• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fostering two mealy amazons- tell me about them!

conlinnie

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be fostering two mealy amazons for a few months while their owner handles a move. I have googled about them but I'm not finding a ton about them as pets. Are they rare?

I know about their personalities but this has sparked a lot of curiosity in me about the mealy amazon as a bird. Tell me your mealy stories and info! I look forward to learning more about them.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
They have been referred to as the gentle giants among amazons.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Gentle, smart, stubborn, loud and loves to eat most anything.

Wild numbers are dwindling though. Good talker with mine. Prices from breeders have gone up. My Kazoo was $900 10 years ago they are now around $1800

Not that popular as the colorful Amazons!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Did Claire mention loud? Mine can out yell my goffin and macaw both. Volume and pitch will drown out any TV or phone you're near!

I also agree with the gentle giant tag these birds have. I'm guessing there are some nasties out there, but mines a sweet, sassy fellow in dusty green.

Easy going, funny as all get out, loves to sing and holler. Loves to eat! This bird will eat anthing I offer. I wish all of mine were like that.