• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging for small birds

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
My lovebirds really like to forage, but with pre made foraging toys it is hard to judge if the size will be right for them. They are even smaller then conures, and might not have the strength to manipulate some of them. I should add, at the moment they are not so into puzzles lately(hormonal), so they are slower with figuring then out.
Feel free to add your own! Home made ideas are welcome too if course. I would love to see what you're (small) birds are up to.
These are the ones I tried, I rated them like @Mizzely has done with her foraging toy reviews:) Best point is 5, lowest a 1.
IMG_20201013_134444546.jpg
Creative foraging box by caitec
Henkie: 2
Fëanor: 2
Me: 3
I like this one, offers a lot of opportunities to vary. For example, I could fill it with crinkled paper, wood chips, little balls, beads, little packages filled with treats etc. My birds don't really get the idea of chewing open a box, but are getting there slowly. That is why their rating is low. I have to actively show then to work on it, otherwise they will use it as a platform! Originally the maker wants you to keep buying replacement cardboards, but I don't think I will. I can basically with cardboard or paper. The original cardboard comes with a system where you fold the cardboard into box form, and shove something in(will take a picture later!) And in theory you should have several boxes inside the big box. I don't find that works very well, it kept collapsing. A lower rating because of that.

IMG_20201013_175302321.jpg IMG_20201013_132314384.jpg
Foraging wheel by caitec(normal size)
Fëanor: 5
Henkie:3
Me:4
Fëanor loves this one, and is very good at manipulating it. Henkie is usually into puzzles, this one not so much though. Probably because Fëanor loves it and empties it pretty quickly, it is easier to scavenge the remains fea worked for!
So overall they like it, when fea is not the first one to go for it when I refill it, Henkie gives it a try and does a decent job. There is a big flaw however. I fill it with seeds, and those fall out soo easily. I use an amazon mix with some dried veggies etc and bigger grains, because seeds like millet get stuck between the panels making it very difficult to turn. My birds don't like to work for veggies or pellets(pellets they don't mind doing a little work like eating from a bowl with beads mixed in, but they only eat veggies from a plate). Next time I will fill it with substrate(pressed paper pellets) mixed with some seeds, maybe it won't fall out so easily that way. Now as soon as I put it in, a part falls out already. It is meant for bigger treats, but if I find a way to overcome that, it will be mine and the birds favorite.

IMG_20201013_163839200.jpg
Trixie dog activity board
Henkie: 5
Me: 5
They both love this one. It took some time to master the part where the have to move the lever, the other two are quite easy. They have to throw that tower over(there are two) and move the discs at the back. Only bad point is that sometimes treats get stuck in it, but a round in the dishwasher or a thorough cleaning by hand will fix that.

IMG_20201013_134406390.jpg
Back zoo nature foraging tower
Henkie: 3
Fëanor: 4
Me: 4
Not sure if this one is available in other countries(I'm in the Netherlands), but I thought I would add it anyway. With this one they have to move the too lids to reveal the openings where you could hide something. Every level has one open cup and one that is just solid wood. I would have liked two cups on every side, but no big drawback. It is a bit heavy to move for them, but overall they like it.

IMG_20201013_134326327.jpg IMG_20201013_134342511.jpg
Foraging tower by caitec
Me: 3
The birds are still getting to know this one. They don't seem to like the idea of pulling the drawers open, and overall pay little attention to it. I think this will change in the future though. I find it a bit tricky to find a good position for this one. Henkie has bad feet, hanging it free swinging in the cage is not an option with this one, that would be too difficult for him. At least for now. They can and do successfully open the drawers. A big drawback for me, is that they cannot reach the bottom of the drawers with their beaks. I fixed this by putting layers of cardboard in, but this will be a pain to clean and get right again. Without the layers of cardboard they could get the little heads stuck. Overall, it is okay.

IMG_20201013_134318756.jpg
Caitec hide away
Henkie: 5
This one is great, both of the boys love it. This one comes with pre made covers of cardboard as well, but covering it with paper works well too in my experience. They love to swing on this and grab some food out of it. Drawbacks are that seeds/pellets get stuck in it sometimes and depending on how the birds play with it, it falls out a little easy. I mostly don't fill it with a lot of food and cover in two layers of paper.

IMG_20201013_132934859.jpg IMG_20201013_132954586.jpg
The barrel of fun
Henkie: 4
Fëanor: 3
Fëanor gets a bit frustrated with this one, but Henkie likes to work on it. The idea is to push it closed, and twist to the side. You can vary the twist, to vary the degree of difficulty. It is not very heavy to move for them, to my surprise. I don't see any bad points on this one, except the birds are still learning to manipulate it. That is the point of course!

IMG_20201013_133421100.jpg
Zoo max foraging tower
Henkie: 4
I haven't tried this one a lot yet, but so far I am very positive. They have to pull out the discs to make the food drop. The discs don't come out all the way so you can't loose them. The birds get the gist of it, but need to get better. They were very interested so far and got it two times with my help. There is a bowl at the bottom so treats can be eaten in peace. Of course Henkie takes it out anyway, but it is a good idea!

