• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fosters

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I’ve been doing fostering for our local Humane Society for a couple years now. It’s always been the prefect scenario for us since we have kai and our old dogo and really can’t afford the expense of another pet At the moment. So fostering let’s us have our kitties without the financial responsibility of it all. We have enjoyed helping them grow and thrive and then handing them back Healthy and well socialized knowing they will get adopted. There has been a time or two when we have gotten a bit too attached to one of the babies and it makes it so hard to give them back.

Once I even adopted one on “accident” (long but funny story) and gave him to a very good friend who now is owned by this cat. He has a very good life so no regrets.

well again I have found myself very attached to one of the fosters and have flip flopped about trying to make it work but there are two issues that make it very hard. One is Kai comes first and I just don’t need the added stress of worrying someone left a door open. And the other is my son is allergic and usually does fine with the teenies as long as it’s two or less. Once they start getting big he starts showing the allergic signs.

so it’s time I face reality and do what’s best for this lil guy and send him on his way to his new home but it’s so very hard.

I just wanted to share with those of you who get the cat thing. I’ve always always been a cat person until I became a bird person so fostering is my kitty fix

here is a
Pic of the lil guy we call Mr Purr man 308352D3-5034-4DC7-8DDA-78AEA1F64CAB.jpeg

Last edited:

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
What an adorable tiger tabby you have there. How old is he?- his eyes appear to still be blue. Thank you for working with these little guys.

I trapped five kittens this Spring and handed them over to my vet to be fostered out, so I know what you mean by it being so hard to part with them. Cats are the easiest animals in the world to love.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Oh my gosh, I want kittens so bad! :heart: I think I'm secretly a cat person at heart. I have fostered bottle baby kittens once, and foster puppies now. Mr. Purrman is adorable!:heart:

If I may, What is your set up for him? One of the big problems is my room has birds in it, so kittens wouldn't fit well there.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh my goodness- what a cutie. It's hard to give them up. I had some half wild kittens a few years ago that took up residency in my yard. I became very attached to them but a man I knew said he would take them to live on his farm. I knew it was the better thing to do but it's still hard to see them go. Hugs.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Awww he’s adorable!

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Oh my gosh, I want kittens so bad! :heart: I think I'm secretly a cat person at heart. I have fostered bottle baby kittens once, and foster puppies now. Mr. Purrman is adorable!:heart:

If I may, What is your set up for him? One of the big problems is my room has birds in it, so kittens wouldn't fit well there.
Well funny you ask because I just got this Foldable kennel off amazon and it’s going to work So much better. What we have been doing is closing off half of my daughters bedroom and as they grow gradually give them more space. But that was hard because her room was already small so I thought I’d try this option since the humane society had them on their wish list specifically for fosters.

Attachments

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Well I’m very sad :crycry: I took him back about an hour ago and I was telling myself how grown up and responsible I was being by not just thinking of my self and really putting Mr purr needs in front of my own selfish wants but it wasn’t easy.

I feel like a big meanie not letting him stay here in what became his home for the past month while he and his brother were so sick for so long. His brother went back a week ago due to a stubborn eye infection that wouldn’t clear up. So I did take some comfort in them being back together. But the way he looked at me on the car ride over I realized who he reminds me of

8D302C59-2F92-4BFD-A2AD-71036E741881.jpeg

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Well funny you ask because I just got this Foldable kennel off amazon and it’s going to work So much better. What we have been doing is closing off half of my daughters bedroom and as they grow gradually give them more space. But that was hard because her room was already small so I thought I’d try this option since the humane society had them on their wish list specifically for fosters.
Hmm, closing half the room might would work if I moved some stuff around in my room. And possibly put the kittens in a kennel/cage when the birds are out... What do you use to section off the room?

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Hmm, closing half the room might would work if I moved some stuff around in my room. And possibly put the kittens in a kennel/cage when the birds are out... What do you use to section off the room?
my daughters gymnastics mat held closed with a container of cat litter on each end. They are too little to try and get out and are very content in the space. When they start trying to escape we give them more space and then when they start escaping that We give them the whole room. By then it’s usually time for then to go back.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
my daughters gymnastics mat held closed with a container of cat litter on each end. They are too little to try and get out and are very content in the space. When they start trying to escape we give them more space and then when they start escaping that We give them the whole room. By then it’s usually time for then to go back.
I'll have to think about that. I could use some cardboard barriers. Thank you