• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found a baby superb parrot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

~birdybea~

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
I was just out taking Mickey for a walk, and towards the end of the walk something caught his attention. I looked down to see a soaking wet (it's been raining all day) baby superb parrot sitting beside the foot path. He didn't move away despite us being right beside him. When i bent down for a closer look he fluttered pathetically away. I decided it'd be best to bring him home than leave him on the ground to get eaten by a cat or dog.

The other thing that prompted me to bring him home is that superb parrots are extremely uncommon around here (i've seen a couple of them only once or twice). This makes me wonder if perhaps he's from an aviary or something. Regardless, i'll hang onto him over the weekend and try and establish if he's used to people (i.e. a pet/aviary bird) or a wild baby. If he's wild he should be able to go to the RSPCA to be released. If not, then i'm not sure!

Here's the little guy. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
He's very cute. I hope he doesn't have an illness. :(

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
I don't think he's unwell. He looks bright and alert, and isn't underweight. All the same he is separate to my fids. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Very smart. I would care for him last, then wash up real good and change clothes. Don't put his dishes with the others. Just be cautious. I hope he makes a grand recovery & can go back to the wild safely.:hug8:

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
I just said night night to all the fids, including mr baby. He's running around in the cage making totally adorable noises. :heart: Will let you know how he's going tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Omg what a cutie! I'd have brought him home as well, especially since it was raining.

Funny thing is, today I went and bought seed and the seed I get, you get a collectors card (each card is a different sort of bird) in each box, and I just happened today to get a Male Superb Parrot, lol.. how's that.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
He was sent to you for a reason, and someone knew you would take good care of him and see that he came to no more harm. Let us know what happens. good luck.

ciesana

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Meagan
He's so pretty!! I hope that he is ok. I know that you will take great care of him!!

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Renae - you must get bird munchies! :p I have a ton of those cards.

I'm somewhat worried that i may not have just found a baby, but a baby that's not yet eating well on it's own. He ate nothing last night, and this morning there is no brown part to his poops (in a i-haven't-eaten-for-a-while kind of way). I'll load the cage with a variety of easy foods this morning and hopefully he'll have eaten by the time i get home (i'm working today).

I noticed i forgot part of the story in the original post too! I was planning on going for a longer walk, but the way i was headed i noticed a big not-very-pleasant looking dog out of its yard with no people around. Strays scare me quite a bit, so i chose to turn back and come home a shorter way. I wouldn't have found this little man if not for that!

Last edited:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
awww what a cutie!

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Great find Bea! If it's not rung then assume that it's a wild bird and probably well lost given the spate of storms going through the country. Hopefully it'll start eating today and then can start the road to rehab and release.

I also found an oddity this morning - A tiel flying around out the back. It didnt want to come down and say hello but is obviously an escapee... It looked pretty healthy though :)

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I am glad you scopped the wee one up and offered a refuge to him. Hopefully the eating starts soon.

A tiel flying around out the back. It didnt want to come down and say hello but is obviously an escapee...
Do they usually fit in with a wild flock after time? They do adjust and survive I am hoping??

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
Cute little bird. Hope he is eating better.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
I am glad you scopped the wee one up and offered a refuge to him. Hopefully the eating starts soon.

Do they usually fit in with a wild flock after time? They do adjust and survive I am hoping??
Being a native they normally do well if they survive the first couple of weeks. Food's not an issue, it's developing the appropriate level of wariness from all the predators...

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Thanks Steve for the info, I feel a bit better about that Tiel you saw flying around in the back.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Awww, what a cutie. It appears fate or a higher power guided you to this little guy. You were meant to find him. Hoping all goes well. Thank you for helping him.

vancha

Sprinting down the street
Just out of curiosity, do you have hand-feeding formula in case he won't eat? I'd hate for the little guy to starve. He's adorable and I wish you both the best. :)

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
He still hasn't eaten, so i'm pretty sure he's not properly weaned yet. As he's getting used to his surroundings he's getting more nervous of people, so i think Steve is correct in guessing it's a wild bub. I have formula, but i'm really worried about stressing the baby out by trying to force feed it. He may leave me no choice though. I think the person i'm working with this weekend knows how to crop feed, so perhaps i'll take him with me to work in the morning.

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Mr Bub is being confusing! He's been making hungry baby noises since i got home so i made up some formula and offering him some on a spoon. He took several beakfuls just sitting on the perch, and then i poured some of the left over into a dish which he quickly tipped out. Then he was still making hungry baby noises, so i made some more. I put my hand in the cage and actually got him to step up (which surprised me). I cupped him in my hand and got him out of the cage (he then struggled a lot) but got a couple more spoonfuls of food into him. I can't feel much of a crop, but at least he's not totally empty anymore. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.