• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found a baby Racoon... what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BakeBeanPie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elizabeth
Ok sooooo....

To make things short I found a baby racoon that seemed to be abandoned while walking Sakima. Just before I could get Sakima back on his leash he ran after the poor thing and started shaking it because he wanted to kill and maybe eat it but thankfully I grabbed him before he could. I looked at the baby racoon and put it in the shade then walked away as he seemed ok. About 2 hours later I come back and the baby racoon is starting to walk towards the road and I kept putting it back in the trees, it was crying out and walking all over the place. It looked VERY hungry and it was extremely hot out so I decided to take it home and give it the the wild life center. (I'm sure it would have got hit by a car otherwise).

So I called the wild life center and left a message, the first 3 days I missed there calls due to my bad phone service and had to bottle feed this racoon with my mom yelling at my me 24/7. Finally I pick up there call and it seems they are full and have NO way of taking in this baby racoon, I asked about places outside of my area but they said they are full of wild animals so I should call animal control to put the baby racoon to sleep. Of course a good reason to put this baby racoon to sleep is because it needs proper care/training to live in the wild and with out that care it would die anyway.

So after some tears and hard thinking I was going to call animal control but then I just couldn't, no matter what the very thought of having this little animal put to sleep breaks my heart. I'm trying to find an animal rehabber in my area with no luck. The baby racoon is doing amazing and has gained some weight, he's also started to eat hard foods. He is being kept outside in a large cage but he NEEDS to be put back into the wild. It's not like I can just dump him back and say ''make sure you eat well''.

What should I do? I now feel horrible for taking him in the first place. :(

platinum

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sharon
If you don't want to have him put down, aren't keeping him (which I agree with) and there are no rehabbers who can take him, I guess you'll have to improvise. Make sure he's eating his natural diet at least.

I would get advise from a few rehabbers (not the ones who said to have him put down) about what to do.

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
There is some good information at this site: RAISING ORPHAN RACOONS and also links to other sites with information on releasing to the wild.

Good luck and enjoy your baby, they are so fun when little.

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
Bless you for getting this little one. He will first need to be rehydrated with Pedialyte by syringe. If you have access to KMR kitten formula, that is what he will need. Can you post a pic so as to get a good idea of how big he is and then I can help you more. Also, you can go to the US fish and wildlife conservation website to find rehabbers in your area. I can talk you through how to raise him, but it does take alot of time. They are very easy to raise, its the wilding out that can be tricky, because they bond so quickly.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh Good Cindy! This poor baby must have been so scared.

BakeBeanPie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elizabeth
Just saw where you were at, may be able to help you. Where in Canada are you?
I'm in Toronto.

I've read a lot of information on racoons but I can't find any specific ways on how to release him. The only way I could think of is building some large outdoor pen and put in wild foods they would eat and maybe even a bucket of water including live ''safe'' fish and other crayfish. I've not been handling him at all and only spend time giving him food and water.

The racoon got his chompers in so he's no longer wanting the kitten formula.

I guess he's about 7 to 8 weeks old, I'll try and get photos this Sunday.

He is doing very well.

AkCrimson

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Hillari
Oh wow.

I had the same thing happen with a Red Fox kit 2 years ago. No one would take her and I did NOT want to put her down.

Like others have said, you will just have to improvise. It might be REALLY difficult, but try not to bond with him. This will make his life that much more dangerous when released. Just do your best to keep him healthy.

What I did with my fox kit was, once she was off the soft foods, I would give her raw meat. After she got used to that, I started giving her pet store mice to kill. I know it sounds awful, but it worked really well. I brought her a dead one the first time. Next time I brought her a live one and she made the association well. I gave her the live one in her kennell and she killed it. Then I would give her one while she was in her pen, so she had to chase it.

Raccoons are definitely more scavengers, so I bet making foraging treats for him would work good! Take goodies and hide them all over the place. If he can't find them on his own at first, help him until he gets it. You cam even hide them all over the place and just carry him around while you discover the food bits all over the place.

AkCrimson

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Hillari
Holy crap, I can't even begin to explain how envious I am. We don't have raccoons in AK, but I've always been in love with them! Wow, so cute!

Keep us updates on his progress!!

Status
Not open for further replies.