• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging Toy Thread for Small Beaks

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Can you please link the Food Pyramid toy from last week? I'm unable to find where I can purchase. The Parrot Shop shows its no longer available. Or the Triangle Tower, only have found Australian and New Zealand websites that offer.
I got the Food Pyramid toy from The Parrot Shop. I got my foraging triangles from a website called Busy Beaks. The triangles from Busy Beaks smells like crayons so I'm still outgassing them.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Happy Foraging Friday, Saturday everyone! We just got back home after being out of state, sorry for my delay.

This week's toy is the Snack Table by Hoot n Holler Bird Toys. Treats/pellets are hidden by foraging substrate (2mm vine balls, porcupine balls, crinkle paper, cut paper straws, large beads, etc.). It's adorable to watch pick up the 2mm vine balls and throw them on the floor. I'll try to get a photo of Sprite and Wisp with the toy for purpose of scale.

Happy Foraging!

Attachments

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Happy Foraging Friday! This Friday's foraging toy is the Caitec Push and Pull foraging system. I couldn't find a YouTube video I found long ago, but I found another video of a really smart budgie using the Push and Pull. One modification the other video used was that they took away one of the levels to make it easier for their budgies.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Happy Foraging Friday! This week's foraging toy is the Super Bird Creations toy called Bottoms Up. Made in the USA bird toys also makes a toy similar called Foraging Friends. It is meant for larger birds, but I put foraging substrate on the bottom so the treats are not too deep for my cockatiel and budgies. When I had Sulley the GCC, this was her favorite foraging toy. Plus the gear wheels at the bottom of each cup are designed to hold larger seeds like sunflower. Happy foraging! Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 10.56.23 PM.png

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Love the push and pull one will be buying that pico loves this one
Tropical Chickens Boredom Buster Foraging Box? Do you like it? I'd considered getting it but was worried about sharp edges from the acrylic.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Happy Foraging Friday Monday! I'm sorry this is late, as we just got back from a long camping weekend.

How many of you use false grass used to train puppies to potty train? Some small parrots are grass foragers so they take well to searching through the false grass for treats.

Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 10.04.48 PM.png

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
What's wrong with me? I totally forgot about Foraging Friday. I'm going to put a repeating event in my calendar so I don't forget. Are these ideas helpful and inspirational? Should I continue with Foraging Friday? Please let me know yea or nay.

Last Friday's foraging post is the Lil Monsters Seashore toy. Erwin loves finding seashells in the cute, birdie side buckets. Small treats like a single sunflower seed or a pine nut work well in these buckets.

Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 12.29.28 PM.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/cockatiel/comments/u7xsa7

Last edited:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
What's wrong with me? I totally forgot about Foraging Friday. I'm going to put a repeating event in my calendar so I don't forget. Are these ideas helpful and inspirational? Should I continue with Foraging Friday? Please let me know yea or nay.

Last Friday's foraging post is the Lil Monsters Seashore toy. Erwin loves finding seashells in the cute, birdie side buckets. Small treats like a single sunflower seed or a pine nut work well in these buckets.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cockatiel/comments/u7xsa7
Yes, yes, and yes! I love all the ideas and cute toys! I have it bookmarked for my boys. And it is nice you have tried most of them so you really see the appeal.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Happy Foraging Friday. I remembered to post on a Friday, for once. This week's foraging toy is the Ferris Wheel by Penn Plax. Bowie loved this toy, but it's really for gentle beaks. Sulley destroyed it by flipping the plastic and breaking a "seat" on the wheel.

Here's a photo of Bowie looking proud next to the Ferris Wheel:
Godzilla.JPG

Here are two videos showing small beaks:

Happy Foraging!

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
Happy Foraging Friday, Saturday everyone! We just got back home after being out of state, sorry for my delay.

This week's toy is the Snack Table by Hoot n Holler Bird Toys. Treats/pellets are hidden by foraging substrate (2mm vine balls, porcupine balls, crinkle paper, cut paper straws, large beads, etc.). It's adorable to watch pick up the 2mm vine balls and throw them on the floor. I'll try to get a photo of Sprite and Wisp with the toy for purpose of scale.

Happy Foraging!
I must have missed this post about the Snack Table when you first posted it, but I found it today! I have been thinking about getting a few for my Hahn's macaw's cage: her cage is pretty big, but she tends to stay in one spot. I put her main food and water dishes on one side, but I have been trying to lure her over to explore the other side. I saw on the Hoot n Holler website a recommendation to get a few snack tables and position them like stairs to get birds moving around the cage, but I wonder if she would be able to stand on the "table" while she munches, or if it would require a perch with each table?

