• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Formula

derin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Derin
I have no idea where to post this, so I guess here will work. I am researching handfeeding, just incase I need to handfeed sometime. I am not going to breed, but this information might come in handy sometime. What brand of formula works best for you? Is there any other important information I should note? I want to get into fostering sometime so I may need to handfeed at some point, according to the rescue sometimes they need volunteers to handfeed.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
First, you will want someone (in person) to show you how it all works. The actual feeding of the formula. It´s a lot easier to learn watching, observing, listening, feeling and doing rather than reading, videos and internet.

As for formula, there´s going to be a more popular option in each country. Some will have various types. For eg. I always use Nutribird A21 for my lovebirds. It can be used for many parrot species, but they also make A19 for Macs and AGs, then they have an A19 high energy (I´m not quite sure the difference between those, but I´m sure the bigger bird owners would know), then there´s a special one for Lorikeets as their diet is different to other parrots.
So choosing a formula that is manufactured for those birds is important.

When feeding formula, choose one and stick to it. Changing formula brand can upset a birds digestion and cause crop upset. If you are in an emergency and run out of one brand and need to swap, or pick up a bird being fed a poor formula or homemade formula and you want to put on a better quality formula, you must transition them over slowly.

Formula prep is important. Key things being to remove all bumps, never reuse formula (make it fresh every time), never use the microwave, feed it at 105F (40.5C) - some formulas allow to feed a couple of degrees cooler, so always check package instructions. Never feed higher than those temps.
Important to remember the ratio must be correct. And during the first week the formula prep ratio changes almost daily. Too much water and the bird can become malnourished, not enough water and the bird can become dehydrated.

Handy to have unsweetened natural coconut water on hand, or pedialyte if you can´t get that. Just in case you notice any birds skin is red, that is a sign of dehydration and you can give a few drops with a pipette.

Know your feeding utensil. Find out what you are more confident using and go for it with that. Spoons are good for novices, but a syringe is the most common.

It could be handy to learn how to gavage feed if the person showing you the handfeeding is experienced. Gavage feeding is helpful in situations where the bird is not eating the formula willingly and is losing weight. It can be helpful for sick birds, and older birds who need feeding but won´t accept the food in a syringe or spoon.

Some more info;