• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found a canary but own a cockatiel

noclue

Checking out the neighborhood
This afternoon a neighbor gave my mom a white canary he found at his door, thinking it was hers(it wasn’t). She took it inside and it’s currently staying in my room uncaged. My mom wants to keep it saying she’ll buy a cage and everything for it tomorrow.

The bird has no leg band but doesn’t seem very scared, it even ate and drank from bowls. Im worried that if it stays it won’t be given enough attention since we already have a cockatiel. We only got her a month ago and im mainly the one taking care of her.

My mom works mornings to early afternoons. I stay in my room most of the day with my cockatiel(her cage is in my room) and I know they can’t be caged together. I believe the canary would stay in another room alone until my mom gets home as I have no more space in mine.

Would it be okay to keep the canary or should we take it somewhere? Can it be alone for long, what’s the best option for the little guy?
I don’t know if it’s wild or bred to be a pet. What should I do?

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! I would call local veterinarians' offices to let them know that you found a canary in case one of their patients have lost their bird. Putting up flyers can be helpful as well. Another good idea is to post on websites such as Craigslist Lost and Found, Facebook Lost and Found and/or ParrotAlert. Of course none of these things should be done without the prior approval of a parent.

noclue

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you! I wasn’t sure what to do, I’ll try to make an appointment for the vet tomorrow and see about putting up posters.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thank you for helping this little canary out. Whilst you wait for the owner, I would also suggest that you do not let the rescue canary near your cockatiel for several weeks. You do not know the little canary's medical history and there is a risk that illness could pass to your cockatiel. Please quarantine the canary for now. In 6-8 weeks if there is no sign of the owner and no indication of illness the canary can share the same room as your cockatiel (and like you already stated they would have their own cages).

Reactions: tka

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd also contact the local animal shelter.

Jogging around the block
Yes do try find the original owner if you can, incase they lost it.
Canaries aren't really 'people birds' like cockatiels or other parrots. They are curious birds and when tamed do not mind being close to people, but they do not suffer from a lack of human attention usually. If the bird has a large cage and some enrichment, s/he will likely be quite happy.
Wild canaries do not come in the colour of this little fellow, so he is very likely a captive bred/pet bird that either escaped or was 'released'.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
Canaries are happy being alone and just eating and flying around in their cage . The males will sing and all they want is good food. Fresh sprouts, broccoli, dandelion or lettuce , good canary seed food and a little hard boiled egg and he’ll be so happy. They actually fly and hop all lot so try yo get a big cage I find the height is important too. I have s as 32x 21x 34 cage and he used the whole thing. They also love bathing