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I must have missed this post about the Snack Table when you first posted it, but I found it today! I have been thinking about getting a few for my Hahn's macaw's cage: her cage is pretty big, but she tends to stay in one spot. I put her main food and water dishes on one side, but I have been trying to lure her over to explore the other side. I saw on the Hoot n Holler website a recommendation to get a few snack tables and position them like stairs to get birds moving around the cage, but I wonder if she would be able to stand on the "table" while she munches, or if it would require a perch with each table?
I'd reach out to Kate at Hoot n' Holler about the Snack Table. I believe they make a small and larger size. They also make harder Snack Tables too. My birds have stood on their Snack Table, or on a perch next to either, but I also don't have a larger bird like a Hanh's Macaw. I've asked Kate quite a few questions and she's good about returning emails. I know she makes a small and large foraging box that you can buy with or without a perch. Kate has been good about making recommendations based on my birds preferences.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
I love those snack tables. I bought a mess of them from Hoot n' Holler! I have turned a couple of them over and use them as inside the door perches. Hiccup sits there when he wants to come out of his cage to play. I included a new one in my toy rotation for Hiccup. I loaded up the holes and the vine balls with little things to occupy his beak. He vigorously searched for treats and surprises!

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I need to post Foraging Friday tonight because I'll be out of internet range tomorrow because I'll be camping.

This week's foraging toy is based off of the SB751 PVC Forager by Superbird Creations. I thought the 3 x 8 x 5" (7.62 x 20.32 x 12.7 cm) Superbird PVC forager would be too large for my birds so I made two smaller ones. The 3/4" (1.9 cm) PVC elbow uses bird safe wire, pony beads on the inside of the pipe (to keep the lids propped up), modified take-out ramekins lids, and vet tape to pad the wire ends. The 1" (2.54 cm) PVC elbow uses hemp string, pony beads, and ramekin lids. My cockatiels and budgies like the 1" size best, but I think the wire works better than string. I like using the clear ramekin lids because my birds seem to be more motivated to forage when they can see the treats or pellets inside. This toy works well for seed, pellets, millet, and Nutriberries.

Flock Talk has made a nice tutorial on how to make a PVC pipe forager.

Attachments

Last edited:

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Happy Foraging Friday!

This week I'd like to focus on using Planet Pleasures toys for foraging. Their woven palm leaf designs provides small spaces to hide pellets, seeds, and treats. I've used the Bird Tire with Stars, Sunflower, Pineapple Foraging Toy, Caterpillar, Cluster Square Balls for this purpose. My favorite is the Bird Tire with Star because I can shove pellets in the tight weaving without them falling out. My least favorite is the Pineapple Foraging Toy because smaller seeds and pellets fall out of its pedals. Perhaps it's newer cousin the Durian Foraging toy, whose pedals are 180 degrees different than the Pineapple, would fit smaller pellets and seeds better but I haven't tried that yet. Toys like Tire Foot toy are great foraging toys for smaller beaks that can hold things in their feet. I've provided some photos showing what these toys look like, and some videos showing what these toys look like in action.

Happy Foraging!
Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 9.26.04 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 8.57.35 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 9.18.53 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 9.17.46 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 8.58.33 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 8.58.28 AM.png
https://www.reddit.com/r/cockatiel/comments/vub1i8

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
My budgies love the foraging pineapple. My tiel I had in the past, loves the little foraging boxes and stars.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Happy Foraging Friday!

This week's foraging toy is the Caitec Four Corner Foraging Carousel. I have mixed feelings about this toy; it's really made for larger birds but smaller birds can use it. Because the containers are for larger birds, they are deeper so I used foraging substrate as a base before adding treats. Bowie learned how to open two of the doors and Sulley was learning it. It is a more challenging foraging toy, and teeny tiny beaks probably couldn't use it but I'm not sure. Have you tried this one for your smaller bird? What do you think of it?

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 10.32.15 PM.png

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I wish Kaytee made the Peek 'n Pull Forager. It's the only drawer system I've found that seems suitable for smaller beaks. I don't suppose anyone has seen one for sale?
Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 10.46.05 PM.png

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Happy Foraging Friday!

This week's toy is a type of foraging maze, but different from a foraging wheel as it stationary and does not spin. I've found it called both "Acrylic Foraging Wheel" and "Four Level Foraging Hanging Wheel". It reminds of a more simple version of the Birdie Plunk by Zoo Max. The chain is stainless steel, but I swapped it out for a bolt with washers to make it easier on my birds who are just learning basic foraging skills. I'll be honest, it's rather messy for seed and pellets, but I've found it's nice for Nutriberries or sunflower seeds for Erwin. This toy is a little bit on the large size for smaller beaks but Erwin seems to do okay with it for sunflower seeds and the Budgie Boys like finding seeds with it.

Attachments