• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging Toy Thread for Small Beaks

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I'd like to start this to show the different foraging toys ideas I've had for small beaks. I've often been frustrated by the lack of puzzle foraging toys for smaller parrots, so I've often made my own or adapted ones for bigger beaks.

This is the Caitec Cage Mounted Buffet Ball. It's meant for larger birds, but I've adapted it but put straws in the holes and layering the food on top of or around the straws.

Attachments

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nutz Samiches

The sola ones i push the treat straight into the sola the cork,mahogany etc i push the treat between pine and the insert if that makes sense. 20220317_192821.jpg

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Love post like this gives me good ideas all your foraging ideas are brill here’s a few of mine

pico fav is the rabbit toy stuffed with millet seeds and nurtiberry or the paper basket filledwith millet pieces he as to find in paper

Attachments

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
@WikiWaz i think I saw one of urs in any post drinks holder with bun cases ? That looked brill

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Love post like this gives me good ideas all your foraging ideas are brill here’s a few of mine

pico fav is the rabbit toy stuffed with millet seeds and nurtiberry or the paper basket filledwith millet pieces he as to find in paper
I love that toilet paper roll idea!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I love that toilet paper roll idea!
That’s one of pico fav too he’s pulled all paper out of front to get to seeds there’s normally paper in both ends

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Yes sorry uk this one loved this idea what have you filled them with ?
I used the bun papers to hold the loose seeds and foraging substrate. The bun on the left is shredded mahogany pod substrate with seeds. The bun on the back left is sola chip substrate mixed with seeds. The bun on the right is timothy hay substrate mixed with seeds. The one on the back right is a foraging toy that is one of Sulley's favorites. I have attached some pictures. I got this toy from amazon.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I made this one, I call it a foraging scale. I based it off of this video. Here is a video of Bowie using it.

This is a picture of Sulley getting a Nutri-Berry out of one cup.
View attachment 404642
I made something similar ages ago but took them apart gonna make some bit tomorrow for foraging ill see if i can do something similar.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I made something similar ages ago but took them apart gonna make some bit tomorrow for foraging ill see if i can do something similar.
I used 1/4" paper rope for mine with bamboo as the rod which connects the cups. The original video I think used a big popsicle stick. It's a really fun toy that ALL of my little beaks have loved.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didnt make the foraging swing as i couldnt see any space where i could put it at the moment but i did a few things.
20220319_160341.jpg
I liked the toilet roll tube with lolly sticks going through it so done the same with paper cups.
20220319_165121.jpg 20220319_165126.jpg
I liked the idea of straws in the buffet ball added some crinkle paper so its not to easy.
20220319_165103.jpg
Simplest foraging toy in the world Mojo or Kiki will go through all of them in no time to find a treat or not.
20220319_165118.jpg 20220319_165213.jpg
This also has straws in under the stuff ive dumped on top.

Tammeles from Nutz spelt wrong no doubt.
20220319_165113.jpg
They are big but excelent foot toy that gives the girls a bit of a workout, and if they get the cork out they get a nutriberri
This is good for some dried fruit,piece of nut or millet.
20220319_165107.jpg
I saw this on @Peachfaced thread i think liked how simple it was so put one together this afternoon.
20220319_171356.jpg

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
@Wardy it looks like it works better with a cup actually like the idea u can hang it too will have to try with paper cup some brill ideas there love the straws

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
@Wardy the bottom one brill definitely going to try that

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Wardy it looks like it works better with a cup actually like the idea u can hang it too will have to try with paper cup some brill ideas there love the straws
Mojo and KiKi both went crazy when they saw me cutting straws and hanging the cups above there cages, they havent had either for a while.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I didnt make the foraging swing as i couldnt see any space where i could put it at the moment but i did a few things.
View attachment 404711
I liked the toilet roll tube with lolly sticks going through it so done the same with paper cups.
View attachment 404712 View attachment 404713
I liked the idea of straws in the buffet ball added some crinkle paper so its not to easy.
View attachment 404716
Simplest foraging toy in the world Mojo or Kiki will go through all of them in no time to find a treat or not.
View attachment 404714 View attachment 404718
This also has straws in under the stuff ive dumped on top.

Tammeles from Nutz spelt wrong no doubt.
View attachment 404719
They are big but excelent foot toy that gives the girls a bit of a workout, and if they get the cork out they get a nutriberri
This is good for some dried fruit,piece of nut or millet.
View attachment 404720
I saw this on @Peachfaced thread i think liked how simple it was so put one together this afternoon.
View attachment 404721
"I liked the toilet roll tube with lolly sticks going through it so done the same with paper cups."
I really like your modification for conures. So then Mojo and Kiki take out the popsicle stick to get the treat?

"I liked the idea of straws in the buffet ball added some crinkle paper so its not to easy."
Another way of upping the challenge is to put a ball inside the buffet ball, like this.

"They are big but excelent foot toy that gives the girls a bit of a workout, and if they get the cork out they get a nutriberri
This is good for some dried fruit,piece of nut or millet."
Wow, your girls have strong feet! Sulley always drops the nutriberry, always.

View attachment 404720
"I saw this on @Peachfaced thread i think liked how simple it was so put one together this afternoon."
What materials did you use to make this?
View attachment 404721
I love this nutri-berry cage, what a wonderful idea, like the Natures Instinct Tiki Takeout Foraging Bird Toy. But yours is more adapted for small beaks.

What great ideas, @Wardy! Thanks for sharing!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Mojo and KiKi both went crazy when they saw me cutting straws and hanging the cups above there cages, they havent had either for a while.
Haha hopefully they didn’t get through them too fast and u got a bit of peace n quiet for ur hard work

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
This is a great thread! My budgies aren't big chewers so they need easy foraging toys. I haven't had any ideas.