• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging Ideas

Chloster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chloe
Hi all! I’m trying to find DIYs for foraging toys/activities for my Jardine parrot. I’m going to sift through the resources already stored here but was wondering what all you lovely people do for your medium sized birds? I’m looking for some inspiration.
My parrot loves to chew things and I’ve seen those plastic foraging toys that birds have to turn to get a treat but I know if I get him something like that he’ll only end up chewing the plastic bits (which I want to avoid).
I’ve tried using wicker balls and stuffing a treat inside and then putting paper that he has to pull out to get to the treat. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am not sure if you saw this section, DIY Drive , but it is all threads about DIY toys.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
I cut strips of cardboard and push sunflower seeds in shells into the cardboard. I push them not directly in, but up and down sort of between the layers of the cardboard. I started with just straight in and it was easier. Then up and down with just a bit sticking out to make it more difficult. Then I weave it between or clip it to their cage bars. It takes them a bit of work to get them out and keeps them entertained. They don't get sunflower seeds anywhere else.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
My conure is still learning how to forage and had a blast when I stuffed a finger trap with crinkle paper and put in some sunflower seeds in there shells.