's sleeping now. I can now breathe:p

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
bless your heart for taking the little one in...!!

sweethartza

Real Name
Shaz
The baby is doing fine - just sleeping a lot. I wanted to post some pics but my boyfriend decided to take the camera to town with him. So I'll post them when he comes back. He/She doesn't try to slap my hand with his/her wings anymore but will try to attack the syringe when it comes here the beak. Not sure about the name just yet. I believe it will just come to me later.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
How nice of you to take this little one in. Can't wait for the pics :D.

sweethartza

Real Name
Shaz
Here are a couple of pics. He/She was not keen on posing and being disturbed at the time. The tailfeathers are in - they are grey with a bit of white just underneath - and the wings are dark brown with light brown bands on (almost like small highlights). But as you can see, it can get quite messy during mealtime.:lol:
P1230127.jpg P1230128.jpg
I've decided to name him/her Benji. Just one question - when can he start taking baths?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
You need to take a warm washcloth and wash off the food and clean him up after each feeding. He is very cute.

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Pigeons are one of the toughest breeds of bird I believe very good survivors.And she/he looks gorgeous little birdie.

sweethartza

Real Name
Shaz
Will do, Carole. She definitely is a survivor, Jim. She's already beaking the seeds. The colours are slowly coming through on the wings and is very inquisitive:D. I have a feeling he/she's going to have to go outside soon - he/she's growing up so fast:huh:. Anne, all I can do is hope that he/she continues thriving.

Status
Not open for further replies.