• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found a racing pigeon at work today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Set

Walking the driveway
Or rather, he found me.

I think I've said it before, but I work in a recycling yard. Generally I'm in the office. Today, I was coming back from chatting with someone in the attached second hand store and suddenly.. pigeon in the office. I leave the door open most of the time, so it just wandered right in. One of my coworkers was in the lunch room at the time and all he could say was 'You see that bird too, right?' He nearly kicked it because he thought it was fake :p

So we shooed him out of the office. About an hour later he wandered into the market. Me being a wee bit crazy and hyped up on caffeine ran after him saying 'HERE PIGEON'. He ran away.

Well after another hour, he was still in the yard. The yard is always really busy, and we constantly have big trucks coming in and out. I went out to check on the little guy and he wasn't flying too great. He'd fly up, but then just come right back down. Def not high enough to avoid a truck if it came at him. People in the yard don't stop for people, let alone pigeons.

So I enlisted the help of a market lady and we caught him with a pink butterfly net. He was very friendly and kind of freaked out, but no biting and once we had him he wasn't trying to get away. We put him into a carrier and he hung out in the office with me. He had a band on his leg from a racing pigeon union, and a black band on his other leg. I got the number for the unions on his band, but no one was answering since it was Sunday. So I went through the phone book for an hour trying to find someone who was open that could tell me what to do with him. I ended up calling my own avian vets office (the only vet open on Sunday, go figure) and they said I could bring him in and they would track down who owned him. So after work I brought him there. They said I can call tomorrow for an update.

From the info on his band he's quite a ways away from home. The racing pigeon union he's with is from the mainland. He was absolutely gorgeous; a pretty white with brown flecks. I didn't get any pics of him (between trying to get paper work done, clean the office which never got finished, and dealing with the pigeon I didn't even get my lunch break) but he was just so pretty and sweet. On the ride to the vet he was much more alert and active, so I'm hoping he's going to be alright and get home.

It was quite an interesting day!

Set

Walking the driveway
Aw, my pigeon made the newspaper :p Obviously there's not much to report on in small town Canada. But it includes a picture of her!
They're trying to get her back to her home on the mainland. Hopefully it'll work out.

Story | Nanaimo Daily News

RobinCaretaker2009

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Tina Carter
Awww that's so cool. I am glad you stepped in and did something so it wouldn't get hurt. I love pigeons and doves alike. It makes you appreciate them a lot more because of their intelligence, beauty, and appreciation.:dance4:

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Are you going to keep him if they can't find his home?! Looking forward to an update!!! :dance5:

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks for saving this cutie. I hope it finds it's way home.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Set, whatever did happen with your racing pigeon? Was it ever able to go home?:confused:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Yea, don't leave us hangin'!:lol:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great story what happened with the pigeon?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.