• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Found an injured baby bird and located nest. What do I do?

budgie2021

Sprinting down the street
My younger brother was at a party which I didn't attend. He didn't see the bird emerge directly, his friends found it first. Through my brother's testimony, his friends supposedly found it hopping on the lawn. it is 10:30 pm where we are. According to them, it could hop but couldn't fly. It is a wild bird, a fledging. I do not know the breed. We took it home in a shoebox with a towel, but they notified us as we were going home that they found the nest. Its left wing looks disheveled, so we assume it is injured. Should we go back and return it to its nest or keep it and take it to a rehabilitator on Monday morning when they open?

Please let me know asap, it's breathing rapidly, probably scared. Thank you

I have two budgies of my own and they are in separate areas of the house.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Are you home now if so keep the little one quiet, no peeking at it and call rehabber in morning.

budgie2021

Are you home now if so keep the little one quiet, no peeking at it and call rehabber in morning.
While it was at our home, it woke up at hopped around a lot. It started to call and opened its beak for food. At that point, I dragged my parents back to the house where we found it and they told me to leave it in the shoebox with the towel, underneath the hedge where its nest was once found. I placed it on the ground, where it was dimly lit by a garden light. The hedge was difficult to open to locate the nest again. I didn't see this response in time. I'm hoping it will be okay :(

budgie2021

While it was at our home, it woke up at hopped around a lot. It started to call and opened its beak for food. At that point, I dragged my parents back to the house where we found it and they told me to leave it in the shoebox with the towel, underneath the hedge where its nest was once found. I placed it on the ground, where it was dimly lit by a garden light. The hedge was difficult to open to locate the nest again. I didn't see this response in time. I'm hoping it will be okay :(
Also it had a lot of bugs, I disinfected the areas where he was. Are there any other precautions to take so that they won't spread to my budgies?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Personally if it was injured I would have kept a hold of the bird until the rehab centre opens. Birds that can´t fly are easy pickings for cats and other predators.

Also it had a lot of bugs, I disinfected the areas where he was. Are there any other precautions to take so that they won't spread to my budgies?
@Birdbabe is always picking up injured birds, maybe she´ll have some tips :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can you go back and get the injured baby? Keep him in the box, warm , dark and quiet. If hes opening for food, you can try to feed cooked cooled oatmeal in a pinch, then get him to the wildlife rescue tomorrow. The bugs could be lice or mites, keep him in a separate area from your birds. Thanks for caring.