• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found a conure

AmyEvans

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Same
Hi, I'm new to the site... but would be grateful to learn how to locate a bird band --- "JLS Farms" -- Aluminum band. I've checked the register here but didn't find "JLS Farms"... other than a livestock or trucking business.
Might this be a private breeder who hasn't registered? How can I locate the bird? the little guy is a really nice conure with habits telling me that his owner is probably devastated without him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Welcome to AA!

The list of breeders here on Aa doesn't show a breeder with the initialls on the conures band either. :(

A good place to start looking for the owner would be
Parrot FB groups might also help.
Have you notified the local vets/ shelters?

I wish I could be of more help.
I hope you find the conures person soon.
Good luck.

@Administrative can you move this to The highway home for better visibility?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Many breeders that breed large amounts of birds sell to stores who then sell the birds to individual owners. If the bird is a green-cheeked, sun, or jenday conure, it was likely not brought directly from the breeder. Have you tried searching Craigslist to see if anyone has posted that they lost their bird in your area?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you want to share a photo of the legband, only post a partial of the ID and without including too much of the bird as to not give away species. That number, along with stating the species and some family photos will be the easiest way to be sure you are handing him back to his true family.
I personally wouldn´t share any photos as at all.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
There's also this website.

Please do check with Craigslist and local Facebook groups for lost and found pets, as well as a local, or state wide, bird owner groups.

Someone did purchase a conure from Petsmart in North Carolina... so the breeder *might* be an east coast supplier. I'm with Matt here... in that even if you locate the breeder, you are unlikely to locate the owner... as the breeder probably sold the bird to a pet store who then sold the bird onto an owner... and even if you managed to locate where the bird was sold at, if the store kept records like that (would not be surprised if they don't), you are still unlikely to find the owner.

What you can do however is also contact the local vet offices and see if *ANY* of them have a report for a lost conure and see if the band may match any of their records. Also check with local pet store and feed stores.

Make up flyers with minimal information (i.e. 'found green conure with band - contact with information to ID') and hand those out to the pet stores, feed stores and vet offices. If there are grocery stores or other locations that you can put up flyers, do that as well.

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
I was also aware of the person that purchased a conure from a PetSmart in NC with that partial leg band, which is why I was asking for the state you're located in.
Everyone keeps suggesting only giving very minimal information, but as can be seen from trying to find any info on the leg band and the number of missing and sighted birds on the parrot alert website - it can be extremely difficult to get your bird back without also jumping through the hoops of vague findings. If people are that worried about someone trying to steal a lost bird, they can ask whoever contacts them for it to send a photo of their bird prior to losing it, or something to that effect. To each his own, but if I lost one of my birds I would want to be able to do a simple search and come up with specific information rather than a million Google results of "Found Macaw".

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I was also aware of the person that purchased a conure from a PetSmart in NC with that partial leg band, which is why I was asking for the state you're located in.
Everyone keeps suggesting only giving very minimal information, but as can be seen from trying to find any info on the leg band and the number of missing and sighted birds on the parrot alert website - it can be extremely difficult to get your bird back without also jumping through the hoops of vague findings. If people are that worried about someone trying to steal a lost bird, they can ask whoever contacts them for it to send a photo of their bird prior to losing it, or something to that effect. To each his own, but if I lost one of my birds I would want to be able to do a simple search and come up with specific information rather than a million Google results of "Found Macaw".

That I can easily understand. However, if there's someone who manages to find out what that lost pet looks like, they could easily google similar looking animals and then claim that animal as their own. Bird has a leg band? Oh, the bird doesn't let me hold them so I never got a chance to see what it says.

A lot of parrots look alike so it can be hard to ID a specific bird on looks alone. However, if there's a specific unusual marking that the bird has, specific mutation, a deformity or injury, or personality quirk, that can help to ID that animal. My mitred conure is missing half of his lower beak and his head coloration is near specific to him. Casey, my oldest cockatiel, is missing a toenail and she has a specific color pattern. The rest of the birds? They don't necessarily have any specific markings to differentiate them from other birds. Sure, the two foster cockatiels are pearls, one male and one female. The female is a standard pearl. The male would pass as a normal male. I know their personalities, but it would be easy to find pictures online that look like them.

Sadiesandy

Hi, I'm new to the site... but would be grateful to learn how to locate a bird band --- "JLS Farms" -- Aluminum band. I've checked the register here but didn't find "JLS Farms"... other than a livestock or trucking business.
Might this be a private breeder who hasn't registered? How can I locate the bird? the little guy is a really nice conure with habits telling me that his owner is probably devastated without him.
The owner was found it is a girl not a boy the owner did claim her. Had someone call to see if was available to adopt bit owner claimed her. That god. She is back with owner at least
That I can easily understand. However, if there's someone who manages to find out what that lost pet looks like, they could easily google similar looking animals and then claim that animal as their own. Bird has a leg band? Oh, the bird doesn't let me hold them so I never got a chance to see what it says.

A lot of parrots look alike so it can be hard to ID a specific bird on looks alone. However, if there's a specific unusual marking that the bird has, specific mutation, a deformity or injury, or personality quirk, that can help to ID that animal. My mitred conure is missing half of his lower beak and his head coloration is near specific to him. Casey, my oldest cockatiel, is missing a toenail and she has a specific color pattern. The rest of the birds? They don't necessarily have any specific markings to differentiate them from other birds. Sure, the two foster cockatiels are pearls, one male and one female. The female is a standard pearl. The male would pass as a normal male. I know their personalities, but it would be easy to find pictures online that look like them.
another way to know if the bird belongs to that person is if the bird goes to them if it bites I would not give the bird to them must times when hand raised just hearing there voice will make them go crazy lol. I heard a lot of people. Talking about this bird I believe she has another missing she has many birds and

Sadiesandy

[/ i know I have seen this bird as well as her other 5. When she lost her 2 birds she was beside her self. She is the sweetest bird out of all the ones she has I bought 2 off her and lost one of ours but the one I bought didn’t have a band which is hard to tell the difference from she is well know for all her birds she hand raised them all not the

lmbeall

Real Name
Lauren
I know this is an old post, but our Conure has a JLS band, and we purchased them from a pet store in NC. We have their hatch certificate, and it's from Sun Pet Ltd.