• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging ideas

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
Hey everyone - this cage is the exact one I have for Lemon and Pi (though my ladder/2nd level is on the other side). I have all kinds of toys in it for them, water on the bottom, large enclosed feeding tray on the second level and a small dish for veggies mixed with millet and oats (trying to encourage them to eat fruits and veggies, Pi's beak was so messy this morning from it LOL).

What kind of foraging things would work for budgies in a space like this? I got the largest cage I could afford (actual cage 30"L x 18.5"W x 36"D) so that they have lots of space to fly and play as I can't let them out often (2 cats and a large dog). I want to keep them happy and active. Lots of the foraging I have read up on seem to be for larger birds. I'd love to hear what others here use! Bird cage.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: lyx

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have a little wicker basket- well, had, my too ate it- that I just filled with little toys, wood beads, a couple almonds, etc. that my cockatoo would root around in. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. :) You can also take finger traps and hide treats in them and stuff them with crinkle paper. My cockatiel liked those a lot.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I love foraging toys! Here is a link to my shop, not to say "buy from me!" but rather so you get some ideas of things you can use: Bird toys for small parrots cockatiels by LilMonstersBirdToys

Vine balls, wicker baskets, cups, coin papers....pretty much anything you can hide a treat in is an opportunity for foraging!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Boo - you don't ship to Canada :( BUT your shop does give me more ideas :)

I do ship to Canada, I just don't have it set up as a standard option because it varies SO much depending on what you buy. If you do want something, let me know and I can set up a custom listing for you :)

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
Oo I will definitely have to have a more thorough look! Yeah, shipping here plus exchange rate sucks...it's why I splurged and got Amazon Prime. I'm in New Brunswick, Canada - everything cost an arm and a leg to come here (not always, but more often than not).

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My CAG loves to scratch around the bottom of her cage, so I fill a large glass casserole dish with torn paper, raffia and strips of krinkled paper from the dollar store and then scatter seed and pellets inside. Sometimes I'll also add a large ceramic or stainless steel bowl or two arranged the same way.

Also the usual: food/treats wrapped in paper then stuffed in paper cups/toilet paper tubes then stuffed in bigger cardboard boxes then (sometimes) stuffed in bigger boxes.

My CAG is smart, but she doesn't seem to care for the food puzzle boxes I have.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My keets love anything with crinkle paper and they love vine toys. They also go through finger traps like crazy.

They like small chains, I guess it feels good in their beak? They will just sit and fumble the chain around in their beak. I haven't tried this with my keets yet, but my conure loves when I stick treats through the chain links on his toys. I usually use dried hot peppers, cinnamon sticks, and dried green beans.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I would put several Feeding cups(wich can also be hanging baskets, cups on the Floor, lots of different options!) in there, fill each one with lots of beads and foot toys, sprinkle seeds through them(of course you have to teach them to throw out the beads and such gradually!) and cover thosr with (several layers of) paper(that Will only work with actual cups). Small cups with lids they have to open, pillholders they have to open, cardboard boxes they have to shred to get to a Treat inside, and a foraging plate on the Floor. Put a few seeds on the plate together with rocks, toys and beads. Seeds/pellets in (several) coffeefilters and you can put those in several places around the cage. They might also like crinckled paper:)

lyx

Sprinting down the street
I haven't got any extra tips for you, but I'm making note of everyones ideas for myself :D Let me know how your fids find them!