• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Found a sick pigeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
Hey,

It is pouring out here in Boston, it is dark and miserable and while I was outside checking around the building at work I found a pigeon huddled and drenched next to the newspaper stand. He is beak breathing a little and his crop looks pretty swollen to me but admittedly he is drenched and I never handled a pigeon before.

My boss let me put him in the storeroom where it is quiet in a box for now to warm up and dry off, does anyone know what I can do and where in the MA. area there is a wildlife rehab that will accept pigeons? I am at work mind you so we might have to do some macguyver type stuff to achieve anything. I have no heating pads or anything really so other than room temp and a bunch of paper shavings from one of the florists I cant seem to play with temp much. :(

Thanks.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh, thank you so much for taking this little guy in!

When I first found Wonka (also a sick feral pigeon) a lot of people on this forum referred me to a fantastic pigeon forum.

Here is a link: Pigeon-Talk - Powered by vBulletin

They will definitely be able to provide you with good information and might be able to point you in the right direction for a pigeon rescue!

I know they helped me tremendously in saving Wonka's life. :)

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Good morning Haley,

Any chance of calling someone at your work place who has yet to come to work and ask them to bring in a heating pad or space heater, food items, brooder (empty small fish tank) and/or etc.? If I were in your shoes, in the meantime, I would dry him off as best I could and find something to hold water that is easy for him to drink out of.

Yes, he probably needs to get to a rehabber or avian vet asap. Maybe there are enough kind and caring souls in your work building who will pitch in a few bucks apiece to see that the bird gets proper help? Maybe your boss will give you time off to take the bird to a rehabber (as soon as you can find one) or avian vet?

Great advice there C.P.

Last edited:

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
Do you by chance see any puncture wounds? They may be very small. Also, do you see any "bumps" around his face or in his mouth? If you can make a nest out of towels that will help his body heat. Good luck.

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
No luck on that, I am the one that comes in latest at 4:30 am.

I only have paper towels to use and I was trying to avoid handling him as I was worried it would stress him out more. I will try and dry him off and make the most out of the paper towels I have at my disposal. His breathing seems to be getting worse and I can't get out of work early we are short staffed today. This sucks.

Thanks for the help, I hope he hangs in there. Looking over the info too.

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
Too late, he just passed away in my hands.

Poor little thing. I wish there was more that I could have done, he likely was out all night in the rain. I couldn't find any injuries on him but no telling if he managed to fly into something and do damage internally. Poor baby, rest in peace.

Thank you all for your help.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I'm sorry. Thanks for trying to help this guy.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Thank you for being kind enough to attempt to save him. He died warm and peaceful, instead of out in the freezing cold rain.

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
I had sent out a message to the Mass fish and wildlife assoc. this morning when I found the poor guy, this is what they sent me unfortunately too late but for others in MA. it might prove useful if they should ever find themselves in the same situation.

Wildlife, Mass (FWE) to me
show details 9:03 AM (27 minutes ago)
Dear Haley,
Here is a list of wildlife rehabilitators in Massachusetts. You would be wise to call first as some rehabbers only care for certain kinds of critters:
MassWildlife - Wildlife Rehabilitators

For our records, in what town did you find the pigeon. Good luck.

Make a wild investment in Massachusetts by buying a license or making a donation to the Natural Heritage & Endangered Species Fund or Wildlands Fund!
Visit the Great Outdoors Blog at: Commonwealth Conversations: The Great Outdoors

MassWildlife - Home Page

MassWildlife serves your community from the following Offices:
Western District, Dalton 413/684-1646
Connecticut Valley District, Belchertown 413/323-7632
Central District, W. Boylston 508/835-3607
Northeast District, Ayer 978/772-2145
Southeast District, Buzzards Bay 508/759-3406
Westborough Field Headquarters 508-389-6300

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
:hug8:Sorry you lost the pigeon :(

A good thing (furure reference) for emergency heat is to fill up a rubber glove or a zip lock bag with warm water. Another source that I have used when the power has gone out is on top of the Hot water heater.

Attachments

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
You did the very best you could under the circumstances. Us wildlife rehabbers are not that easy to find. We are not listed in phone books, so fish and wildlife, or in our case, all of the police and sheriff offices know how to get in contact with us as well as the humane societies and animal control. Alot of vets can put you in contact with a wildlife rehabber also.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Thank you Haley for doing what you could, he did not pass alone and in the rain

:hug8:

fly free sweet pigeon

Status
Not open for further replies.