• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fostering Roosters?

Jogging around the block
I just learned that the SPCA in NZ's biggest problem is Roosters. Can't say I'm surprised but it's very sad. I feel the need to help some kind of animal if I can supply it with everything and more it needs, which roosters fit into that category. I've decided that I will not buy/adopt any more pets for a while, but I guess fostering is a bit different to adopting. I'm still undecided on if I will or not but answers to some questions would be very helpful.
This might be a bit of a silly question, but are you able to foster roosters?
Do they fight if around each other? (no hens to fight over) , I have heard they are okay like this but only from google.
Are they able to be free ranged like hens or are they different?
Do they crow/as much if there's no hens?
When fostering, if needed are you able to give the animal back?
Does the foster parent pay for vet bills?
Can the foster parent keep the animal until adopted or only for a set amount of time?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Dont know about your fostering questions- each place will be different.
Not sure about all roosters (I’ve met some scary ones in my time lol) but most of the ones I hatched and owned for a long time were fine together (and with their newer flock once rehomed) but they had a huge area to free range during most of the day. Some crowed more than others, some were more territorial and protective than others… they’re all very very different from each other.
We sent two of our mature boys to live in a flock with 20 something chooks and two other older roosters and they all got along absolutely fine. It really is dependent on the individual bird and the set up too. I’ve not really known of too many roosters that would fight or be really territorial but I’ve also not ever known people to keep them in confined yards.

@fashionfobie might be able to give you some more information

Oh, check your local laws regarding rooster keeping…. Many places won’t allow them at all.

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
I think @Birdbabe might be of use? Not sure though. I love chickens and roosters...but Shezbug's right...they can be really scary lol!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Do they fight if around each other? (no hens to fight over) , I have heard they are okay like this but only from google.
With enough space even with hens around, roosters won’t fight a lot. My guys keep to themselves and their hens.

Are they able to be free ranged like hens or are they different?
I don’t see a reason to do it differently, in fact the roosters are more observant about what’s going on around them.
Hope this was helpful :)

Jogging around the block
Dont know about your fostering questions- each place will be different.
Not sure about all roosters (I’ve met some scary ones in my time lol) but most of the ones I hatched and owned for a long time were fine together (and with their newer flock once rehomed) but they had a huge area to free range during most of the day. Some crowed more than others, some were more territorial and protective than others… they’re all very very different from each other.
We sent two of our mature boys to live in a flock with 20 something chooks and two other older roosters and they all got along absolutely fine. It really is dependent on the individual bird and the set up too. I’ve not really known of too many roosters that would fight or be really territorial but I’ve also not ever known people to keep them in confined yards.

@fashionfobie might be able to give you some more information

Oh, check your local laws regarding rooster keeping…. Many places won’t allow them at all.
Thankyou!
Yes lots of relatives have scary stories of roosters :laugh: One supposedly gave it's owner a cut that needed stitches! :confused: I could usually tell why the roosters did it thouhg.
We have a big farm here, so if I did have some they'd be free range then
Our family also wouldn't mind crowing if there was some, we sleep like rocks and usually get up at around five anyways. Excluding me haha
A lot of people around here keep them, we're very rural also. I assume we'll be fine to keep them but will check.

Jogging around the block
With enough space even with hens around, roosters won’t fight a lot. My guys keep to themselves and their hens.

I don’t see a reason to do it differently, in fact the roosters are more observant about what’s going on around them.
Hope this was helpful :)
Thankyou! It was very helpful :pinkgrin:
I wouldn't like to keep flock birds alone, so that's nice they can be together
We live on a biggg plot of land, so if I did have any they'd be free range :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Check you local council's regulations. Sadly roosters are at shelters because they are banned in many suburban areas, hens meanwhile aren't banned and chicks are extremely hard to sex unless a sex-link breed.

If you have the land ! Please adopt as many boys as you can. They are lovely and tragically misunderstood. Free range and lots of space will be best.

Let us know how you go with them :D

Jogging around the block
Check you local council's regulations. Sadly roosters are at shelters because they are banned in many suburban areas, hens meanwhile aren't banned and chicks are extremely hard to sex unless a sex-link breed.

If you have the land ! Please adopt as many boys as you can. They are lovely and tragically misunderstood. Free range and lots of space will be best.

Let us know how you go with them :D
I was not able to find much about the legalities of keeping them here, but the SPCA seems to think any rural property is legal, which we have.
They just keep getting sweeter the more videos I watch of them :xflove:
I checked out the fostering of roosters for my rescue, but they only allow fostering for unwell animals until they recover (usually 6-12 weeks apparently). I would need to know I was fostering until they were adopted so not really for me, I'd get too attached to not know if they were adopted.
But that doesn't mean I wont be doing anything for the roosters...I mean, it's only a few more birds right? ;) I might look at a set up for some once I am a bit less busy

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It is good that the SPCA believes it is alright but you should still check. In my area they base it on lot size and each council has additional policies. Chickens generally have little individual protections, unlike dogs or cats. Roosters are almost always euthanized when they are seized. Follow the laws closely to ensure their never become victims of the system. There is a good chance that the birds currently at the SPCA were former pets, this isn't the usual fate of roosters. Most of the time the poor birds , such as those that are victims of illegal cockfighting, are all euthanized. It is really tragic and sad. There is only one specific cockfighting rehabilitator I know of, they are in the US. I will link it here if you are curious: VINE Sanctuary Blog

Not sure which council you are in, I am sure you can easily do a more directed search- but as example - In Wellington you need to get a permit to keep Roosters.

Jogging around the block
It is good that the SPCA believes it is alright but you should still check. In my area they base it on lot size and each council has additional policies. Chickens generally have little individual protections, unlike dogs or cats. Roosters are almost always euthanized when they are seized. Follow the laws closely to ensure their never become victims of the system. There is a good chance that the birds currently at the SPCA were former pets, this isn't the usual fate of roosters. Most of the time the poor birds , such as those that are victims of illegal cockfighting, are all euthanized. It is really tragic and sad. There is only one specific cockfighting rehabilitator I know of, they are in the US. I will link it here if you are curious: VINE Sanctuary Blog

Not sure which council you are in, I am sure you can easily do a more directed search- but as example - In Wellington you need to get a permit to keep Roosters.

Ohh, I've found it now, I was searching for the wrong darn thing. Thankyou!
So it says '' Roosters not permitted in urban areas '' , but nothing about keeping in rural areas. I have been looking but have heard nothing against keeping roosters in rural areas, yet also nothing saying it is okay. I'm not quite sure what this means. Our neighbor (well, its a long way away from our house but still) keeps one rooster with her flock and a few people down the road also have flocks with roosters. I will definitely make sure I find someone official okaying it though, I did not know it was as strict as that. Poor birds. Thanks for the link, it's nice at least one sanctuary for them exists.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I had two roosters , brothers, saved them as babies, they got along, the occasional " Tiff",, and I would say "Boys!",, they would stop, I ended up giving them to a rescue farm , coz they got big, and yes, they crowed about 4am, they slept on my dresser in my bedroom...it was interesting, fun, and I adored those little brats,.
They couldn't stay, coz I have cockatiels,,,no one is caged here, it was for the teils safety, ...
Where I live in Arizona, no one cares if you have chickens or roosters, my neighbor has chickens, and I love hearing his rooster crow in the morning.
Just make sure of the law in your area.
IMG_20160619_163840.jpg