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
Thank you for this! I’m going to look and see if I can get something similar in the US for my parrotlet. Every time I go looking for a foraging toy their always to big for her but the tower one made of wood is great cause she would tear that one up lol

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Love the reviews! So helpful for us with littles :) :bliss:

but if I find a way to overcome that, it will be mine and the birds favorite.
Why not use just millet clusters instead of seeds? and a few pellets for variety.
I got a foraging cup from Matto and it was similar; seeds would fall through, so I use millet clusters and it is perfect, the hulls fall through the bottom and out, and the cluster stays inside while they eat it or pick it up and take it away.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Love the reviews! So helpful for us with littles :) :bliss:

Why not use just millet clusters instead of seeds? and a few pellets for variety.
I got a foraging cup from Matto and it was similar; seeds would fall through, so I use millet clusters and it is perfect, the hulls fall through the bottom and out, and the cluster stays inside while they eat it or pick it up and take it away.
Oh I had not thought about that! I am gonna try that right away and see how they get on with it:)

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Thanks!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Great reviews! :thumbsup: There are a few I've not seen before that are probably available here. I really want to try the Trixie Dog Activity Board & maybe the Barrel of Fun! :cantwait:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
IMG_20201013_134406390.jpg
Back zoo nature foraging tower
Not sure if this one is available in other countries(I'm in the Netherlands),
There is something suuuper similar for the UK guys on Scarletts:
They stock some ofthe plastic foragers too ;)

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Do ya'll have any reccomendations for an all-day forger? I want something Felix can have in his cage all day, and entertain him (close-to) all day. I like the barrel of fun, but i don't know if he'd use it very long. Do ya'll think the foraging wheel would be a good choice?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I want something Felix can have in his cage all day, and entertain him (close-to) all day. I like the barrel of fun, but i don't know if he'd use it very long. Do ya'll think the foraging wheel would be a good choice?
I think the wheel would be better than the barrel because the barrel only has one compartment, whereas the wheel has various. I would not use the back zoo nature tower as it looks like something that needs to be used under supervision (toes could get stuck in moving parts).
You could couple that with a foraging basket too so there´s more choice; Forage/Foot Toy Basket

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I think the wheel would be better than the barrel because the barrel only has one compartment, whereas the wheel has various. I would not use the back zoo nature tower as it looks like something that needs to be used under supervision (toes could get stuck in moving parts).
You could couple that with a foraging basket too so there´s more choice; Forage/Foot Toy Basket
Perfect!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you all!:)

For which birds would you like the foraging board @faislaq ? I think it would be too small for most of your fids:shy:
This is a picture of it with Fea:
IMG_20200527_195820345.jpg

@scrape Yeah like Zara said that tower could be dangerous:) both actually, there is always someone with then though and if there is not, they get the wheel, barrel of fun, hide away and/or foraging box with their home made stuff.
For all day entertainment I would go for several things, like a cup filled with foot toys/something else your bird enjoys like beads, filled with some treats. Those treats could be pellets wrapped in some paper/coffeefilter, some plain seeds strewn in it anything really. This will be messy though, as they throw all the beads/toys out.
I also have a couple babyspoons(those thick plastic ones) that I use. I wrap the 'cup' part with a couple layers of newspaper with some pellets inside. Easy and quick and keeps them busy for a bit.
Hide away and foraging wheel I can really recommend, at least they work for my fids perfectly.
They have more stuff but this seems to keep them the busiest. I keep a SS plate on the bottom of their cage filled with stuff and they spend a lot of time there and in cups where they can throw stuff out. The plate has to be cleaned practically every day, sometimes it lasts two days. That they love it so much partially has to do with them being ground foragers though, so for your conure I am not sure.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
For which birds would you like the foraging board @faislaq ? I think it would be too small for most of your fids:shy:
I was thinking of it for the goffins girls, but it looked too big on Amazon. I couldn't imagine your guys using it! Your picture helps a lot. :tup:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I would have thought the barrel of fun toy would be ok for a goffins? Here it is listed as ¨suitable for all bird types¨ ....

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I would have thought the barrel of fun toy would be ok for a goffins? Here it is listed as ¨suitable for all bird types¨ ....
I hope so. I'm really wanting to get that one for Luv Bug because it looks tricky. Nothing challenges her for long.

It's the dog activity board that looked too big. :wideyed:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hehe yeah I thought it would be for your girls! I have never seen a bird of their species in real so no clue how big they really are, but I thought I would warn you:) It is pretty sturdy though, I give the rottweiler a go at it when it goes in the dishwater anyway, and she doesn't break it. While she is pretty rough on it!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think if it is big enough for a rottweiler, surely it is big enough for a Goffins? :)
My Jacob would never use that - forrage for treats?! He would never!He´s a spoilt snob :rolleyes:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you all!:)
@scrape Yeah like Zara said that tower could be dangerous:) both actually, there is always someone with then though and if there is not, they get the wheel, barrel of fun, hide away and/or foraging box with their home made stuff.
For all day entertainment I would go for several things, like a cup filled with foot toys/something else your bird enjoys like beads, filled with some treats. Those treats could be pellets wrapped in some paper/coffeefilter, some plain seeds strewn in it anything really. This will be messy though, as they throw all the beads/toys out.
I also have a couple babyspoons(those thick plastic ones) that I use. I wrap the 'cup' part with a couple layers of newspaper with some pellets inside. Easy and quick and keeps them busy for a bit.
Hide away and foraging wheel I can really recommend, at least they work for my fids perfectly.
They have more stuff but this seems to keep them the busiest. I keep a SS plate on the bottom of their cage filled with stuff and they spend a lot of time there and in cups where they can throw stuff out. The plate has to be cleaned practically every day, sometimes it lasts two days.
Hopefully Felix will get more advanced at foraging. Is the cup you make just hung up on string? Or is it tied to the cage? And how big of a cup (or basket) do you use?